Spline Loft Sculpture

I guess you´re talking about Layer->Geometry->Add
And yes Cheetah3d draws all polygons as separate path objects - normally grouped with one square for the UV template. Why Affinity Designer dissolves the group escapes me - and the result on an arc-like shape is questionable - compared to Inkscape:
AffinityD.jpg
Inkscape.jpg

Hi Frank, it's actually Layer/Geometry/Combine in order to combine path objects.

For me Cheetah doesn't unwrapping all on the white square, sometimes it's spread out below the square.

Inkscape is first on my list of programs to acquire after an OS upgrade.

Where do you find "Combine" in Affinity Designer? Combining (Layer->Create Compound: failed miserably or Layer->Geometry->Merge Curves) or Compound Paths will retain all objects into one single path object - what you don´t want:
path508nodes.jpg

And yes you´re responsible for the UV layout in the end. Packing always can be optimised.

Last edited:
Thanks! Now that's what I call a case of regression. Which version are you using right now? I wouldn´t update honestly.
Edit: No "Merge" will make it a Compound Path while "Make Compound" destroys the whole thing.

Yes - but I´m surprised and will throw a bug report. Can you tell me which version you´re using?
VectorStyler has a problem as well with Boolean->Add while Inkscape and abandoned Intaglio make a clean shape in 1 click.

Edit: Thanks for the info and the testing. (y)

All curves are "stepped" unless you make them "smooth". Not sure if the Laser can draw "curves". Most dxf files for CAM are just containing straight line sections. Just saying.

All curves are "stepped" unless you make them "smooth". Not sure if the Laser can draw "curves". Most dxf files for CAM are just containing straight line sections. Just saying.
The finished sculpture will be covered with something which will allow for a smooth surface.
I understand in math/physics all curves are made of straight line segments.

I'm having a really hard time with Affinity Designer's lack of selection tools.

I can't find a lasso type selection tool, so I keep selecting
parts from other ribs, and I can't even deselect those parts. o_O🤪

AD selection problem.jpg

It would be easier to select when the polygons have a fill color - otherwise you have to hit the edge - but will never know which edge belongs to which: select 1 polygon - Select->Select Same->Stroke color - give a fill color you can delete or set to no fill when finished.

Back