Spline Loft Sculpture

That made it possible, thanks Frank.

UV blues.jpg

The first three curved elements should be ready for the laser cutter.

But the radically curved intersecting elements need
to be redone because the new feet are in the way.

I still think my original design was a better solution.

This is the first and last intersecting ribs from C1d and C2a.

Hybrid rib.jpg

Hi, the issue with the feet are not ideal, but that should be no problem because..

1. I build element1 completely, then I can cut most of the feet anyway
2. I build the parts for element 2 with its own feet, the upper part has no feet. Some of the feet will have element2 ribs to mount and align them, then, the feet are not ideal but they dont disturb that much as long as element 2 is not completely covered by the food.

Maybe it better to move a bit the food on that rib that has element2 as well... but this should be evaluated best when all ribs are done...

To make sure I'm doing this right let me see if I understand.

You wanted me to incorporate the ribs from C1d and C2a every six or so ribs.
I'll call them hybrid ribs. And the in between ribs for C2a will be separate.
Bottom C2a sections will have it's own feet, and top will not.

Do you still want the 4mm pilot holes in C2 for the carbon rods?

I think when I build to upper part of element2, they also have to have feet, otherwise it will be impossible to align and build. Yes, to have some hybrid ribs in element 1 would be great, but these ribs should not be missing in element 2, even they are theortically at the same place.

I element 1 and 2 share the same bottom part of the foot, x=0, that would perfect and very easy to align everything. :)

I built the hybrid ribs for C1d/C2a.
I made 4mm octagonal pilot holes.
I made new feet for two of the ribs, to accommodate the added ribs.

I'm going to make the next section C1e/C2b so that the whole thing can be built together.

Hybrid ribs.jpg

This is a more complicated setup than any so far so I'm
breaking it down to the sections between the Hybrid Ribs.

The space between ribs is 20mm or a bit more than 3/4" for those used to imperial measure.
I have to constantly convert to inches to give me a better sense of scale.

Here's a build sequence with the first section.

buildsequence02.gif

The thin rib sections between the Hybrid ribs will be built separately and added.
The top section looks good but I see a problem with the bottom section.

The added thin rib pieces are bracketed by the two hybrid
ribs and there is only one showing for the bottom section.

Maybe I should incorporate the bottom thin ribs
with the main ribs for more hybrid ribs.

build with thin ribs.jpg

I my imagination too many hybrid ribs are counterproductive, because the are just for aligning and giving strength to the joint of the two elements. For every hybrid rib I had to cut element2. I think the less the better, and maybe not the first rib because then the hybrid rib can be made invisible easily.

And when having too many hybrid ribs it destroys the advantage of build the elements seperately, so maybe just two for each segment? but nevertheless.. everything will work somehow.. that rib technique is already helping so incredible thats the main aspect.

hmm.. I think the hybrid rib should be not the last or the first, the one beside that should be better because I hink i will not screw it anyway, element2 will be glued and pemermamentally fixed, so it would be cleaned not to use the first and last for this..

Back