Spline Loft Sculpture

I think to build the curved elements seperately would be great, and it should be no problem to strengthen the main element where the parts should be mounted. Building the elements with ribs is final, that should work best. Seeing the elements combined and the legs attached in one piece of hdf makes me worried about the material that has to used. There will be a lot of material wasted and having hundreds of ribs means hundreds of smaller hdf plates… which will be very expensive… :/

The workflow of Eric in #280 is the way i have in mind…

Perhaps I should just start building the first part of the curved elements, the part without the intersecting elements… then I can test the workflow, the weight, the stability and the finish. Just the first curved element… ;) That would be a nice and interesting start. :)

I think to build the curved elements seperately would be great, and it should be no problem to strengthen the main element where the parts should be mounted. Building the elements with ribs is final, that should work best. Seeing the elements combined and the legs attached in one piece of hdf makes me worried about the material that has to used. There will be a lot of material wasted and having hundreds of ribs means hundreds of smaller hdf plates… which will be very expensive… :/

The workflow of Eric in #280 is the way i have in mind…

Perhaps I should just start building the first part of the curved elements, the part without the intersecting elements… then I can test the workflow, the weight, the stability and the finish. Just the first curved element… ;) That would be a nice and interesting start. :)

There is one thing you can do to save on materials, always fill empty space with other parts if possible.
The larger pieces will need to be cut on a suitably sized laser cutter, but they do make some huge ones.

Element C1a, the first curved element, I will set that up the same way I did with C1d.

I set up C1d and C1e, the radical ones, so they can be built together.
The "feet" hold them at the correct height and I can continue the same
way so the entire assembly will be at relatively the same height.

It occurred to me that you may be able to cut the foot off of each rib after you add the next rib.
That will provide better access when cutting away the excess foam.

Simulated hot wire cutting:

hot wire pink.jpg

For the legs of the first three curved elements C1a,b and c, I was
going to keep them at the same level as the radical C1d and C1e.

This would make the legs very long.
It may be better to keep them shorter.

Legwork.jpg

I have been thinking about transportation and assembly.

What is available for transportation, truck, van or car?
Is the installation permanent, prolonged or short?
How will these curved pieces be supported?

To make smaller pieces for easy transport maybe a simple twist lock.

The end pieces/ribs will need to be thicker than 3mm.
You could also incorporate a locking latch mechanism.

Sculpture Joint.jpg

Hi, the whole Sculpture will be divided into three parts, so each part should be around 1m. The first part is really just one thin part. The curved element should be an extra part. Gerald

Btw. Since there is no deadline there is no fixed exhibition planed, noone knows of this sculpture. When everything is finished, wich I hope will be in 2023 I really want to show that with some of my other works… but as the art world is not so easy to foresee everything I just can hope I can show it sometime somewhere… but I think there will be the opportunity sooner or later… ;) I am very happy to build that after some years of not working on new works..

Well I think it's a cool project, and I'm glad to help, but I'm afraid
I'm going to have to charge you double what we agreed on.

Let's see 2 x 0 = 0

All kidding aside, I am enjoying doing this, especially with
my good friends Frank and Helmut keeping an eye on things.

Here's a preview of C1a's ribs and feet.

The one change I made was making the holes for the carbon
rods smaller so they can be drilled out during assembly.

C1a ribs preview.jpg

Hi Eric,
I think every element, here C1, will be build on its own, so the legs could be way smaller, at the first rib they could be nearly on the ground, it would be nice to make them as small as possible (of course they should still have one equal fix point with x,y=0) to make the cutting more material effective. Maybe the best would be to place them under the ribs, so they will standing on its own because the center of gravity is right under the rib (ok, that cg thing may not be possible with other elements), when placing the legs on the straight bottom part it should be easier the cut them and get the right form because it is just a straight line. Why doing the holes doing smaller? If its easier for you just to do them very small, then of course I can drill them later, but if doesnt matter for you, you could do them already in the correct size, maybe lets do 4mm, that should be more than enough. :)

Hi Gerald,
I'll try to make the feet smaller for each section.
You had said something about drilling the holes by hand so I
made them pilot holes, I can make them whatever you want.

You're going to have to drill them out anyway because
the laser cuts a straight hole and these holes are at an angle.

So 4mm or back to 6mm?

Hi,
thanks a lot, yes 4mm should be enough. It would be nice if the gap between the ribs is 30mm, there is no need for some space for glue.

Of couse with the 30mm gap it will never be fit for the whole element, so, the last gap I have to improvise with additional foam plates in 1, 3, 5mm... so having a last rib, even if its distance is only 23mm or 34mm from the rib before would be great to have.

I also could imagine, with simple elements like C1, to leave out some ribs and just place a 3mm plate of foam instead. this should be enough and it saves cutting time/material.

There's a problem if all the sections are different lengths.

I didn't have to worry about that with the other straight elements but now it becomes an issue.
The Slicer script divides the length of the object so with that I can't expect to get 30mm.
If even one of them divided up that way it would be just lucky.

I'll have to manually do what the Slicer does with
Booleans and each will have a different gap at one end.

Fly in the gumbo.jpg

Here's preview of the smaller foot setup.
Is this good?

C1a new feet.jpg

With "Different gap at one end." you mean just the last gap of each element? That would be no problem, it would be more proplem when every gap differs from element to element...

With the feet I mean something like this, of course the ribs still have to stand vertical:

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-13 um 14.59.47.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-13 um 14.59.47.png
    382.2 KB · Views: 95
Correct, the last gap for each section will be different, but all other gaps would be the same.
It may be a slower process without the Slicer... unless. :unsure:

Here's the new shoes.

C1a new feet02.jpg

Back