Beginners guide to Cheetah3D

I was thinking of this more as a way for Andrew to make more money ;-)

The alternative is to create a free service (a video podcast, say) and just accept that it won't make money. That would be simpler, technically, have no income stream, and hurt Andrew's business even more.

I think Blip.tv has more resolution because no-one uses it. If it had a billion users, they'd soon switch to a lower-bandwidth video resolution.

Last edited:
Hi PP,
I think your idea is a sound one and checking on the forum to see what users really want is excellent. I'm trying really hard to make time for this, so it's not falling on 'deaf ears'. I've done some research into the feasibility and I'm testing a couple of alternatives but don't want to mess it up because I can't devote myself to it properly. Also, I need new content which also takes time to produce properly. Anyway, stick with me I'm on the case.

Andrew :)

The free podcast idea is analogous to a quick tip of the day with the advantage of having a distribution and notification system -- RSS feed and iTunes. Folks could also download tutorials to their iPods and then watch them while working on their computer (versus switching between a web browser or player program and C3D or wasting screen real estate to see both at once).

If you go back to the whole "we want a better manual" thread -- frankly, I think the computer manual is mostly obsolete as a concept. Most apps aren't shipping with physical manuals any more, and the books in stores are obsolete (most of the Flash books in Barnes & Noble, for example, are one or two versions behind).

Video tutorials are quicker and easier to use and probably quicker and easier to create. For graphics programs you're dealing with visually oriented people to begin with. The only downside is bandwidth (which can get costly for the host -- but then if it becomes a problem, you should be able to monetize with advertising or something).

Attachments

• FlopTV.png
    FlopTV.png
    17 KB · Views: 423
Heh... so blip.tv provides either (a) much better resolution than youtube or (b) randomly pulls your video. For a startup competing against a bunch of 900lb gorillas, pulling inoffensive videos for no good reason is incredibly dumb.

If you're going to try to produce good resources for people, especially if you try to make money from them, it behooves you to host the content yourself ;-)

Sorry, that was my fault. I removed the file from blip.tv to see how blip.tv features worked, then I got sidetracked and I forgot to put it back online.

I can put the file back if you like.

I was looking for fused's site as the link in the signature doesn't work.

I think that this is it:
http://www.mac3dsoftware.com/index.php

Perhaps you could change it in your sig, fused? Or is this a temporary domain? If it isn't, Martin you should maybe also change it on the "LINKS" page of the Cheetah3D site.

Anyways, great stuff!

cheers,
macitect

I was looking for fused's site as the link in the signature doesn't work.

I think that this is it:
http://www.mac3dsoftware.com/index.php

Perhaps you could change it in your sig, fused? Or is this a temporary domain? If it isn't, Martin you should maybe also change it on the "LINKS" page of the Cheetah3D site.

Anyways, great stuff!

cheers,
macitect

Dear god my domain host is doing my head in. I'll have it back up and running in the next hour: http://www.antialias.me.uk
Daves website works fine: http://www.mac3dsoftware.com/index.php

Yep - working. Looks really nice too!

After Feb 5 I'll pick up disc 1 (I'm away tomorrow till then). Excited to continue my foray into "less uptight 3D" with Cheetah3D!

Yep - working. Looks really nice too!

After Feb 5 I'll pick up disc 1 (I'm away tomorrow till then). Excited to continue my foray into "less uptight 3D" with Cheetah3D!

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself and that my site is back up on its feet. Thanks for considering my discs, but remember you get both of them together for the price. :)

Andrew

I just found Cheetah 3D and downloaded the demo. I *definitely* need tutorials, so I went to your site to order the DVD and found that it takes 6 weeks to get the DVD to the US. Is there a way to have them delivered online? I would just like to get started, I am not looking to do fancy stuff. This will be the first 3D package I have downloaded that I might be able to stack 2 cubes together (although I haven't found out how group them into one object yet). How abot the first couple???

Thanks,
- Gardner

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself and that my site is back up on its feet. Thanks for considering my discs, but remember you get both of them together for the price. :)

Andrew

Back