Beginners guide to Cheetah3D

I have recently received the Cheetah training DVD's made by Andrew. Unfortunately they seem to be unreadable on my Mac (G4 dual 800 with superdrive). Andrew has been trying to help me figure out why this might be but I thought I would post here to see if anyone might know the reason. The disks will play just fine on my Toshiba laptop!?! They also will not play on my DVD player hooked to my TV. On my Mac the CD drive just spins and spins but the disk icon never appears anywhere.

I'm glad I can use the disks on my laptop but anyone have an idea why they won't work on my Mac? I live in the US by the way, though I don't know why that would make a difference.

Maybe it's a region setting? You can set the region within DVD Player.
I couldn't think of anything else right know. Good luck!!

Regards,

Peter

Hi.
That´s indeed strange, because there´s no region setting on the DVD (set to "0" is region free).

They also will not play on my DVD player hooked to my TV.
Of course not: it´s not a video DVD, it just containes videos. The "DVD" folder content can be played by the VLC media player (video lan client at http://www.videolan.org/ )
If it´s running on your PC you can try to copy the Quicktime movies included in the "QT_Mov" folder (BTW which QT version are you running?) to a new CD and get it to your Mac.

With kindest regards
Frank

Cheetah newbie question about DVD...

I see that the DVD is based on version 3.6. Would it still be applicable to me a newbie to Cheetah since the version I am first using is version 4.0?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,
All the basic elements are there, yeh the interface has been update since version 3.6 and there's all the character animation stuff but if you want a good foundation to build from as a beginner then the DVD will help a lot.

Andrew

Hi Tim,
All the basic elements are there, yeh the interface has been update since version 3.6 and there's all the character animation stuff but if you want a good foundation to build from as a beginner then the DVD will help a lot.

Andrew
I need a good start/foundation with cheetah. Thanks for recommendation.

Tutorial DVD

Hi

I just a quick post as i'am like many users that just read posts but never really post anything. Anyway i would just like to say the training DVD's are very very good. The sound and picture are really top quality. As i'am a Cheetah3D noob they really are just the ticket for me. Anyone new to Cheetah3D i would suggest getting these training DVD's as they really are worth all of the money spent. I would not hesitate to buy future training DVD's.

Thankyou.

DJS.

Thank you

Wow DJS, thank you very much and welcome to the forum. I hope you're enjoying C3D and I look forward to seeing any work you produce.

Andrew

P.S. That's really made my day, wow.

Cheetah?

Hello all

Im new with Cheetah and I havnt got a clue what 2 do :) does anybody have a idea how I can learn Cheetah as soon as possible?;)
Or any good advices for any books or downloadable scripts or so?

Sorry for my english Im from Switzerland :)

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. As for learning Cheetah3D, I would work through the tutorials in the Cheetah3D help files then have a go yourself. If you get stuck, ask the forum is very good and filled with very helpful people.

Have fun.

Andrew

Review of CHEETAH3D FOR BEGINNERS DVD

I have been very happy with Andrew's DVD, I have a review written on
http://marchvideo.com/Heyworth/

-Ed-

DVD 1 outline:
1. Introduction to the user interface.
2. Polygon modeling tools.
3. Using the co-ordinate system.
4. Tutorial 1: Modeling inorganic objects using polygons.
5. Tutorial 2: Modeling organic objects.
6. Tutorial 3: Modeling a cartoon character.

DVD 2 outline:
1. Procedural materials.
2. Custom materials.
3. Camera objects.
4. Light objects.
5. Render manager.
6. Tutorial 1: Adding materials to tutorial 1 DVD 1.
7. Tutorial 2: Glass materials using the UV tag.
8. Tutorial 3: Adding materials using the UV editor.

Title: DVD Vol. 1- Cheetah3D: For Beginners
Format: PAL DVD
Media: 2 DVD's
Duration: 3hrs. 30mins.
Aspect: 4:3
Region: 0
Sound: Mpeg
Language: English
Subtitles: None

Andrew:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks

Thanks for the review Ed. I purchased the DVD's and as time permits have been going through them. My main focus at the moment is to learn how to import models from SketchUp for rendering in Cheetah. I am slowly getting the hang of it. The tutorials are very informative and well worth the cost.

Regards,
Tim

I have been very happy with Andrew's DVD, I have a review written on
http://marchvideo.com/Heyworth/

-Ed-

DVD 1 outline:
1. Introduction to the user interface.
2. Polygon modeling tools.
3. Using the co-ordinate system.
4. Tutorial 1: Modeling inorganic objects using polygons.
5. Tutorial 2: Modeling organic objects.
6. Tutorial 3: Modeling a cartoon character.

DVD 2 outline:
1. Procedural materials.
2. Custom materials.
3. Camera objects.
4. Light objects.
5. Render manager.
6. Tutorial 1: Adding materials to tutorial 1 DVD 1.
7. Tutorial 2: Glass materials using the UV tag.
8. Tutorial 3: Adding materials using the UV editor.

Title: DVD Vol. 1- Cheetah3D: For Beginners
Format: PAL DVD
Media: 2 DVD's
Duration: 3hrs. 30mins.
Aspect: 4:3
Region: 0
Sound: Mpeg
Language: English
Subtitles: None

Andrew:)
[/QUOTE]

My main focus at the moment is to learn how to import models from SketchUp for rendering in Cheetah.

Tim,
Try the .FBX export from SU. It's working well and the settings are limited. If you have any problem, please post and you will get some help.

Google KMZ is XML in a ZIP file

I found out a google SketchUp KMZ file is really a PKZIP file
and can be unzipped from a shell like this

~/Desktop>unzip sketchup.kmz
Archive: sketchup.kmz
replace doc.kml? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: A
inflating: doc.kml
inflating: models/sketchup.dae

The .dae file is XML code looks like

grep float models/sketchup.dae
<float>20.000000</float>
<float>0.100000</float>
<float>0.000000</float>
<float_array id="mesh1-geometry-position-array" count="12">-114.528685 1700.887258 0.000000 -1150.778685 887.637258 0.000000 -1256.278685 1700.887258 0.000000 -9.028685 887.637258 0.000000 </float_array>
<param name="X" type="float"/>
<param name="Y" type="float"/>
<param name="Z" type="float"/>
<float_array id="mesh1-geometry-normal-array" count="3">-0.000000 -0.000000 -1.000000 </float_array>

So all you JavaScripters out there, who's up for the challenge to
parse the XML and import it into Cheetah3D?

Where are they..? Where am I?!

Hi Andrew

I'm a Cheetah3D (4.0) newbie and have just ordered your DVD (2 disc set?) from your website <antialias.me.uk/store>.

After that, I visited the C3D online forum for the first time and saw references to your online tutorials so I revisited your website but failed to find them!:frown:

Could you please give me a link to where they might be found? (Other members have obviously found them so I must be missing something!!!)

Thanx

groundling

Hi Andrew

I'm a Cheetah3D (4.0) newbie and have just ordered your DVD (2 disc set?) from your website <antialias.me.uk/store>.

After that, I visited the C3D online forum for the first time and saw references to your online tutorials so I revisited your website but failed to find them!:frown:

Could you please give me a link to where they might be found? (Other members have obviously found them so I must be missing something!!!)

Thanx

groundling
Hi groundling,
It seems like forever but I'm in the process of sort the antialias.me site out. Until then, there are some tutorials here: http://www.mac3dsoftware.com/

Andrew

Cheetah3D: For Beginners -- Out of reach, out of time.

Hi Andrew,

With great interest I attempted to purchase a copy of your title, "Cheetah3D: For Beginners". Unfortunately, as one of your colonial cousins across the pond, the time necessary for shipping to The States would be six weeks. I hope you agree, that waiting six weeks for a 3+ hour video hardly seems practical. Isn't there any other way to benefit from your outstanding tutorials?

Documentation for Cheetah 3D is very cryptic, and I am unable to develop any practical skill in the application. Any help would be most welcome and appreciated.

-John :confused: :redface:

How interested would people be in a subscription / membership -based video tutorial site? The basic idea would be to make stuff like Andrew's videos available online -- no waiting ;-) -- 24/7 as either in-browser Flash video or downloadable tutorials. (Obviously, piracy would be a danger, but it's not like you can't rip DVDs...)

Assuming something like this got a decent level of support, it would probably be a far better distribution mechanism than DVD. There are sites out there that offer this for more established 3d players (and there's even instructor-led training out there for serious money).

Something like a cooking site (which would have enormously broad appeal, if it were done well) could support itself via advertising, but a more specialized product needs a different financial model.

Anyway ... just a random thought.

Video Tutorials

Hi Podperson,
I guess it would depend on the subscription cost. I for one would definitely interested in some form of quick start tutorials to get me accustomed to the Cheetah interface. I have used Rhinoceros 3D on a PC but I would much prefer to learn a Macintosh native app that doesn't cost the earth.

I wonder if using Blip.tv to ask quick questions could be possible in conjunction with the forum? I saw this http://blip.tv/file/476876/on Blip.tv today and was impressed with the quality compared to the lousy resolution on youtube. And before you ask, the answer is no, it's not me asking the UV Map question on Blip.tv.:smile: I would be very happy to be at his level.

Back