Extrude hexagon

Extrude hexagon

What's the easiest way to make a hexagon such as a hexagonal bolt head? I tried using a soccer ball polyhedron, selecting one of the hexagons, performing inner extrude, and using split, but that left the open end, so when I used it in a subtractive boolean, it didn't work. I used a modeler a long time ago that let you specify the number of sides for simple geometric shapes, but I can't find anything like that in C3D. Do I have to import a 2D drawing? Thanks.

What's the easiest way to make a hexagon such as a hexagonal bolt head? I tried using a soccer ball polyhedron, selecting one of the hexagons, performing inner extrude, and using split, but that left the open end, so when I used it in a subtractive boolean, it didn't work. I used a modeler a long time ago that let you specify the number of sides for simple geometric shapes, but I can't find anything like that in C3D. Do I have to import a 2D drawing? Thanks.

Use the Disc Polygon Object, choose 6 sides, then use the
Shell Modifier to make it whatever thickness you need.

Option #2:
* hexagonal cylinder
* apply bevel and tweak as required

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 10.50.09.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 10.50.09.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 508
For the thread bit of the bolt...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.32.02.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-30 at 11.32.02.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 498
Thanks to all! Also, back to the sliced soccer ball polyhedron I mentioned, how might I fill the hexagonal container created by the open (sliced) end? Can that be done?

I have no idea what you mean by "sliced soccer ball". Are you talking about something like this? Fill hole will close the opening - no question.

Can we have a picture? Thanks.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• SlicedSoccerball.png
    SlicedSoccerball.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 484
Forget the extra part: close the hole - select the hexagon - call extrude - click and drag for the length - done. :p

Cheers
Frank

Thanks.

The reason I thought of filling it in is that I figure that's why it's not giving me desired results when I try to subtract it from another polygon using Objects>Creator >Boolean, but that may be because it doesn't fit the criteria (which I'm still trying to learn). Apparently, neither does the Disc method, because I can't subtract that either. How can I subtract a hexagon to a given depth from another object?

I´m confused - I still don´t get the whole picture.
You can split a hexagon from polyhedra, you can copy&paste it internal/external, you can disconnect it etc.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• HexagonExtrusion.png
    HexagonExtrusion.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 291
Forget the extra part: close the hole - select the hexagon - call extrude - click and drag for the length - done. :p

Thanks. Are those steps required to close the hole, or is closing the hole just the first step? Either way, I haven't been able to get an object that can be used as the subtrahend in the Boolean. I want a hexagonal shaped object that I can drag around on a flatter objects surface to create a hexagonal shaped recess that's easily moved. Here's that with a cylinder.

sliding_indention.jpg

Mmmh. You can select those edges building the hole - call the cover tool and move the edge loop from the surface - hole is still open.
I´m so desperate not being able to give what you expect. :frown:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Covered edges.png
    Covered edges.png
    12 KB · Views: 286
...call the cover tool and move the edge loop from the surface - hole is still open...

I'm repeating that to myself. I'll read about the cover tool and get back to you. I made this tablet mount using a drawer divider, some Sugru, and downloaded as well as self-designed pieces on my cheap 3D printer. The hex bolt head needs a fixed recess to keep it from spinning. (there's a wing nut on the back).

tablet_mount.jpg

All I know is that it can be done in Cheetah3d - but what am I looking at? Seriously. Are you good at some technically drawing?
What I understand so far is that you need some hexagonal recess for the nut to stay in place while fastening with a wing nut from the back.
What I don´t get is the problem you have with it. You can start with a hexagonal shape and go from there.
Maybe you get an idea from this thread: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7492
(I am finished with my Latin) :redface:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Shotz.png
    Shotz.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Mmmh. You can select those edges building the hole - call the cover tool and move the edge loop from the surface - hole is still open.
OK, this worked. I think my difficulty may have been partly the result of an unnoticed but large difference in scale between the two objects in the Boolean. Apparently, I'm rather reluctant to do the math. :smile:

I'm also going to revisit the suggestions in the thread by ZooHead and Helmut. Thanks again.

I agree with Frank, skip the Booleans.

Booleans in v6 makes triangular geometry, which doesn't
smooth properly with the Subdivision Modifier.

We want all quads in curved regions, triangles
on flat regions are not usually a problem.

If you need more on this just ask.

Attachments

• HexDepressed.gif
    HexDepressed.gif
    291.1 KB · Views: 302
Thanks, I haven't been quite sure how to reply to Frank's question about why Boolean, so I decided to work some more first. Anyway, yes, I was simply going for Boolean because it's a concept that I grasped from previously used cad apps, none of which I've ever mastered. I need more time to digest the information you've all provided because I'm really at a very early learning stage with C3D (in case you didn't realize :smile:).

I guess what you're doing is moving the edges you create from a base object that lets you define the edges numerically, then applying them to the target object for extrusion (or possibly in my case, "intrusion"). Or am I wrong?

The problem I have with some tutorials is that they seem to start a level above where I am, and I'm reluctant to go for the commercial ones because we're presumably so close to C3D 7, which will be a free upgrade for me because I recently purchased the 6.0 upgrade from 5 (which, honestly, I never really tried to use). Thanks again.

Back