Extrude hexagon

That's excellent! Thanks. I was hoping to put the hole through the radial plane of a cylinder, though. Can the sections needed for a round or hexagonal hole be created perpendicular to that plane? Or does the hole have to be made through an object the plane of which has sections that are square by default, then other methods applied to give that polygon an oval or round shape?

Also, I looked at http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8913&highlight=hexagonal+cylinder and discovered that I don't understand how the hexagonal extrusion in the first post was created, or how Helmut created his earlier on the first page of this thread. I can't even figure out how to make one using the steps in the 3rd post in the thread above (http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8913&highlight=hexagonal+cylinder). Thanks again.

polygonobject.jpg

Also, I looked at http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8913&highlight=hexagonal+cylinder and discovered that I don't understand how the hexagonal extrusion in the first post was created, or how Helmut created his earlier on the first page of this thread. I can't even figure out how to make one using the steps in the 3rd post in the thread above (http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8913&highlight=hexagonal+cylinder).

I will say in my defense that I have difficulty with the fact that it's possible to obscure some of the display of properties in certain view modes of the interface. Now that I see the longitudinal sections property, a hexagonal version of a cylinder practically explains itself, of course.

However, my question about creating a hole through the radial plane of a cylinder still applies. Thanks.

I will say in my defense that I have difficulty with the fact that it's possible to obscure some of the display of properties in certain view modes of the interface. Now that I see the longitudinal sections property, a hexagonal version of a cylinder practically explains itself, of course.

However, my question about creating a hole through the radial plane of a cylinder still applies. Thanks.

No problem, there are a lot of settings to get used to, so don't let it get you stressed.

If you can explain or illustrate what you need a little better, I'm sure I can help.
You want a hex cylinder with a round hole, or a round cylinder with a hex hole?
No problem if you know how, but sheer frustration if you don't.
It's amazing how many different ways there are to
do things when you become familiar with the tools.

What is your understanding of Subdivision Modeling?
It was new to me when I started using Cheetah.

PS:v7 Beta is available now! :)

You want a hex cylinder with a round hole, or a round cylinder with a hex hole?
I want a fairly flat elliptical cylinder with three round holes, the middle one being at the center of a hexagonal recess in the center of the elliptical cylinder (image included below).
bracket-with-holes-and-recess.jpg
smal_bracket.jpg

What is your understanding of Subdivision Modeling?
None.

PS:v7 Beta is available now!

Unless the beta has a way to solve this particular puzzle, then I'm thinking I should stave off trying it, at least for a while. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here´s simple set-up with discs for building the surface.
Once you have specified corners and size and placement - make editable and merge (formerly: "Import children") the parts to one object. Now start deleting the small parts surrounding polys and delete - bridge the gaps.
Add a subdivision-modifer. Select the inner hexagonal shape and extrude backwards. You now have to define some strategic edge/loops&rings for creasing so the hexagon won´t smooth due the subdiv-modifier.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• HexagonalRecessOnOvalShape.jas.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 332
  • HexagonalRecessOnOvalShape.png
    HexagonalRecessOnOvalShape.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 270

Based on Frank's method, since I don't have measurements, it's all done by eye.

If you need a step by step, that can be done if you ask nicely.;)

Attachments

• ZHDbracket.jpg
    ZHDbracket.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 265

Thanks very much, ZooHead! Yes, please give me a step by step, by all means. Thanks again.

Nice job 'ZOO'...!
Can't wait to see the procedure as well.
:icon_thumbup:

Ok first I need some measurements, I might as well do it right.

Great! Length of oval is 8 CM. Width is 3.5 CM. Height is 3.5 MM. Parallel sides of hex recess separated by 1.5 CM. Hex recess and center hole are at center of oval. but radial orientation of recess is arbitrary. Depth of recess is 1.6 MM. Center of two edge holes are 1 CM from edges, centered between width at those points. Would you rather have the info sketched on the orange and black photo? Thanks again.

Nice job 'ZOO'...!
Can't wait to see the procedure as well.
:icon_thumbup:

Thanks Al, this is a good project to learn from.
It'll take a little while for me to get this done.

I'm going to gear this one for beginners so it will be longer and more thorough.

With the new Booleans it´s a no-brainer:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TabletHold.jas.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 225
  • TabletHold.jpeg
    TabletHold.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 251
What makes you think of this? When this worx then why this shouldn´t?

Cheers
Frank

The v6 Booleans vs v7.

I hope it does work but it doesn't weld point to point,
it makes lots of n-gons and subdividing is a nightmare.

This is a perfect time to test it though don't you think?
I wish I had a 3D printer to test it myself.

Back