Magnifying Glass Challenge

No problem. I learned something here, too. Mine was not precisely convex, but the illusion isn't too far off.

Folks,

I'm going to be judging this one in two days, so feel free to tweak or submit new material. Good luck!

OK, so I finally reached a decision on this one. It was hard to judge, as every entry looked so good in its own way. I love the handle work that Uncle and Terry did, I like the lens work that Andreu did the best. It all goes into the overall worth of the render. Other elements in the scenes, no matter how cool they were, were not allowed to come into play for the final decision. The primary thing I was looking for was how the lens refracted light, caustics, and magnified what was underneath.

In the end, though, we had to have only one winner. Congratulations Andreu for a job very well done! I will be posting your render on www.cgvertx.com, with credit to you.

Sounds good. I'll add it to the list. I like to keep these pretty simple, so that they aren't too far out of reach for those of us who are less experienced. My hope is that we learn something from each contest, to promote how effective and easy Cheetah is, and to show off the talent that each person has.

Thought I'd revive this one. Not the greatest model but here it is anyway...

Attachments

• magnify.jpg
    magnify.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
I have to disagree Dave, it may be simple but the model is great imho

why the glass is so dark? if it's not intentional you may try to raise MaxRaysDepth a bit...

cheers,
Alessandro

Looks great!
I know this contest is about getting the glass right more than anything, but I'm curious as to how you did the texture on the handle.

Erin

Anyone know what's happened to Robert? Last activity is December 2010 and cgvertex.com has been suspended.
Well, I hope it's nothing serious, my guess is that it has to do with this last post of his:
I recently picked up Maya and started learning it pretty quickly. However, it's version 2011 vs anything someone else would start with, so that may be why. It is a bit more of a learning curve than Cheetah, but I can model in it a lot faster...

I've put quite an effort into Blender a number of times, but find it aggravating and cumbersome...

I can say that Cheetah's learning curve is, generally, much faster. However, I enjoy modeling in Maya more...

I'm curious as to how you did the texture on the handle.

Hi Erin,

I actually went with a particle mesh for the handle. I knew I could get what I wanted using a particle mesh pretty quickly whereas with a texture it would have probably taken a bit of messing around. Render time suffered a bit but it's not too bad

Attachments

• particle-mesh.png
    particle-mesh.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 546
Hi Erin,

I actually went with a particle mesh for the handle. I knew I could get what I wanted using a particle mesh pretty quickly whereas with a texture it would have probably taken a bit of messing around. Render time suffered a bit but it's not too bad

Clever! :D :icon_thumbup:

-- GS

Back