How to make a simple building

How to make a simple building

Is there a tutorial anywhere that shows how to make a building. With a few windows and doors. Or even a simple way to make a skyscraper?

dan

There should be several general tutorials on modelling buildings out there on the net. There should be no need for a C3D-specific one.;)

I'm new to this 3D stuff. I do mostly video production... but wanted to dabble in 3D and maybe use some of this stuff in my videos, if I can make something cool, that is.
So what is the deal, I can look at a tutorial of any 3D program and basically use it in Cheetah??

I would say that UV mapping a cube is a good start. modelling is half of it, but getting the textures on and how you want them takes a bit of learning too.

To do your building, play with the extrude and inner extrude functions, you select the tool then click to perform the function. Then make sure you pull the faces along only one axis to keep it square.
HTH
AC

So what is the deal, I can look at a tutorial of any 3D program and basically use it in Cheetah??

Kind of.

C3D's UI is pretty easy to learn ... once you've figured it out, any 3d tutorial that focuses more on the modeling than the UI will work in C3D. (Often, all you need to do is look at the pictures...)

The fundamental skills in C3D are polygon modeling (learning how to extrude/cover faces, cut up faces, etc.) and then understanding how to use the different creator/modifier widgets (e.g. symmetry, subdivision, lathe, etc.)

If you're new to 3d there's also a lot of new concepts to understand (consider how long it took you to come to grips with bezier curves or Photoshop's color tools ... if you have).

The second reply was a short tutorial for raising an easy skyscraper in 2 min, because that was the briefing. As I noticed that reply 3 started to discuss in general instead of sharing tips I removed it. Maybe when the debate has finished one will need it again:confused: I going to replace it, or I start over mailing my tutorials&tipps directly to the questioner.:rolleyes:

With kindest regards
Frank

Hmmmm... the reply you deleted seemed to be most useful to me.
Wish it was still there...
I was away on vacation for a while and just got back... so now I'm starting to play with the program. Still working on the tutorial discs, which are very helpful. Though, I'm excited about making some buildings.

dan

Ok back to work again..

Hi.
You can start with a box: x=1, y=0.5, z=1. Sections x=13, y=1, z=13. Make editable. Select all top and bottom polygons and delete them. Fill the top (ceiling) hole with "fill hole".In front view make 2 ringcuts. One for where the window opening starts and one where it ends horizontally. In front view again and select tool (uncheck "visible" for selecting the polygons from the opposite) pick every second polygon where an opening for a window should be by doubleclicking and again in left or right view for the other sides. Hit backspace for deleting these polygons. Select every polygon and use the shell tool to give the wall it´s thickness.
Throw in the array modifier, set the direction to "Y" and increase the items till it becomes a nice skyscraper. Put in an additional box, add some nice glass texture and pull it to a size to fit all the frames at once.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• 2minSkyscraper.jpg
    2minSkyscraper.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,100
Not to discourage you or anything, but, for architectural work, you should really check out Google Sketchup. It can export models out as 3DS or FBX so you can bring them into Cheetah for rendering and is a way faster and more intuitive modeler, IMHO.

Cheetah, of course, is a fantastic piece of software and I use it a bunch, but Sketchup is my only modeler for architectural work. And it is free, so that is hard to beat.

Not to discourage you or anything, but,..... And it is free, so that is hard to beat.

Sorry, but the free GoogleSketchUp won´t allow you to export to 3ds or anything Cheetah3d will read.
The example is a very simple one and believe me even this poor sketch is done faster in Cheetah3d than SU - but that´s just me.

Frank
Edit. Find a Ruby script called "obj_export_1.1.rb" and one can get his mesh out of the free GoogleSketchUp Version 6, April 2008

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, I had forgotten that the free version would not export 3d models. The Pro version, of course, will export in all sorts of formats. Though Martin generally recommends FBX, I have had better luck with 3DS, YMMV.

I have a hard time believing that even that very simple model is faster to model in Cheetah :smile: And I KNOW it would take ME longer in Cheetah, But I would call myself an expert in Sketchup and a rank beginner at Cheetah modeling. Keep in mind that Frank is a complete badass in Cheetah. ;)

Cheers, Chuck

Anyone interested in ...

raising a small house project like this one?
8 min video tut about 3MB file, I might find space for it, but YouTube is no fun at all for its compression to swf.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• SpeedHouseRaising.jpg
    SpeedHouseRaising.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,141
Too bad there is no audio explaining what is going on. This seems like a real good video and with patience I'm sure it will help me a lot.
Beginners question: There is the spot where you click on both ends of the box to make the roof before pulling it up. What exactly are you doing there to click those dots so that the roof line appears in the middle of the box?
(Hope my question makes sense... it's at the beginning of the video)

thanks
dan

Beginners question: There is the spot where you click on both ends of the box to make the roof before pulling it up. What exactly are you doing there to click those dots so that the roof line appears in the middle of the box?

Hi Dan.
At time index 00:00:31 I use the "scalpel too"l and tweak the one point by "point sliding". Take a look at the tool tab.

Frank

Back