Video Tutorial: How To Make A Simple Building.

Video Tutorial: How To Make A Simple Building.

Hi.
This is a quick rough track on building a simple house in Cheetah3d.
I assigned hot keys for the "views" and the "cover tool" I frequently used here. There´s no sound so you have to pay attention to the changing menus and tool properties. Whenever you recognized a "normal move" I covered the selected polygons first. I set up the transform tool in "tweak mode", that´s the reason why the mesh were highlighted by hoovering with the mouse.
If there any questions don´t hesitate and ask.

With kindest regards
Frank

The video can be found here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/download/Tutorial_HouseRaising.mov
I add the original jas file with an additional extra window at no extra cost.

Thanks Martin for hosting the files!

Attachments

• SpeedHouseRaising.jpg
    SpeedHouseRaising.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 13,725
  • HouseRaising.jas.zip
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,555
Last edited:
No offence Frank, but although the subject is really good, you obviously know what you are doing too well, and because the Quicktime movie displays really small on this monitor, I found this otherwise interesting looking tutorial rather unhelpful. It would have probably benefited from a voice over imho, as it is really hard to keep up with your mouse actions.

I'd love to find out how you make this without straining my eyes so much!

Apologies for being so blunt (and for being old!). :smile:

House in Unity!

I did the tutorial and I thought I'd quickly UV map the house for a test in Unity. Here is the result.

Django

Edit: I used whatever texture I could find and didn't bother making the texture size a power of two.

Attachments

• houseuv.jpg
    houseuv.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 5,707
  • Unity screen.jpg
    Unity screen.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 5,628
Here is the result.

Interesting. I was under the impression that all texture mapping had to be done in Unity, after the model had been exported?

So it is okay to texture an object in C3D before importing as an asset in Unity?

Interesting. I was under the impression that all texture mapping had to be done in Unity, after the model had been exported?

So it is okay to texture an object in C3D before importing as an asset in Unity?

Glad you found that spammer and got rid of it!

Anyway, to answer your question, that's exactly how it should be done: UVmap in CD3 and then import the asset into Unity.

The reason behind this is that Unity reads the coordinates of the UV map so it can understand how to apply the texture to the object. The coordinates of how your texture is applied to the object are stored in the .jas file.

If you put a texture over an asset in Unity without UVmapping it first in CD3, Unity will have no idea how you want to apply your texture on the object so the result might not be what you wanted. This is why it needs to be UVmapped in a 3D modelling software first before importing in Unity or any other engine.

Hope that was helpful.

Django

a question

Thanks for making the video, can you help me? I get stuck on the step where you create the roof. I can select the top two polygons that make the roof. If I use the 'Normal move' tool it doesnt create new polygons at the side of the roof instead it stretches it from the Ring cut. I must be missing something but Im not sure what it is.

Thanks

Hi,
great tuturial, very nice final object.
I have been trying to follow the video, and I have found that it dosnt quite work form.

In the video "Normals Move" is used to "extrude" surfaces, and it works very well, however, it dosnt work in the same way for myself, when I try a similar operation, it dosnt quite work... (see attachment)

The (polygon) selection seems to select extra points. Curious as to where i am going wrong.

G

Attachments

• NormalMove.jpg
    NormalMove.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
Hi.
Not quite sure where you stuck. Can you specify the time?
I don´t use "extrude", I use "cover" instead. If you want to use "extrude" have an eye on "angle".
When I use "select" "visible" is checked. If not you will be select polygons "through" the mesh at the back side.

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Back