Cheetah3D 8.0 Public Beta (with native Apple Silicon and Metal support)

Hi Martin
in render Manager of 7x I can zoom with mouse in V8x I can´t
Is that a feature or a small Bug ?

best
Andre

Hello Martin, you are right, I apologize. I was certain that zooming was possible in Cheeta3d as well. However, I just started version 7x again and checked, but zooming is not available there either. I probably picked up that idea from Blender somehow ;-)

Regards, Andre

You can copy the render to the clipboard from the Renderer Window and open it from the clipboard in Preview, where it usually appears full size -- I have previously written an Apple QuickAction (Service) that did this via a hotkey - it's posted in the forums somewhere. I can dig that up if you'd like.

Hi Martin,
Version 8 works well enough for me.
This version brings interesting functionalities.
Rendering is a little faster and seeing the HDR image in the camera view is really a plus.
When can we expect a commercial version?

I finally got around to upgrading my Mac. I have a Mac Studio M2 Max on order. I hope to have it within 2 weeks. Then I can upgrade a lot of my software, including Cheetah 3D. I'm looking forward to the faster renders and being able to enter values into Cheetah's fields without the cursor losing it's focus. Just bought a 32" 4K Dell Ultrasharp monitor to go with it. The real-time HDRI lighting sounds great!

There is a problem with exporting .fbx under macOS 14.1.1 Sonoma using C3D 8.0b6
The materials disappear. I'm not talking about the node system or the image textures.
Rather meshes themselves no longer have any material assigned.

Can anyone confirm?
@Martin What are chances this can be fixed soon?

Thanks in advance
-- Shift Studio.

Hello,

Running Sonoma 14.1.1 and C3D 8.0b6 on a 2019 intel MBP.

If I understand correctly what you were trying to do, this is what I did to recreate the situation…

I created a parametric cylinder and made it editable.

I rearranged the UVs so top and bottom and sides didn't all occupy the same space.

I created three simple PBR materials with just a base color specified.

Working with the cylinder…

I selected the top, applied the "top" material.

I selected the bottom, applied the "bottom" material.

I selected the sides, applied the "sides" material.

I exported the model as a .fbx into a folder.

I opened a new document and imported the .fbx file from that folder.

— The model with the partial-mesh assigned material were as they should be. —

Let me know if I misunderstand what you were trying to accomplish and how.

Cheers,
gsb

Hello,

Running Sonoma 14.1.1 and C3D 8.0b6 on a 2019 intel MBP.

If I understand correctly what you were trying to do, this is what I did to recreate the situation…

I created a parametric cylinder and made it editable.

I rearranged the UVs so top and bottom and sides didn't all occupy the same space.

I created three simple PBR materials with just a base color specified.

Working with the cylinder…

I selected the top, applied the "top" material.

I selected the bottom, applied the "bottom" material.

I selected the sides, applied the "sides" material.

I exported the model as a .fbx into a folder.

I opened a new document and imported the .fbx file from that folder.

— The model with the partial-mesh assigned material were as they should be. —

Let me know if I misunderstand what you were trying to accomplish and how.

Cheers,
gsb
Thanks GSB - yes you understand correctly.
I just did the same from scratch as you described, and it also worked as expected.:confused:

Now, I've exported this same mesh before and it worked correctly. Today it will not...
I guess something else is going wrong.

I'll report back with my findings.
Thanks again, Shift Studio.

Reactions: gsb
False alarm!

I had this checkmark un-checked
material checkmark.png

duh :rolleyes:

Thank you for a great beta! It just works on my M1 MacBook Pro 32GB as butter. Haven't found anything that seems to not work for me inc lots of older scripts.

The only thing is that the Fullscreen function cannot be set by regular keyboard shortcut. Don't know why. I use Keyboard Maestro extensively and used to let it do the fullscreen shortcut on every boot (from my Stream Deck + AppShortcut). Worked fine on 7.x. Not a big deal of course so super happy with the beta.

I finally got around to upgrading my Mac. I have a Mac Studio M2 Max on order. I hope to have it within 2 weeks. Then I can upgrade a lot of my software, including Cheetah 3D. I'm looking forward to the faster renders and being able to enter values into Cheetah's fields without the cursor losing it's focus. Just bought a 32" 4K Dell Ultrasharp monitor to go with it. The real-time HDRI lighting sounds great!
Hello Chris,

After you posted this back in September, I’ve been looking forward to finding out how you are liking your new box. I noted your comment on the usdz import/export thread and it seems you are enjoying the C3D 8 beta features.

Congratulations on your new Mac!

I have a question about your comment “being able to enter values into Cheetah’s fields…” Were your expectations fulfilled?

Thanks and cheers,
gsb

Hello Chris,

After you posted this back in September, I’ve been looking forward to finding out how you are liking your new box. I noted your comment on the usdz import/export thread and it seems you are enjoying the C3D 8 beta features.

Congratulations on your new Mac!

I have a question about your comment “being able to enter values into Cheetah’s fields…” Were your expectations fulfilled?

Thanks and cheers,
gsb
Hi gsb

Thanks for asking. I did install version 8, but I think there was an issue with my license, so I deleted it.

While I have a valid Version 7 license, this must have been a result of buying a late version of Version 6 and getting the upgrade to version 7 (or something similar - I can't remember). Anyway, I could not run Version 8 and went back to version 7 for now. Is usdz implemented in Version 8?

I have had no issues entering values into the Cheetah's fields on the Mac Studio, so from that perspective I am happy and more productive.

I have however noticed a new issue and that is when I launch a render job, I can't work in other apps or minimise the Cheetah 3D without the render job pausing. It would be nice if Cheetah 3D continued to render in the background so I can continue with other tasks.

I´m not able to recreate the render pause issue. Cheetah3D renders not matter how many jobs I started - it´ll render in the background.
Is usdz implemented in Version 8?
Nope.
Regarding your license ask Martin what happened to it.

Hi,
I've released Cheetah3D 8.0 Beta 7 today. It address a problem which was introduced by macOS Ventura. It slows down rendering performance by 50% once the Cheetah3D gets hidden or once the Mac turns the display off ( reported at: https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/14350/ ). So long rendering jobs over night took twice as long. :( If you have a bigger rendering job this update is probably well worth the download.

https://www.cheetah3d.com/download/Beta/Cheetah3D8.0b7.dmg

The other changes are listed below.
-fixed drag&drop bug in material browser
-fixed drag&drop bug 3D view
-fixed material delete bug
-fixed crashing bug in timeline
-fixed performance bug in timeline
-fixed performance bug when entering system sleep while rendering
-various performance optimisations in subdivision surfaces algorithm

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Martin

Back