Transparency on 3D View

Hello, how can I make these planes completely transparent in 3D view?
It's not going to be rendered, rather going to be exported as FBX in Unity.
I turned on "Use alpha channel" but still can't get them to be transparent.

The source image file is a transparent PNG file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙏🏽

Screen Shot 2023-10-22 at 3.11.44 AM.png

Here's a test on Cheetah 8.0b5, used a TIFF with alpha.
Looks like it isn't transparent to the Grid, but it is to other objects. 🤔

Screen Shot 2023-10-22 at 9.58.27 AM.png

Could be my machine. Putting everything at same z-position gives the known z-depth issue:
Z-depthChasing.gif

Transparency is the last drawn feature, so only the last in the list should work if I recall it right.

Yes - Martin respectively the company that developed this forum software runs an update yesterday. Could be stats will be updated later. Member status seems gone right now but not on old threads methinks.

:unsure: As far as I know, this is possible, but I can not whip up an instant method how to achieve that.

* Having had the identical problem in a recent project, I expended some time experimenting. Unfortunately, I made no notes and can´t supply a procedure for a solution.

* From memory:
* some tweaking of the image is required pre-processing; probably Remove BG in PreView but I may have used a different application for this
* a slight offset between the panels holding the images may be useful
* in the node manager, link the val for BG black to transparency

* The result / attachement shows three figures of a painting by Velazquez, "Las Meninas, all of which are separate images on 3 planes. Whilst the panels (the court dwarf,Mari Bimbola, the painter, DV, and the Infanta, MT) overlap , they do not obstruct visibility in the 3D view panel of the C3D editor.

* Of course, in my project the rendering / animation was relevant. No idea about an .fbx export.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 18.00.31.png

Bottom on the list out front.
I don't think it's necessarily like that. My sword is at the bottom of the stack but when I move it around, you'll see the shield and head stack correctly, but moving the sword clips weirdly between them... also the legs are clipped from the body here (if you compare from my initial post).

Last edited:
Here's the project files if you guys would like to check it out.
I'm running it on a 2019 Intel Mac, with Cheetah ver 8.0b6

Attachments

• Knight.zip
    39.6 KB · Views: 72
Bottom on the list out front.
I take it back. You sir, are absolutely correct! 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
My shield was on the same Z position as the sword.
Adjusting that and properly stacking the legs yields some good results now.

Only issue remains is the grid/background clipping.
It's just visually annoying but I think it could be workable.

I would love to keep using Cheetah 3D instead of getting Spine Pro ($329💰) separately.

Back