UV Painting Project and Hellboy build

Added a screw for the hammer.
Boolean subtraction used to make a hole slightly larger than the screw.

Hammer Screw.jpg

Sorry, i didn't know the word "stunt gun", so I said "film prop that wasn't intended to be seen from a short distance". And with the thing made of one piece I meant how "the real thing" (if there were one) would be crafted (on the other hand, I don't know that much about guns). By the way, it's sometimes really amazing how realistic some of this rubber stuff looks, be it such a gun or an armor of a Roman Soldier.

In this case you should finish not just for finishing's sake but for your original intent: Exercising creating comlex UVs for such a thing, especially with seems which allow you to have full control over the process (you got away too easily with the cylinder). It can be hard, especially if you want some scratches over edges that would otherwise be the best solution for a cut. With software where you paint on the model, this is easy, you could even use an atlas map, but when you paint in 2d it's sometimes a real challenge to have a flattened out uv-map with as few distortions as possible.

(I have to admit, I simply cheat sometimes, using different uv-maps for the same mesh, where the parts that are fully flattened out can be distorted as hell in the other or with maps that contain only a small detail of a mesh (like flattened out edges)).

In this case, since my original intent is UV painting, I'm more likely to finish. ;)

And have been wondering how to go about it.

I really do like the Idea of direct painting on a 3D object though.
But is there something that does that and is not a whole 3D package
like 3D coat, which looks really good but too expensive and extensive.

I really do like the Idea of direct painting on a 3D object though.
But is there something that does that and is not a whole 3D package
like 3D coat, which looks really good but too expensive and extensive.

Well, wasn't the idea of this exercise to do it the "hard way"? Can I let you so easily from the hook?

But, yes, there are such apps, probably a ton of it...

The most used is Substance Alchemist (formerly substance painter), that let's you create prb-materials ... and paint on a mesh. It comes at a price, though, and newly is subscription only.

The free alternative (with selling their scans of objects in mind) is Quixel Mixer. You don't need to buy their stuff and can paint on a mesh or create semi-complex materials (it's still far away from Substance, but to reach more or less that quality is allegedly their target). I have tried it out, but never painted on a mesh there (for me, it left something to be desired, not many procedural possibilities). But certainly worth to look at and I intend to use it in the near future for real in some projects.

The 3rd one you already have installed: Photoshop. Funny thing is, while I usually create 2d-maps with it, I never painted directly on a mesh there except for a test many, many years ago (more than 10, if I remember correctly). You can load a mesh with an uv map, alter the map, for example reduce it (which results in more distortion). I can't remember ever reading somewhere in a 3d forum that someone mentions the use of it, it's seldom even mentioned that it has that ability, but i genuinely don't know if that comes from a lack of features or if it's just not that much known (you can even render your objects there. Back when this was adopted (roughly 15 years ago) it had a rather good render engine, allegedly coming from Lightwave). Again, I intend to try that out with a better computer.

Funny thing is, I never really adopted the "paint-directly-on-meshes" technique, because I don't hand paint textures anyway. It very seldom looks photoreal (for that I'm simply not good enough). I only do all the marks of wear and tear like scratches, stains, texts, numbers, some small details etc. which are for me much easier to do in photoshop and illustrator, always combined with some (nowadays pbr-) photo and / or procedural textures. What I sometimes did, to make it easier, is painting on a mesh to mark what's what, just so I know where to create the intended things in PS. That you can do in Cheetah.

A few times I mesh-painted in Modo, before that in zbrush (but I never really liked the process there).

The most used is Substance Alchemist (formerly substance painter),
just an fyi, Alchemist and Painter are two separate applications. Alchemist is good for combining 'substances' and for 'bitmap to material' projects. And it is not very mature imo. Painter as you know is for painting directly on the mesh.
--shift studio.

Well, wasn't the idea of this exercise to do it the "hard way"? Can I let you so easily from the hook?
You're such a noodge. ;) Don't worry I will continue with the plan, and I realize how easy the
cylinder was so, I'm curious to see if I can figure out a suitable method for the Frame.

I'm not totally satisfied with the cylinder material anyway so I'm not done yet.

PS: Sad news, put my cat down today. Kidney failure hyperthyroidism.
RIP Mr Z.

@ZooHead

I offer also my condolences (which is worthless imho, it's only words. It can be as hard as losing a very good friend). I'm sorry for your loss.

What helps a tiny bit is distraction, work you like, something you can really lose yourself in concentrating. In the cylinder I saw some stretching, by the way, but it looked good, so I didn't say something.

You know it anyway, but what helps is a UV-checker texture too find out if you have any stretching. I have some textures for that I can't give you, but a quick search let me find this you can download: https://www.oxpal.com/uv-checker-texture.html, https://github.com/Arahnoid/UVChecker-map, https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/freestuff/?item_id=73026 and https://3dlab.bg/en/uv-map-checker/ (I added several links because I didn't download any for a test and so I'm sure there is something you'll like among them). With that used as a bitmap texture you can easily decide if you can live with that amount of (often unavoidable) stretching or if you have to find another way to do your uv map.

@ZooHead

I offer also my condolences (which is worthless imho, it's only words. It can be as hard as losing a very good friend). I'm sorry for your loss.

What helps a tiny bit is distraction, work you like, something you can really lose yourself in concentrating. In the cylinder I saw some stretching, by the way, but it looked good, so I didn't say something.

You know it anyway, but what helps is a UV-checker texture too find out if you have any stretching. I have some textures for that I can't give you, but a quick search let me find this you can download: https://www.oxpal.com/uv-checker-texture.html, https://github.com/Arahnoid/UVChecker-map, https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/freestuff/?item_id=73026 and https://3dlab.bg/en/uv-map-checker/ (I added several links because I didn't download any for a test and so I'm sure there is something you'll like among them). With that used as a bitmap texture you can easily decide if you can live with that amount of (often unavoidable) stretching or if you have to find another way to do your uv map.
Thanks, it's been just me and Mr. Z for 12 years, so it's rough.

It's true what you say, keeping busy will help.

Great suggestion on the checker texture, I will have to try it.
Thanks for the links.

I built some shells, made a better brass material.

The shell on the right is made from plans I got on the internet.
It looks cool but the extractor groove at the base reveals it's
designed for an automatic or semiautomatic firearm.

In the movie gun not only is the brass casing of the cartridge exposed, so is the shell itself!
This would mean the expanding gasses that push the shell down the barrel would be instantly lost.
So I redesigned that as well as putting the lock notch in a usable place.

HB Sells.jpg

Zoo, please keep in mind that a majority of people doesn't know what you're talking about here. I myself know a bit more about guns than I would care for (military is obligatory here around), but I'd be able to make the same blunder as the designer of the shell because I never thought about "extractor grooves", especially as they look somehow more interesting than the correct ones (at least I know enough about elementary physics not to expose the shell (which really isn't much)). And (I hope) a lot off people knows even less about handguns than me.

From a (very) simple understanding of mechanics it's sometimes clear what you mean (one can guess what a hammer is if one had never seen a revolver). But I don't see something I could identify as "lock notch" :unsure:, especially when you're talking about the ammo.

See, some of us are essentially clueless ;).

"lock notch" :unsure:.
I think in post 2 I called it a cylinder catch and illustrated it.
As I'm not an expert, and don't know all the proper terms, but it's the notch cut out of the
cylinder and the locking thingy in the frame that fits in that notch to lock the cylinder in position.

I went ski mountaineering in the alps with the Swiss army.
We weren't together, just in the same area, and we passed them thinking we were so tough.
And when we stopped to rest, they just kept going, and totally left us behind.

Most people in the US won't know what ski mountaineering is...but I bet you do.

Thanks, there it was clear. Here I thought you're talking about the munition.

Yes, I know what it is but never did it. What you saw back then, by the way, were just normal people, no professional soldiers, doing some service for 3 weeks every 2 to 3 years (after some basic training of 17 weeks in one piece, now 18 weeks) til they were in their forties (although they belonged to a special unit; there were only a few "Gebirgsjäger". My father was one of them), officially out of the army with 50 (so you usually were part of the Army for 30 years). Today you're out with 35 (normally. There are a exceptions for some non-comissioned officers and of course the (very, very) few professionals (mostly NCOs), some officers and so on). Every year there is an obligatory target practice where you have to reach certain points. Or you do it again. And again ... Back then, if they found you able bodied and you didn't like the military you just had another option: jail (3 months if I remember correctly). Then you had the opportunity to correct your errors next year. If you still said "no way", jail again, and so on ... (you could get out as "not able bodied". No other way, but back then they had a rather wide definition of "able bodied"). Now you can chose between military or 1 1/2 as much time civil service (like in hospitals or so).

And yes, it's true, as long as one belongs to the Army one has his personal arms at home, meaning an assault rifle or a pistol, along with (sealed) ammo (actually not much happens, though, very few blow their brains out, even fewer someone else's. Some bring home some souvenirs from their 3 week service, like actual ammo, some detonators, very seldom a hand grenade or so. Each year, though, a dozen or several die in training, mostly accidents with trucks driven by people who didn't sleep for 30 hours or more (you have seen the streets in our mountains), sometimes a mishap with a hand grenade or stuff like that (a friend of my father for example was part of an unit that found themselves in the target zone of machine gun practice, too far away to be seen, right in the midst of it). After you leave the army you get an older rifle for keeps (no serial fire, though, all changed to single shot). With those, all registered and non-registered (sometimes illegal) weapons there are probably 3 to 4 times as much guns in our country than people (at least. Nobody actually knows). Knowing this it's really astonishing how very few people get shot (one is already too many, and I belong to those who would like to see that changed (and stronger gun laws which already got better in the last 2 decades).

Just thought, that this is maybe interesting for you :)

Quite interesting. Thanks for giving a little insight into a part of Swiss life not less widely known.
I always like to expand my understanding of people and the life they lead.

I never served in the military. It's not required here, unless things go to hell, then we institute the "draft".

I was a volunteer with the High Incident Rescue Team for 15 years,
training and teaching high angle rescue and auto extrication.

Our team was mostly EMT's, EMTi's and Paramedics.
We taught EMT's and some swat team and military police units rappelling techniques.

The MP's we taught had a special request. For their graduation they
wanted to drop from the rafters of the National Guard armory on ropes
and "Take the commander prisoner" in the middle of the ceremony.

It went off without a hitch, a quick distraction, ropes drop
down and six of us surround the commanders group.
The armed personnel there where made aware so there where no mishaps.

Well, it's really just a little insight. After military service came something I don't really know how to translate; a service for "civilian protection" - again, obligatory. It was from 50 to 65 and of course for (most of) those who were not fit for military duty (those also had to pay a tax and still have, minus the days they serve in such an unit), all for the fight against a Russian invasion in the cold war (there never was a maneuver against Nato, but we were and are neutral). No weapons, some paramedic (on a very poor level by the way, still is), some disaster relief, stuff like that, and work in the bunkers (they were and probably still are obligatory, every Swiss has his place in a bunker which of course was laughable as they were thought for protection against nuclear weapons (and often were / are in the cellar of the houses, often just an afterthougt, but well, obligatory. In theory I know there is somewhere a place in case of a disaster like an exploding nuclear power plant, but I honestly not interested in where I'd have to go). After the cold war they didn't know what to do with all the people, so a lot managed to stay out of it - meanwhile it's only for those unfit for military service and ends with 40. But before that they had you by your balls for 45 years (if I remember correctly. Maybe it ended with sixty, so just 40 years. But still). Today they are especially thought for disaster relief, but are not really trained enough for this (only a few days, every few years. Honestly, if I ever get wounded in a catastrophic event and see one them coming, I'd crawl away till somebody comes along who actually could help; if I can't crawl anymore than even they are welcome).

About "draft", even about American laws and so on, most of the rest of the world knows thanks to movies, tv shows and books (some people here around allegedly believe that what they see on tv is also our law (like Miranda)). Somewhere in the nineties started a trend to celebrate halloween in Europe, sometimes even thanksgiving. Also St. Nikolaus changed his name and looks thanks to Coca Cola. We live in a very americanized culture. It has influenced our language big time (I'm not sure if "sorry" meanwhile is more common than the german word for slighter offenses). To be honest, it's not all for the good (but I'm thankful for Jazz, though, which, strange as it seems, is for a long time in a higher esteem than in the U.S.). Since 2020 a lot of us know probably more about the U.S.-electoral system than about our own laws (which are a bit strange anyway).

As somebody who thought such stuff on obviously professional level, what's your medicinal training beforehand? And was that fulltime or something you'd do beside your civilian job? it may seem strange that I ask, but here around a lot of such things are beside a normal job.

My father and my uncle bought an ambulance company when I was young.
I remember they drove a Cadillac ambulance like this:

mc-1973-superior-cadillac-ambulance-20141027.jpg

Years later family members would take summer jobs there driving wheelchair vans for the company.
I didn't work there until I returned home from working in the movie studios in California as a prop-maker.
I left because there was an actors strike then the directors strike and then the writers strike, and I didn't
work for two years, so I decided to go home and regroup. On my way home I heard my uncle had
passed away so I figured I would try to help my father with the ambulance company. He called my
older brother, who had a PHD in chemistry, and we joined forces to keep it going.

I had no training the first time I had a cardiac arrest, I just did what my partner told
me to do as he jumped on the stretcher and did chest compressions.

At that time no training was required but at least there where no more Cadillacs.
Our company did require advanced first aid training which was a joke in an ambulance.
Later when the rules changed, and emergency medical tech training was required, I became an EMT.

Working in the ambulance company I met some crazy dudes who where
starting a volunteer high angle rescue team, so I joined up... for 15 years.

Back