newer than than newbie?

Video capture tool

Hey Frank,

it's not a free tool but it's a great way to capture video from your screen. It's about 40 bucks.

It's called screenography:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24826

I use it all the time to capture director reels from flash websites. It doesn't record any sound which is unfortunate but gets the job done. You can also take screen shots of DVDs.

Wow! Thanks Frank

hopefully i can figure out how to make the axehead with that:D

did you use the thing that sills511 recommended to make that movie? The cheetah guys should pay you for making it. They should have a bunch of those in place of the tutorials. I can see it only took about 3 minutes for you to make that [maybe 3 days for me:roll:]. But it also becomes clearer how many small details are involved that the axe tutorial doesnt even mention

"The last operators were two times catmull-subdividing. These points were´nt catch by the capturing process."

ummm.... i dont know what that means?

Greg

Hi Mayday. The last two steps are after choosen the edges and set the crease; mouserightclick, menu opens, go down to catmullclark and choose it twice times for a smoothing mesh. That´s it.
Enjoy.
with kindest regards
Frank

The app was "screenrecord" I think. I´ve tried a lot of these stuff now.;-)

Hi Mayday,
have you finally solved your problems? I think Franks movie showed quite well how it works.

Concerning the tutorial. It is true that not every single click it explained. But I often link from within the tutorial to the documentation of the tools used. In the documentation of the tool you can then read the details how the tool works. So I don't have to rewrite down the functionality of the tools within the tutorial. The tutorial also stays cleaner.

By,
Martin

Thanks Martin for the Great info Bank

Hey Martin,

I just want to give you much praise for your help section. I think you've provided more than enough in those tutorials and help sections. This was my first render program and have found it quite a lot to take on. With the help of your advice, the forum , and the index of terms, I'm getting the hang of it.

Thanks,
Rob

still stuck, but not in so deep as b4

The problems im having now are that i cant make the extruder work properly. It only works for a tiny fraction and then i have to do another one. Thats why the top of the handle in broken into all those small segments. Since i couldnt extrude properly i used some other fuction [i cant remember which] to make the bottom of the handle. It may look solid but its really a big hole through the entire thing... top to bottom. I also cant get the "set creases" thing to work. In the tutorial it says "select the edge in edge mode, and then apply the command "SelectionSet crease"" But when i try the closest thing to that i can find is whats highlighted in pic i attached, and thats not right. Theres something else i couldnt do too but i forgot what that is now:rolleyes:

Greg

P.S. Yes Martin, Franks movie was really helpfull.. i couldnt have done what i did without it. That's why the cheetah people should give him money:) video tutorials are the best. As i said in an earlier post... I'm an absolute beginner at anything 3D or even any kind of graffic arts. I have clicked the links in the tutorials... but there still seems to be missing info. I'm still not sure how to make the key or graph show up in the bottom of the key editor for the hello world tutorial

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
>hi françis and sills511

thanks infos. I wll try to make something like tutorial.

>hi, mayday

i wll try another earth tutorial movie. i hope it will be help.

tg_jp

Hi Mayday.
That´s strange. Can you go to mainmenu-> selection-> set crease, please instead of mouserightclick?
If "Set crease" is not there, I think your version of Cheetah3d became corrupted - if this is possible?!

with kindest regards
Frank

Hi Frank.. Isn't that drop down menu thats showing in the screen cap the main menu? If its not i dont know where the main menu is. My mouse doesnt have right click... its a mac mouse

Hi tg.. i think i pretty much got hello world figured out except at the end in the animation. I dont know if the problem is that i dont have that small key showing up in the key editor or what.

Greg

Hi,
the blue crease edges are only visible if you unselect the edge. As long as the edge is selected the red selection color overdraws the blue crease color.

Which version of Cheetah3D or which version of the documentation are you using? Since the key and graph icons are no longer available in Cheetah3D 3.1 or 2.6. They have been replaced.

Concerning the extrude tool. You have to select the polygons you want to extrude. Chose the Extrude tool. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse to the right while the left mouse button is still pressed. When you are done release the left mouse button. That should work. Otherwise I would be really surprised.

by,
Martin

Hi Mayday.
You don´t know where the mainmenu is????
You won´t pull my leg, won´t you?;-/

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• MainMenu.jpg
    MainMenu.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 385
mayday said:
My mouse doesnt have right click... its a mac mouse

Greg,
On a mac with a single button mouse, the right click can be simulated/emulated by doing CRTL+click (pressing the CTRL key and clicking at the same time). This is a standard and well documented function.

I understand your frustration.

Hi Mayday

Your post brought back all the frustration I experienced the first time I opened Cheetah 3D and tried to do a tutorial. My 2D graphic background was of little assistance. As always, the main hurtle in learning any thing new is having the new terms and concepts sink in. Learning and understanding dozens of new 3D terms takes time. There are no shortcuts. They are new to everyone, even seasoned 2D artist. But know that Cheetah 3D is by far one of the easiest 3D programs to learn and use.

My approach was to put the Index page of the manual in the Dock and refer to it often. Also, spending the time to read old post in the forum helped me immensely. Taking apart all the Cheetah files I could down load filled in a lot of the gaps also. Of course Martin, Frank, and many others generously answered mine and other newbie questions in this forum.

Cheetah 3d is a very, very powerful program that will not disappoint you. At just $99.00 US it’s a steal. Just give it some time and before long we’ll all be oohing and aahing at your new creations.

Best regards,

had to take a break...

or that axe was gonna smash my imac. Howcome everytime i come on here to try and figure out what to say my temperature goes up a few degrees? Martin... Cheetah maybe [as irev says] very, very powerful and inexpensive for what it can do but its far from being easy to learn for someone with no experience at this stuff. I assume you created this program, so that would make you about 1000 times more skilled at computer stuff than me. So basically you should think of someone like me just a little bit ahead of where a monkey might be. I have no idea what you mean when you say "the blue crease edges are only visible if you unselect the edge. As long as the edge is selected the red selection color overdraws the blue crease color". That statement makes no sense to me. Don't you have to select where you want the creases? How can you do that while at the same time unselecting the edge? At any rate now that i know which menu is the main menu [thanks Frank] you can see from the screen cap that my main menu for some reason lacks the "set creases" option [i have 3.1]. By the way i remembered what the other thing i couldnt do was. The screen cap shows it also. Frank somehow got to that point after selecting all four end sections of the box then both ends magically got smaller. It took me about 3 hours to manipulate it using other means [yes irev.. frustration.. you at least have 2D experience.. i have no D experience] Truthfully even the things i could get to work in the tutorial didnt seem to flow like they should. Welding the ends seemed awkward. I did figure out how to extrude. The first portion seems to automatically stop after that small extrusion from my earlier screencap, then you have to keep the mouse clicked and move it a long way to get the longer extrusion to work

thanks for the earth tutorial movie tg. I'll try that later. Thanks again to everyone for the help before and for any future advice you may have but remember who you're dealing with:confused:

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Please don’t shoot the messenger.

The last version that had Set Crease in the Selection Menu on my Mac was version 2.6.1. Use Toggle Crease instead. (I know, I know) Soooo.….. your edges are selected and red, now go to the top main menu, click on the Selection menu --- then choose Toggle Crease. Next, mouse click on the work space (grey window) and the red edges should turn blue. If the edges don’t turn blue, undo (command z) the last step immediately, (i.e. Toggle Crease) and try the step again.

Once the edges are blue, go to the top main menu, click on Tools --- then choose Polygon --- then choose Catmull-Clark subdivide. (not Subdivide because it doesn’t exist) Do this twice. You should now be the proud recipient of a rugged Axe just like in the Ax tutorial.

One more thing to remember. 3D modeling is all about having fun. If one task is frustrating, find something else to experiment with. Try practicing with one tool until you understand it and then move on to another tool. Pretty soon your mind will start to put it all together and pure satisfaction will follow. Have fun.:)

Best regards,

Don´t shoot the messenger ------- and his stupid horse.

Hi mayday.
My fault - sorry for the trouble, I think I have to be quiet till I can run Cheetah3d3.x. Stupid fault. Excuse me, will you?
I´ll better step back to third row now.
With kindest regards
Frank

Hi Frank

First monkeys, then horses and now I’m the ass. Please know that I was only trying to let Mayday know that Set Crease no longer existed in the menu so he didn’t think he was going off the deep end. I was not trying to disparage your post. Please keep your center seat in the front row.:)

Best regards,

Frank is now watching..

Hi irev,
be cool;-) No way! But I could´nt be helpful anymore without using 3.x. (I do need a new mac, or secondhand or what comes first to run the tiger, ´cause I can´t do that to my ancient G3, that´s my dilemma: I got the licence allready, but can´t use it -sh.t)
So I take the seat you offer, enjoying the view and say thanx.

With kindest regards
Frank

Back