3D orbit of a 3D model...

Hey Destiny...

you need to use Acrobat reader to view a 3D pdf, don't know if a iPad/iPod/iPhone versions exist since I have no iOS devices (just an old 80Gb iPod). for sure Preview won't show it...

cheers,
Alessandro

yes I know Alessandro.... I have worked it all out.... I can now put 3D into a pdf but it will not work in an iPad.. real bummer... Now I can showcase my 3D in a Mac and Windows... I might even include a GLC_Player link for those who want take the next step up.....

Stupid iPads.... It would have been great to take an iPad to a meeting with a 3D model... not that I own an iPad... if someone gave me one I would use it at a door stop.. thats the only use I have for it... I have a door mat with Steve Robs face on it.. it gets a good rub now and then LOL....

I will now do a demo pdf and give you a link to it... probably won't take too long... in between bathing baby, marking school work, cooking dinner, washing up and and ironing a few shirts..oh good news. its Saturday tomorrow!!.. so baby can stay dirty, and stuff the ironing... :tongue: :icon_thumbup:

D...

Hey Destiny...

you need to use Acrobat reader to view a 3D pdf, don't know if a iPad/iPod/iPhone versions exist since I have no iOS devices (just an old 80Gb iPod). for sure Preview won't show it...

cheers,
Alessandro

Stupid iPads.... It would have been great to take an iPad to a meeting with a 3D model... not that I own an iPad... if someone gave me one I would use it at a door stop.. thats the only use I have for it...

Sorry but it looks like you need to do some home work and search in the iTunes iPad app store ! If you don't have an iPad, then you don't know what you are missing.

See Here and Here too

ya I know.... they are good for what they are designed for but no good for me... I will do as you say and check it out though.. I just played with one at the Apple store yesterday... emmmm... where's a green icon when you need one..

Anyway.. I worked out how to put a 3D model into a pdf.. here is my first ever test... Play with the lights.. the CAD light looks really nice..

http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/3DInteractive/3DTestID.pdf

Really cool.. took me a lot of brain power to work it all out.. so my brain is still numb... Anyone with Windows, can you see if it works your end ok.. and anyone with a Mac too.. those with iPad.. don't bother.. LOL.. hehe...

Destiny....

Sorry but it looks like you need to do some home work and search in the iTunes iPad app store ! If you don't have an iPad, then you don't know what you are missing.

See Here and Here too

works perfectly here (Acrobat pro 9 inside Safari... I'd test it under Win/ but my brand new SSD has died tonight - no wait, the technician just called to say it's fine while I was writing... it was a coma then LOL!)

Actually I have been uninstalling it and putting it back for the last half hour... I just worked out how to view pro.. silly me.. so that means anyone viewing my models has to have the pro version of Acrobat.. or the GLC_Player....or a Mac is not prob.. needs nothing.. just the dae file.. All I have to do now is work out how to view an interactive 3D model on an .... iPad... :(

Anyone with any...:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

works perfectly here (Acrobat pro 9 inside Safari... I'd test it under Win/ but my brand new SSD has died tonight - no wait, the technician just called to say it's fine while I was writing... it was a coma then LOL!)

I think Acrobat reader (not pro) should work as well (cannot test it here on the Mac because I have the pro installed). will try it in Win7 and Reader 10 as soon as my little one (SSD) comes back this afternoon (CET)

Nop.. I don't think it does.. for some reason my normal Acrobat opens as default, not pro.. and my model will not show...

Destiny..
PS.. Windows might be different....

I think Acrobat reader (not pro) should work as well (cannot test it here on the Mac because I have the pro installed). will try it in Win7 and Reader 10 as soon as my little one (SSD) comes back this afternoon (CET)

Well it looks like a 3D models will work on a normal pdf in Windows ok.. but the normal version you cannot see the Cross Section Tool which is a bit of a pain since if I scan very old pottery they will probably want to do that but they will just have to upgrade.. so I am not that concerned...

Anyway.. who started this pdf thing.. well done to you!!... great idea.. It took me all day to work it out.. but I got there in the end...

My only concern now is iPad... I need to find out how to do it....

D..

Right mouse button to Full Screen mode.. oh man.. just wow... wow wow.... just what I wanted... I just need to play with texture renders now.. Different apps tend to read them differently..

Destiny....

My only concern now is iPad... I need to find out how to do it...

The JavaScript example I posted earlier (which you seem to have failed to comprehend) works just fine on an iPad (except that I didn't code for touch events so you can't manually rotate the models).

The PDF option will not work on an iPad or iPhone today, tomorrow, or any time in the foreseeable future.

Consider me INFORMED... and I will try to comprehend things more in the future... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually I thought I understood it quite well. NO TEXTURE so it looks crap.. and can only be viewed from certain angles..

I am sure my clients will sooo excited about checking my crappy looking models out... NOT!

On the Plus side... the pdf works fabulously with glowing perfect texturing and can be viewed from any angle and only takes a matter of a few minutes to create them...

oh and ..Alessandro, you are such a Marvel...!!! Your pdf suggestion was spot on...!! Thank you so much.. :icon_thumbup: :wink: ;-) :-D :-D

I will look forward to trying out JavaScript for iPads... WebGL might be an option for iPad down the track too.... ;) I hear iPad 3 might be the way to go... I will wait and see...

D...

The JavaScript example I posted earlier (which you seem to have failed to comprehend) works just fine on an iPad (except that I didn't code for touch events so you can't manually rotate the models).

The PDF option will not work on an iPad or iPhone today, tomorrow, or any time in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I stared off looking at Photos-to-3D models.. I tried the demo on 3dsom but it kept crashing.. he said it must be my graphics card on my laptop.. I then found Strata so I bought the Mac version to test out.. its terrible.. don’t bother.. Their demo model provided looks good but when I ran their own images back into it… it failed terribly.. large areas of flat and with no contours… Too much stuffing about… you might find it easier than me to use…

http://www.3dsom.com/

http://www.strata.com/products/strata_3d_cx_suite/strata_foto_3d_cx/

There is a third one I found but I lost the link.. I think that this technology is well worth keeping an eye one but not for me at this time.. I think it might be good to use as a quick model creator and then refine it in Cheetah perhaps.. but there again.. you guru modellers will probably be able to knock out a model in very quick time.. but it might be a good way to capture a texture for a model, or at least provide a launch pad to refine one…. I think I will stick with the laser idea for now…

D

The ability to view a cross-sections for me is a real bonus.. I can imagine a 20,000 year old bone or jug or vase etc where it is possible to see the cross-sections of it... really amazing.... love it...

I think thanks to you guys, I might be ready to put my presentation together...

Destiny

Attachments

• cross-sections.jpg
    cross-sections.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Consider me INFORMED... and I will try to comprehend things more in the future... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Actually I thought I understood it quite well. NO TEXTURE so it looks crap.. and can only be viewed from certain angles..

Viewable from all angles, just not on iPad or iPhone because I didn't implement touch controls. I'm not your tech support guy.

No texture because I didn't implement it and, again, I'm not your tech support guy.

I am sure my clients will sooo excited about checking my crappy looking models out... NOT!

On the Plus side... the pdf works fabulously with glowing perfect texturing and can be viewed from any angle and only takes a matter of a few minutes to create them...

oh and ..Alessandro, you are such a Marvel...!!! Your pdf suggestion was spot on...!! Thank you so much.. :icon_thumbup: :wink: ;-) :-D :-D

I will look forward to trying out JavaScript for iPads... WebGL might be an option for iPad down the track too.... ;) I hear iPad 3 might be the way to go... I will wait and see...

WebGL might indeed be an option down the track. It will require ... wait for it ... JavaScript. Your options on the iPad are (a) write an app from scratch, or (b) write something in JavaScript.

As an added benefit, JavaScript will work everywhere else too, in browsers, without plugins.

Keep working on those comprehension skills.

...I think it might be good to use as a quick model creator and then refine it in Cheetah perhaps...

forget about it... ;)

(the meshes they create are such a mess of tris you'll be better -and quicker- starting from scratch the right way... imho)

cheers,
Alessandro

Back