OS X Icons Tutorial

OS X Icons Tutorial

The documentation help file has a reference to a non-existing HTML file for how to use Cheetah to do OS X icons.

I'd love to find that file if it's available somewhere

Anyone know?

Thanks

The documentation help file has a reference to a non-existing HTML file for how to use Cheetah to do OS X icons.
I'd love to find that file if it's available somewhere
Hi.
As far as I can tell this is is somehow outdated due the fact the icns-file format is no longer available as an image export format caused by some changes Apple made.
What kind of help do you expect from what the title said or what questions do you have about this topic?

Cheers
Frank

Thanks for the reply Frank.

I am interested in using Cheetah to render 2D-looking art assets

Things like icons, buttons, borders, ....etc.

Any advice / stratrgies on how to do these would be great

Camera setups?

Light setups?

Materials?

Thanks again

Well - I would say have a play.
First I attached the obsolete html page from a older version of Cheetah3d.
As already said: exporting a render to "icns" won´t work anymore - the rest is pretty straight forward.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Making Mac OS X icons.webarchive.zip
    103.2 KB · Views: 550
Render Without the Backdrop?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have some related questions. I'm trying to create an OS X icon with some shiny glass and metal - not unlike the Safari icon or that gorgeous Pages icon. My question is, how would one go about rendering something like that? I mean, take the Pages icon. You must have a background of some sort (typically a ground plane or backdrop) in order for the object itself to render properly. Is there a way to have the object render as though the background were there but not have the background actually show up in the render? How does Apple do it? (Maybe those Apple icons are not 3D models but 2D art by very talented artists?) Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

-Steve

You must have a background of some sort (typically a ground plane or backdrop) in order for the object itself to render properly.
Simple as is. HDRI check off background. Add plane with ShadowMat to catch the shadow if you need it. Camera background color to 0%. That´s it.
(Maybe those Apple icons are not 3D models but 2D art by very talented artists?)
For sure. ;)

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• IconTiles.jpg
    IconTiles.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 926
  • TinyTinte.png
    TinyTinte.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 925
Shweeeet!

But I still have some questions...

• How did you get the glass to have "thickness"? The only way I found was to convert to a mesh and do a "shell," but you are using only spline objects.
  • It appears you used a spline for the colored liquid (tint) effect. Is that spline just sitting "inside" the glass?
-Steve

• How did you get the glass to have "thickness"? The only way I found was to convert to a mesh and do a "shell," but you are using only spline objects.
  • It appears you used a spline for the colored liquid (tint) effect. Is that spline just sitting "inside" the glass?
Hi Steve.
Yes - spline fan here. Left it editable here.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• LiquidPlusGlass.png
    LiquidPlusGlass.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 950
Thanks, Frank! I actually just figured it out and was going to reply to myself. I'm creating my splines in Photoshop, as the spline editing still seems awkward in C3D 5.0 (although I guess I should download the latest 5.3). Anyway, the materials capabilities just might convince me to upgrade to version 5.

-Steve

Illustrator should be better than PS for this kind of things... and, if you ain't goy Il, Inkscape even better (since it's free :smile: )

cheers,
Alessandro

I must be missing something!

Simple as is. HDRI check off background. Add plane with ShadowMat to catch the shadow if you need it. Camera background color to 0%.

Ok, when I uncheck background in the HDRI tag, the object renders dark. Only when the background is enabled does it look like glass. What am I missing? Argh! FWIW, I'm using the old town HDR image in the examples folder.

Also, by "background color to 0%" I assume you mean opacity, right?

-Steve

Simple as is. HDRI check off background. Add plane with ShadowMat to catch the shadow if you need it. Camera background color to 0%. That´s it.

I guess I don't understand what you mean after all, Frank. I still have no clue how you "isolated" the rendered object. Care to share the C3D file itself?

-Steve

Any screenshot?
The HDRI tag has backgroud "on" as default. So check off means uncheck/turn off/kill it;)
And yes: set "camera background color opacity" to 0%

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
he HDRI tag has backgroud "on" as default. So check off means uncheck/turn off/kill it

When I do that, the object doesn't render properly. It's just dark with little or no illumination. I guess I'll download the latest version of C3D and give it a try before anything else.

-Steve

Shadowmat Question

The HDRI tag has backgroud "on" as default. So check off means uncheck/turn off/kill it
Ok, I think I'm actually getting somewhere! It helps to have the latest version of the software! (Version 5.0.2 simply doesn't work as you describe, but 5.3 does.)

However, I still have a nagging question... I found the Shadowmat material under "special", but how do you get the shadow to appear without the plane appearing in the render? Is this just a trial-and-error tweaking of the white point? Or am I missing something again?

Thanks,

-Steve

However, I still have a nagging question... I found the Shadowmat material under "special", but how do you get the shadow to appear without the plane appearing in the render? Is this just a trial-and-error tweaking of the white point? Or am I missing something again?
The plane has just to be as large as you expect the shadow would appear.
If you still see its boundaries decrease the amount of the "white point" slightly.
If you will get any shadow from your HDRI is another question. There has to be a strong light source in your HDRI - in the oldtown_pano_small.hdr is none - just to tell you.

Cheers
Frank

Back