He can get mediawiki from http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki
There's a great set of help available.. Basically all he needs is a
server that supports mysql and php and then to go through the install
document.

If he has any questions, feel free to pass my details out, I'll be happy
to go over."

I'm keen to help out with administering it but I'm no web programmer

AaronC

EDIT Got this error on replying to this post. The reply goes through though; I get this quite oftem

Attachments

• Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
at the moment I have no clue how to configure it.
Whatever came out of the box seems to be working so far.

Look: I've made a draft To Do List!

Somebody else feel free to edit it, please. I think we all need a crash course in wiki-ing.

I added my Blueprint tutorial, but there is no way to upload pictures and other files. The Mediawiki help says that there should be an upload link in the toolbox, but it`s not there. Anyone know how to fix this!
upload disabled.jpg
I found it under special pages, but it`s disabled, so Martin probably has to give permissions for us to be able to upload files!
I really don`t know why, but now it`s suddenly there in the toolbox!

Last edited:
I found it under special pages, but it`s disabled, so Martin probably has to give permissions for us to be able to upload files!
I really don`t know why, but now it`s suddenly there in the toolbox!

File uploads should work now.

Bye,
Martin

EDIT Got this error on replying to this post. The reply goes through though; I get this quite oftem

Hi,
I got that message by myself. Looks like my webhoster has some performance problems form time to time. Luckiliy this error messages disappears after a few days from alone.

Bye,
Martin

Well, creating a new wiki user account seems easy enough... maybe too easy! This might be the first thing to re-configure to deter spammers.

For example, the unifycomminity wiki requires both captcha and email verification before authorising an account.

There are some notes here.

There's also a page here, describing a 'ConfirmAccount' extension, which seems to allow all new users to be vetted by a system administrator (Bureaucrat).

Yes, you are absolutely right. I have to install that otherwise registering is way to easy and every spam bot can register. Thanks for the links.

Bye,
Martin

I would think we could just have a system where only users with certain privileges can edit the Wiki. You would have to apply to be able to edit, or something like that. With Wikidot, you can make your Wiki private, so you either have to enter a password to gain access to the site, or you have to apply.

That is what I want to do. But so far I found no user admistration center in mediawiki. The forum software is way more powerful in that area.

Bye,
Martin

That is what I want to do. But so far I found no user admistration center in mediawiki.

Martin, I got a reply from one of the unifycommunity webmasters (I've forwarded it to you), so you could try asking him about anti-spam, user rights and captcha/email verification...

As a result of trying to contribute to the Wiki, I've been going through the help a bit to find gaps, and there's two obvious things about the help that could easily be improved:

1) All chapters dealing with script objects should have their html title changed, e.g. "Material shader" and "Material: Base Object" both show up as "Material" in searches. This is highly likely to confuse people who need to look something up. I'd say that the scripting sections should be called "Scripting XXXX" to make it clear that this is an advanced topic.

2) The glossary is pretty good, but (a) desperately needs illustrations and (b) desperately needs to be linked as thoroughly as possible. (I don't know how well links work in the help system -- if you look up "diffuse" and get the glossary link, clicking on it takes you to the top of the page, and you then need to scroll down for "diffuse" without the aid of in-page search ... ARGH!) This would save on people complaining about the information in "Material shader", e.g.

Ambient - Diffuse: These parameters effect the influence of the ambient and diffuse light components. For normal non reflective and non transparent objects these values should be 1.0. But for glasses and metals these values should be zero.

ambient: Scales the ambient light component.
diffuse: Scales the diffuse light component.
This is almost zero information for someone who doesn't know what ambient and diffuse mean.

I don't want to create work for Martin ... OTOH if we (the community) improve this stuff it would be great if it could also help improve the help.

Last edited:
A WIKI for Cheetah V7

If your wish was already posted just answer to that thread and say that you would also like to see that feature. So I can easily measure the interest in a certain feature.

The Cheetah3D Wiki is on the Olympic podium with 52 replies ! 8 years and still no wiki … I am very sad :-/

there seems to be considerable interest in a Wiki. So I would host a wiki. Installing a Wiki is probably not very difficult. At least not more difficult than installing a forum.

Launching V7 would be a good time to launch the official Cheetah3D Wiki, with a modern online documentation, tons of tutorials, scripts, materials, demos, tips & tricks, collected from every where inside the forum ;-)

does there exist different wiki softwares?

I would definitively recommend Dokuwiki (www.dokuwiki.org)
Light albeit powerful, OpenSource, active since 2004, no database, only text files & folders (easier to administer).

Hi, installing a wiki is very easy. The problem is the configuration. Tons of parameters and no control center. Wow.:confused:

Dokuwiki offer direct access to a "Configuration page" self-explained very easy to setup without tons of parameters.
It also provide an easy to setup Access Control Lists (ACL) where you may define "groups" and "per pages" right access.

But it doesn't look very nice. I think the Wikipedia look is better.
You should definitely have a look at Dokuwiki (www.dokuwiki.org) ! It's clear as the default Apple Help tool.
Except that damned tool does not support ALT-TAB and is a usefulness modal window. :frown:
MediaWiki, the wikipedia engine, is a sledgehammer for Cheetah3D…

About SPAM :
Dokuwiki offer many antispam technics, build-in or plugin https://www.dokuwiki.org/antispam

I am not connected in any way with Dokuwiki. A sysop made me discover this tool many years ago and I found in love. I use it every day as a notepad on my local web server.
The syntax is easy to learn and if the contributors don't want to learn it they may use the built-in WYSIWYG text editor.

I would be glad to help in any way for that project.

[EDIT]
I updated my avatar for this purpose ;-)

[EDIT2]
I don't want to create work for Martin ... OTOH if we (the community) improve this stuff it would be great if it could also help improve the help.
I definitively agree with you !

Last edited:
The basic problem with the wiki was that Martin didn't have time to manage it and wasn't willing to create superusers who would, so it became infested with links to evil stuff.

There's really nothing to stop any of us creating one and opening it up to the community (you could even take everything from Help and use that as a starting point — with Martin's approval). Failing this, it's also occurred to me to turn my book into a Wiki (and give users the ability to comment, suggest changes, even make changes, and so on).

The basic problem with the wiki was that Martin didn't have time to manage it and wasn't willing to create superusers who would, so it became infested with links to evil stuff.

Oh, I was willing. I even asked in the forum if anybody would be interested in becoming a wiki moderator. The problem was that nobody was interested. That's quite a difference. :wink:

Bye
Martin

The problem was that nobody was interested.
Today, I will handle management and administration task...
I think that that a wiki may be more interesting and accessible for new comer.
I hope for Martin that the V7 will bring a new client wave.

My main concern is more about right & legal. I will use the other thread to get help and advice from the C3D community.

First off not sure what is wrong with a wiki with a Java backend ;) But I am biased :)

Perhaps one way to prevent spammers, is you can only sign up with you have a Cheetah 3D license. Sounds a bit harsh, but most of us, unless we are trailing Cheetah have paid for it. It provides another reason for buying.

Stack Overflow seems to have a network of different sites, I notice one for 3D printing and Blender.
My experience is that it is a Q&A forum, so might not be at all helpful.

Alternatives that spring to mind are confluence (probably very pricy), I also wonder if it needs to be a true Wiki, again it doesnt need to be open to the world just existing cheetah users, so perhaps GitHub and GitHub pages could be a good starting point.

Hi Encrypt,

I guess the last Martin's quote is the definitive answer for this decade old subject :
Originally Posted by Martin
The problem was that nobody was interested.

I setup an unofficial wiki on a temporary URL as a technical test for myself and I got the rights from the community to aggregate lot of great materials found out from this forum. BTW, thanks again to all of them.

There are few visit per day (google search ?). And no one registered to publish anything new. I closed registration long time ago ; no one complained ;)
The site will probably be closed someday.

This forum is the place to share our love for Cheetah & 3D...

Back