Cascadeur: Physics-Based 3d Character Animation (Open Beta)

They say they are planning on a mac version.

Very impressive.

When I look at this, it looks like it could take a while ... :(

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-01 um 12.37.15.png

Last edited:
Just because of my curiosity (it's good that I'm no cat): Swizl, do you also use blender next to your other apps?

About cascadeur. Saw it a few months ago and actually was impressed, looking at the videos, but my first thought was 'If it is as good, as it looks, who will buy it?'

Ever happened to you that you didn't quite finish a post and therefore didn't make sense in any way? (To my excuse, I had watched american news feeds which is somehow disturbing at the moment.)

While "Who will buy it?" was exactly what I thought, I of course didn't mean a license but the whole firm. With something like this they are for sure on the radar of Autodesk and others, something like this an ideal plugin. So I'm not sure a standalone mac version will ever reach the public.

:ROFLMAO: I see. I was already amazed and thought: "Well, maybe I if it's not too expensive." But the whole company probably exceeds my budget. Unfortunately. Because then there would definitely be a Mac version. And sure soon!
What is happening at the moment is more like that:

Request from a Cascadeur employee: "Could we get an additional list: - very, very long term - I have such a Mac thing here, you know ..."

No, just kidding. It looks like they are doing a very good job. But you could be right. Before the Mac version is released, someone has bought the firm.

I use a bunch of different 3d apps that have different functions. C3d, Blender, Modo, C4d, MeshLab, FreeCAD are the main ones. Most of the time I do model my scene in C3d and then bring it into another app to render. I would use Falcon, but there are a few missing features I want/need (mainly a Shadow Material with Alpha would be the most useful to me, but also SSS would be nice for frosted acrylic type materials).

I agree thought that this company would probably be in a better position to be bought out. Some of the comments on the YouTube page have people that have been trying it out begging that they don't sell themselves to Autodesk. I don't do much character animation, but still thought that those that do here might think it's interesting. Even if they can't use it on the Mac side. I also boot Linux and Windows, and I think there are a few here in this forum that do the same. It would be nice to have a Mac version for those that only boot Mac OS.

I asked about blender because I have to admit, I'm already challenged with the software I use, and that's only a fraction of yours, mainly Modo, Photoshop, Illustrator and (far too few) zbrush and at the moment not very much Cheetah on the graphic side (also a view not graphic related). And already with that it happens sometimes that I use a shortcut and wonder why it doesn't work (well, oh, that's from the other app). So cudos to you to keep on top of your game. :)

About Cascadeur: Yes, I hope they will not sell out to autodesk (but I somehow could live with the Foundry. In the future I certainly want to get into animation)

I asked about blender because I have to admit, I'm already challenged with the software I use, and that's only a fraction of yours, mainly Modo, Photoshop, Illustrator and (far too few) zbrush and at the moment not very much Cheetah on the graphic side (also a view not graphic related). And already with that it happens sometimes that I use a shortcut and wonder why it doesn't work (well, oh, that's from the other app). So cudos to you to keep on top of your game. :)

About Cascadeur: Yes, I hope they will not sell out to autodesk (but I somehow could live with the Foundry. In the future I certainly want to get into animation)

Oh yeah for sure I’m always hitting the wrong key combos is different apps. Most of the ones I use, I only do a few specific things with. So I’m certainly not a master of most of them. As far as 3D, I’m most comfortable in C3d. Modi is nice for it’s really fantastic built in IPR. I really wish C3d has something like that. I hated the Shader Tree at first, but simple materials are really quick and easy, I got C4d as we are planning on doing some motion graphics and it’s the most C3d like app. There are some things I don’t like about it though. The snapping in that app is goofy. I use FreeCad to convert 3D cad files (STEP & IGES usually) to a polygon friendly format. The McMaster-Carr website has a bunch of 3D hardware files (screws, bolts, nuts, etc.) that can be downloaded for free. Meshlab can handle point cloud data. I can use my iPhone as a depth scanner.

I live in Adobe apps most of the day too. I get coworkers asking me all the time how to do something in illustrator. I’ll share some crazier vector jobs I’ve worked on tomorrow. One is a college campus map I had to clean up, that I think originally came from an ArcGIS file.

All in all, I try to concentrate on a few apps, even if I know there is something around better suited for a certain job (it's also less expensive to use not that many apps).

I don't know the abbreviation "IPR" :unsure:. The shader tree on the other hand has something I really missed in Cheetah, the Layers, and the way it's built somehow fits my way of doing things (I know there are a lot of people simple hating it). So, for me, it's great to build complexer materials, with a (for me) simple way of combining different aspects of a material, especially as you can control one node with a layer (or more with the photoshop like blending options and masks), just clicking on or off different layers to concentrate on one thing at a time. And with the modeling, well, I often get into something like a trance, a smile on my face (the other day I just didn't get that a thunderstorm was raving. Usually I'd have stopped working and shot the computer down because of possible power outages).

With photoshop I have mixed feeling, an app that feels outdated in some aspects, the days long gone where it was best in class for every aspect of working with a bitmap (and with each version some stuff changed that in the end doesn't work quite as good as before). Anyway, most of the time I only do the same things over and over, so no problem there (all in all, I just don't really understand Adobe. They really should look out for Affinity). (And when I swear while working, my wife knows that I'm working with photoshop).

Illustrator on the other hand I like very much (even when I think that I used to get better results with vectorizing in earlier versions), mostly doing some routine stuff and that not even on a daily basis. There I feel I don't really touch the potential it has and want to use it more for textures, so I'd be interested very much in the work you've done with it (and often enough I could use somebody around I just could ask a short question instead of finding out for myself). (one of the worst things I ever had to do with it was to modernize an old logo that existed only on film in a rather poor quality, too, with thousends of dots all over the place, then creating a font with the used letters).

Yes, most of the apps I've bought, I got them on sale anyway. If I know something typically goes on sale a certain time of year, I'll wait for it. I got Modo 801 for $400 on the Foundry Marketplace and it came with a bunch of tutorial videos and a few kits. One was the Automatic Character Setup (ACS), but I have no idea how to use it. I rarely animate or pose characters for stuff I do. Usually a static character will suffice. I payed $400 for the maintenance on Modo, which timed just right to give me v11 and v12.

Sorry, IPR stands for Interactive Preview Window. That's how they usually acronym a 3d app that has a window that continuously updates the viewport with a render. You've seen it since you have Modo. It's what some other render engine plugins give some other 3d apps (Redshift, Cycles, Octane, etc.)

I'm an intermediate Photoshop user, but I'd consider myself and advanced Illustrator person.

Here are a few screenshots I told you I would attach. The map came from ArcGIS and had a bunch of unsmooth lines a lot like a CAD app would give. There were also some wonky things going on with the road transparencies. I know the images are lower resolution, but I had to reduce them to post them here.

The logo is probably one of the hardest ones I've ever had to clean up. There are shapes on top of shapes and strokes blocking different parts out. It was really a big puzzle to clean up. I've had to do that sort of thing too, a long time ago where I had to redraw letters or logos based off of bad reference images. If you ever have any Illustrator questions that have you stumped, I can try to help
.ArcGIS Map.jpgCleaned Map.jpgKeyline View.jpgColor Logo.jpgKeyline Logo.jpg

I didn't know the abbreviation, but the principle I know for a long time. Lightwave had it already more than 15 years ago, but it was slow, very slow. Today I use preview always for creating materials (the real selling point for me was of course modeling. And no problem, probably I should have known the abbreviation anyways :).

You know, in some ways I'm the capitalist's nightmare, almost never buying spontaneous something (except when I'm hungry, of course), but with everything 3d I'm often times tempted very much. Instead I really try to keep it simple and keep myself in check, and when I really need something I try to wait like you for a sale. This way I can get deeper into the software I use (and still don't reach the full potential of anything. Which is good :)).

You did really a good job with this examples. Looking at the originals, I feel with you, not really seeing the end-result in there (I myself almost always had some freedom with getting such things done, it just had "to look good" not "correct"). Like I said, good work, very clean.

Usually I find the answers to my questions very fast in the internet (it's more convenient to have are co-worker who can help, though), but for a really though one I'll come back to you for sure if that ever happens.

Nice!

Building stuff like that was always a challenge, but did you have to trap them too? (For non print-techies, "trapping" means manually determining which strokes needed to knock out of other shapes and which needed to overprint them - and by how much - so that the press operators didn't need to execute each impression perfectly. ) Back in the day, we stored four different sizes of logos, and alternate versions for screen printing and other printing methods. I loved the meticulous stuff, but eventually imagesetters got smart enough to handle that side of it automatically, so I sidled into photoshop for almost a decade.

I've been hoping to make a rendition of our long-retired, in-house design services logo into a Cheetah3D rendition of a stained glass window for a while, now:
KingCraft LOGO.jpg

(An illustrator file recreated in Affinity Design.)

Nice!

Building stuff like that was always a challenge, but did you have to trap them too? (For non print-techies, "trapping" means manually determining which strokes needed to knock out of other shapes and which needed to overprint them - and by how much - so that the press operators didn't need to execute each impression perfectly. ) Back in the day, we stored four different sizes of logos, and alternate versions for screen printing and other printing methods. I loved the meticulous stuff, but eventually imagesetters got smart enough to handle that side of it automatically, so I sidled into photoshop for almost a decade.

I've been hoping to make a rendition of our long-retired, in-house design services logo into a Cheetah3D rendition of a stained glass window for a while, now:
View attachment 36406
(An illustrator file recreated in Affinity Design.)
Nice design! Lots of color. That would be cool redone in C3d.

No thankfully I didn’t have to trap that one! The logo was mainly done in an intaglio style mask and spray vinyl application for the exterior signs and the interior signs were done on a flatbed printer. http://www.apcosigns.com/flipbook/cowleyCS/mobile/index.html

We subbed the map print to a specialty company that printed it onto aluminum sheets. If you scroll down this page, you can see the finished map. http://www.apcosigns.com/cmu.html

Cool. I so miss getting to play with all the different technologies involved in laying ink on whatever materials the customer could come up with. The tricksiest job I ever did was 4 process colors, 2 spot colors, and a spot varnish (which was used as thermography) - all on a business card. Three different zero-register press runs.

The funny part is that a lot of techniques I used to need for trapping can be used to work with SVG files imported into Cheetah3D. That tiny bit of aligned overlap can make a huge difference when pushing custom shapes together.

I'd be very interested in exploring Cascedeur, as it's right on target for what I want to do. Guess I'll have to man up and install Bootcamp and Windows. Ugghhh, yuck, and whine.

I know this is the wrong place to ask, but should any of you learn more about Cascedeur, hope you will share here.

Yea, didn't look like a Mac version was happening any time soon, but one can dream.

Cascadeur is by far the easiest 3d animation software, I was used to animate on blender, but Cascadeur is much better at it.
Cascadeur has lots of handy tools to assist you with making the motion physically accurate - center of mass, ballistic trajectory, angular momentum, etc. There are also a number of quality of life tools - ghosts, trajectories (aka motion trails), tween machine, trajectory edit mode, many more. So in that regard, working on body mechanics is great.

Back