Import OBJ then export FBX with Texture...??

Like I said, u3d was back with the next version (cc) and still is (along with the other pdf-format). So, as I suggested, download the trial (you have 7 days) and export that stuff.

(actually, I'm already asking myself, what will go wrong now?)

But I cannot down load any trials.. All links lead to the new versions. I have spent 3 hours on line with Adobe help.. As I said before, all links lead to Rome.. No link leads to their older visions. Adobe sent a link to CS5, but it crashes so they sent me a patch, but it still crashes.. If I could download the the CS5 trail, I could simply add my own serials.. None of the new versions have the U3D options..

I thought I hit the jackpot. I found a box of DVDs.. I have sooo much software. Microsoft Office, Lightwave, all the Macromedia software including Director. None of it any good. I even have CS2, CS3, CS4 and CS6. BUT NOT CD for CS 5. .. I have the serial but that's it!. Perhaps i updated by downloading it.. then lost or removed the download.. I really do not know..

Last edited:
Adobe Help showed me something really cool.. Older software might not install due to the installers in the OS changing. So to install, you can open the Package, find the Install, open the Terminal, then drag and drop it into the Terminal and press enter. It works..

The actual trial of the actual version of photoshop (21.2.2.). You can use it for 7 days only.

As I said before, u3d was back in photoshop cc (the next version after cs6. CS6 is the only photoshop version with 3d that cannot export this format. Real bad luck (as with a lot of things in a project that should be so simple).

Well, I am really sorry, I did not understand you before.. I thought you were suggesting downloading older versions.. I totally miss understand.. o_Oo_O

I downloaded the CC Photoshop.. Normally, in CS6, I can drop one image into the stage then drop the rest onto it and it automattialcy imported the sequence. But CC P I had to keep pressing enter.. There is probably a way to do it but I could not see it.. I will check it out more..

The good news is, yes, the U3D is there, which is really nice to know, since it would have been a very stupid thing to remove that feature totally. I guess Adobe listen to all the forum comments.. BUT.. Would you believe it only exports a single frame.. OH MAN!!.. And CC P does not export an Interactive PDF.. If it did, it should create a U3D from the animation.. Perhaps Adobe does not know this.. InDesign does create an Interactive PDF.. I wonder if the new InDesign can create an animation.. I will download and try.. InDesign is great software.. Its all vector.. Fantastic output.!!

The education version of Adobe CC for the first year is affordable.. However, after that the price doubles.. Thats just too much.. If I pay for the first year, none of the files I create will work in CS6.. Only the images JPGs or PNGs etc.. The Education pricing is still a heap cheaper than the full version but I only use it a few times a years normally.. I can do most things online when it comes to editing students graphics or images.. Its only when we get a bigger product like talking toons that we get a bit carried away.. I guess after all this effort in trying to use Photoshop to export a U3D animation, we have failed... I was really hoping it would export the entire animation.. I have animated U3Ds.. But those have been created using Similar Composer.

Well, I have really appreciated all your help Hasdrubal over these past few weeks.... You have given me some great ideas, and led me into checking out things I would not have thought to try.. It all started with me trying to import my talking toons into Simlab Composer.. I have given it a good go but I have failed.. Until SImlab Composer develops the option to import a sequence, I do not see any other options.. But as you have pointed out so many times, its an old method of doing things and probably not the best way to do it.. Saying that, I still think its the best method when creating very short 3D animations to add into a 3D Virtual Reality.. Most other methods of 3D animations, have an end results including movies/videos.. But I want a 3D interactive animation to be placed into a 3D VR.. Thats very different...

Actually, Photoshop CC does export an interactive PDF.. Its just not so obvious. Its in the 3D area.. But still only a single 3D layer can be exported..

If I could have gotten the 3D Animation Sequence to work, I could have animated springs, which are not possible in Similar Composer.. It will not scale from one end and when it does scale, it distorts the spring object.. Also, pistons with a rubber cover can be animated via sequence.. and any other flexible objects.. I guess in time, Simlab Composer will have more options. That software to us is awesome. Apparently, Flex is coming, or it is there but no tutorial on how to do it.. Perhaps that will fix a few of my animation ideas..

I tried to animate a spring in Cheetah too, but that to distorts the object. Not sure how to do it.. I have seen animated springs working fine.. I tried animate a spring in Photoshop, but again it distorts the spring. However, when I exported the FBX, the animation works..

Last edited:
Actually, Photoshop CC does export an interactive PDF.. Its just not so obvious. Its in the 3D area.. But still only a single 3D layer can be exported..

If I could have gotten the 3D Animation Sequence to work, I could have animated springs, which are not possible in Similar Composer.. It will not scale from one end and when it does scale, it distorts the spring object.. Also, pistons with a rubber cover can be animated via sequence.. and any other flexible objects.. I guess in time, Simlab Composer will have more options. That software to us is awesome. Apparently, Flex is coming, or it is there but no tutorial on how to do it.. Perhaps that will fix a few of my animation ideas..

I tried to animate a spring in Cheetah too, but that to distorts the object. Not sure how to do it.. I have seen animated springs working fine..

If you make the spring with a spline Helix and spline Circle with a Sweep Creator. Then you can compress and expand the helix without distorting the sweep shape. (You have to adjust the helix so it’s the same size on top and bottom, if its that type of spring.) I think someone one here might have posted something about this sort of thing before. I know there is also a C4d spring tutorial out there. Which is nearly the same to set up in C3d.

Hi.. I am experimenting now.. or trying to learn how..:unsure::unsure: I found this awesome video..
Perhaps merge Similar Composer software with Cheetah 3D.. :p

I think my mistake with animating a spring, is I made it in Rhino, since its really easy then I imported it into Cheetah. Perhaps Cheetah can only animate a spring that has been made inside Cheetah, but I do n to know how to make a spring.. The shape of the spring metal needs a circle attached to the helix then I sweep it. But.... Thats as far as I have gotten.. There is something about Cheetah that I have never quite got the hang of.. Either their is no logic or I am not logical.. LOL.. I can do so much with Rhino.. To me, most of that is logical... ;)

Here's one example of an animated spring.
When adjusting a Helix Spline it helps to view it from the top,
then you will find Cheetah's version of a Spirograph.
A Sweep needs two splines, one for the cross
sectional profile and the other for the path.
Add the profile first then the path spline.

Attachments

• Spring animate.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 199
That is really cool.. very springy looking in its animation.. I tried to export as an FBX, but the animation does not export.. Unless I did it wrong..

Very real animated spring.. Well done.. Love it..!.. I did not get up to making the spring.. LOL.. I just cannot get my head around the features of Cheetah.. I can make crazy shaped springs in Rhinoceros 3D so easy and so quickly.

Perhaps a spring animated is just like my Talking MM.. Perhaps the FBX just does not recognise any kind of morphing, including an animated spring..

Again, I feel that the only way to achieve small animation such as a spring, would be as a sequence.. But Cheetah does not export a sequence and Simlab Composer does not import a sequence.

As I have said a few times, the normal animation processes are fine IF the animation is for rendering to use to make a movie.. But I need 3D animations, perhaps in the FBX format, to add into a 3D VR.. But it seems that the FBX cannot save the animation, it can only save a frame..
Simlab Composer support stated that import a sequence would be easy, however the file size would be high.. But, not all animations would be..

Well, it seems that perhaps it should be possible... I compressed a spring in Poser and it exported the FBX animation, but the spring distorts during compression in Poser. When I exported the FBX, it asked if it was to be a single frame or multiple frames. Cheetah does not ask that.. So perhaps other software can export the animated FBX. I imported the spring into Simlab Composer and the animation works, the animation shows in the timeline.. Perhaps a future request for Cheetah to be able to export an animated FBX.. Put me down for import a sequence too LOL!!!

In Cheetah FBX Preferences, I can set the frame rate and tick to export the animation.. So why doesn't it do it..??

Actually, obj-sequences are never fine as long there is any other way to do it. And there are literally hundreds of example of animated springs, be it with morphs or deformers in different packages. Nobody uses sequences for that inside the app. Think of the poly count, think of RAM of which everyone has a limited account ... And so on. See, a lot of those people doing all those amazing tutorials on youtube etc. really know what they do because they make a living of their knowledge. In here there are some people like Zoohead, Swizl, Helmut and Shift studio and others who have a big knowledge of such stuff. They know what they're doing (I usually don't animate, so I'm no big help).

You're a teacher (or at least kind of), so think about yourself as the pupil in this case. Forget, what you "feel to be correct" or what you learned a long time ago. Listen to those who know, because in the world of 3d you're the struggling student.

So, do yourself a favor, think about what you want to achieve in general (like doing animation, texturing, whatever) and start out as if you didn't know anything of it. Go to the tutorial section, do a few of them (there are also some examples in the help, including files and so on). And do start from scratch.

Also I would recommend starting a new thread for a new problem (like how to create springs and how to animate them). This one gets a bit long and messy, so your questions could be overseen.

The fbx-format does save morphs. But this import-export business is all in all a bit messy because many apps don't do it 100 % correctly and we users don't always know what we do (for example I know that Modo can export correct fbx with morphs that actually other software can read but still I didn't get it in this example). From past experience I concluded that it's best to do as much as possible in the target app (i. e. if it can animate, do it there instead of the source app). Create the material in the target app and so on.

And try to explain what actually doesn't work. Doesn't Cheetah export anything at all? Does the exported file not work? Is there any error? And so on ...

In Cheetah FBX Preferences, I can set the frame rate and tick to export the animation.. So why doesn't it do it..??

Hello Destiny,
I don't know if you're still here, but I just wanted to say something about that.
The problem is that FBX saves morphs (the tag and the sliders) but NOT the morph animation.
I tried doing it via "record points" which works fine but it doesn't save it either. The way I see it, FBX only saves the basic animations - position, rotation and scale. That's why the spring doesn't work either, but animations with bones do work. When you want a character to speak, the face should be animated with bones. This is the case with MakeHuman characters. Couldn't you just use MakeHuman characters? It doesn't have to be the smiley, does it?
Here's an example. Unfortunately I had to delete the entire mesh because otherwise the file would be too big to upload. But of course it works with the mesh and you can see:
It's FBX, it's animated and it talks. :)

Attachments

• talk3.fbx.zip
    78.6 KB · Views: 195
Back