Import OBJ then export FBX with Texture...??

Actually, I am wrong.. My version of Cheetah does have the Binary option. I did knot know it was in Prefences. By default its set to Binary.. Just a shame I cannot import a sequence of 3D objects.. Is there a way I can just add a few obj's into the timeline to test to see it the mouth moves as an FBX file.. Even three obj's would do the job..

It seems that even at this forum a user wanted to know how to import a sequence of FBX files into one file.. Same thing I guess. https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/2377/ I just used AutoDesk FBX exporter to export my OBJs into Binary FBX's.. Now I will try to find a way to combine as one single FBX.. i realise that all this might seem to be a bit of a strange method to achieve a fine FBX animation but I am no expert to I need to find a fast and easy way to add students voices to talking toon since I have 32 students and my adjoining teacher has 31 students. We simple do not have time to create a professional output.. It used to be easy for us to do this using the older Poser with Mimic.. But OSX have killed the software .. Now I cam certain I have Binary FBX's, but how to combine into one since FBX.. emmm One step forward and 3 back.. If we being to run out of time, we will have to use Crazy Talk... Bit yucky but I will allow us to complete the unit..

Ok, I try it again ... There is a reason that obj-sequences aren't imported as you wish with magically adding the morphs (and / or skeletons), creating an animation just at the right frame rate. It's a nonsense format to do an animation in a 3d app, as easy as that, so nobody who's really into 3d would use it voluntarily. There are a lot of better ways to do it. Like a gazillion or so.

And I understand perfectly well that you don't have the time or the wish to learn a lot of all this 3d stuff. Therefore you should forget your obj-sequence-to-fbx-solution which isn't possible in the way you seem to want it (only with quite some work and learning).

Instead you have the option to do it Zoohead's way which could be as smooth as what you did in flash in earlier times. But on the other hand, if you could get your hands on photoshop you probably have or know someone with an Adobe cloud abo. There is an animation software called Character Animator which has some kind of inbuilt Mimic. You could import pictures and create any talking animation you want.

Or you get daz studio. That's free. From Daz. Buy that mimic plugin (some 20 bucks), redo the animation with as much toons as are available there, render it out and voilà, no hassle with fbx or whatever.

These are the easiest solutions I can think of.

And nobody here talked about professional output (that would need a lot more), just what's possible in such an app as Cheetah and the other 3d apps you tried out. And that some other people want to do it this way doesn't say much. A google search could lead me to the result that the earth actually is flat (no disrespect meant).

Good luck

Its seems that high-end animators use obj sequence import all the time using Maya. Stop Motions animators use it to make movies. Special effects artists also use this method.. I used sequences with Shake many years go, but that software is now a distant memory..
It might not be a process that all 3D animators would want to use, but there sure are many many 3D artists looking for solutions to import an obj sequence. I love it due to the high quality output, but low file size. Maya also exports to the FBX binary..
SequenceMaya.jpg

Actually I answer more for the benefit of others that may stumble over this thread in the coming years...

And no, "high-end animators" usually will not use a format as this if they somehow can prevent it (not inside their 3d apps at least). There are mainly two reasons why not only I think it's a stupid animation format:

1. An obj-sequence works simply as this. You have all the single objs in your scene, each one placed at a certain time. The animation works because only one obj at the time is visible. The rest is switched off. So, talking about the usual standard for a video, which still is 24 frames a second, you have 24 objects for one sec of animation. Even a simple model as this smiley has 15'624 Polys. That's fairly lowpoly by today's standards. So a 2 Minute Animation get's you 15'624*24*60*2= 44'997'120 Polys which would have to be in your computer's ram at the same time, just for this one character alone, no background, no anything else. That's manageable, yes, but unnecessary with such a low poly model, and with high poly stuff, especially with more than one character, you bring down every computer and every app (and even before that you can say goodbye to gpu-rendering because the whole scene has to fit in the vc's ram to render). (For example a model with a polycount of 156 k isn't anything unusual, meaning 450 million polys, using two such characters gets you close to a billion).

2. Customers are known for changing their mind, you know. They o.k.ed everything, are happy with the outcome, but then look at the animation and say something like 'You know, I thought about this. It should look less like an m&m' or something from that mold. And they would expect you to make such a light change in a few minutes, render the stuff again (which alone would take hours), and so on. Doing it the normal way, you'd end with changing all the morphs, which is bad enough, but depending on your software not that much hassle (for example there are tools in many 3d apps where you can replace portions of the mesh in several morph maps at the same time or if it's really a small detail you only have to change the base when using morph containers).
If you have a sequence of meshes to change that means you'd change every one of them, in our example of a two minute animation 120 times and if it's something that actually moves there's not much you could do to cut the work (but you'd have to work very carefully to get a consistent animation).

I knew that some people use(d) such sequences in After Effects (rather Element 3d for AE which is why once a user asked that question about fbx. Even for that I thought it unfitting), so I understand somehow, why Maya can export it . And the possibility to import obj-sequences suggests that there are actually people using this format (even if I do believe that it's a script you have to use to get this functionality) for something else. So I do hope for you that it actually does change all your objs into morphs of a base object. Otherwise the fbx will not be very helpful (somehow I don't think that simlab, which I don't know, would be able to cope with over 200 meshes and animate them correctly). So, I'm actually interested in the outcome of your project (not the result in itself but just if it really worked this way).

(And I still think you'd have saved a lot of time just using daz studio and mimic light).

My idea to create a talking FBX animation using a sequence of obj's has been shot down due to not understanding what I am trying to achieve. I have tried to export animations with morphs, but morphs do not seem to work with any software I have, not even Maya Binary FBX.. So I thought that I might be able to cheat by creating a sequence of obj's, then add the audio to the animation track and export as an FBX that way. But so far the process is long winded.. It does work, its been proven by others I have chatted to. I need the FBX format to be able to add the entire talking 3D into a Virtual Realty scene. I created the sound track by typing the words in MS Word then allowing the software to speak the words and record it at the same time. I just edited the silent start and end.. http://tesselaar-romanoff.com/Talking-MM/Talking-MM.html This is not what I really wanted but I did this animation on the quick to make sure the lip sync works OK.. The video is only 2.4mb so its not production quality, but good enough to test..

Thank you! ... At last!!... This is exactialy the thinking I was suggesting there might be available to achieve in Cheetah.. Many software apps have Add-ons or Scripts.. Since Cheetah can export FBX, a sequence should work as a FBX and so therefore it will work in a VR, I hope! I just had a quick read. I did not see any comments shouting down the use of sequence of obj's.. I will give it a go...

It seems the export script url has been hacked by someone else. There is an import script too, but I have not tried that and at the moment I do not need that feature.. But I will try it out.. I did a search on this forum before I started this post, but I could not find anything.. It seems that there could be an option to import an obj sequence, I just need to find someone here with the scrip to try... I will comment on that post to see if the scrip is still available.. Thank you so much for your post..

Last edited:
It seems the export script url has been hacked by someone else. There is an import script too, but I have not tried that and at the moment I do not need that feature.. But I will try it out.. I did a search on this forum before I started this post, but I could not find anything.. It seems that there could be an option to import an obj sequence, I just need to find someone here with the scrip to try... I will comment on that post to see if the scrip is still available.. Thank you so much for your post..
Try this link-Seq OBJ

I saved an Export Script to the Tools, but I do not have any script options.. Not sure If I am doing it right.. I go to Scripts but everything is empty.. I added an Export Script from another post.. I did everything they said to do.. But nothing seems to be available.. What am I doing wrong..?? I created a simple animation to Export as obj's, just to test the script. But that is as far as I can go..

Attachments

• No-Script-1.jpg
    No-Script-1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 221
I also saved the Sequential OBJ.js to Tools Plugins but that too does not show in Cheetah.. No script options are available....

You have to go to User/Library/App Support/Cheetah 3d/Scripts/Polygonobj to install that script. (That may be slightly off as I’m working from memory, but should be close). Mac hides that user library folder by default. Hold the option key down while selecting the Go menu bar item. That will show the library folder you need. Make sure you restart Cheetah after installing a new script. It only loads them on startup.

Last edited:
You are good.!!! That worked, I can now see the scripts, thank you.. My way, I did it by adding the scripts into the Package, oops!. I removed them now.. However, both scripts made Cheetah crash.. :cautious: Perhaps its how I activated them.. I just opened my quick test animation file, then went to Scripts and clicked on them.. Crash!.. What might I be doing wrong..??

I don't have sequential OBJ files anymore but I tried to open the script and it worked fine.
I think you open the script first and load the files from there.

Strange thing.. If I go to User/Library/App Support/Cheetah 3d/Scripts/, all the folders are empty, except for the two scripts I put in there.. However, when I open the Package and go to plugins/scripts, there are scripts in the folders, however, none of them show in the GUI within Cheetah . Perhaps the install process does not work correctly.. The only way any of those default scripts can be made available, would be for me to move them to User/Library/App Support/Cheetah 3d/Scripts/

Last edited:
Well, that did not work.. I opened a new file, clicked on Sequential OBJ.js, in the hope it would ask for a location to my obj sequence, but Cheetah crashes.. Real shame.. If I can achieve this, I am almost there.

I don't have any copies of v6 anymore, just v7 or I would test.
It's odd that your scripts are not where they should be.

Is there a smaller file to test with?

Back