hexagonal array

PS: If useful in the project:
* You can array the primary tetrahedron on the X & Z axis to get a “flat” (well, flat on 2 levels) particle mesh of a suitable orthogonal grid.
* For a 3D PM add an array on Z.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 15.40.56.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-17 at 15.40.56.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 350
So I got the tetrahedron array built, but I just made three layers to test this out. Something strange is going on when I add the particle array of the balls. I've included a screenshot. The ball array is offset somehow, and I also get a bunch of random balls included up above. I thought maybe they were some extra points left hanging around so I tried an area select there but nothing showed up to delete.

So far so good. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• tetragrid.jpeg
    tetragrid.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 327
* No idea as you are using C3D V6. In V6 stacked particle meshes were shown in the editor (they could not be rendered). In V7 (unfortunately) the 2nd level is not even shown in the editor.
* Please post a zipped .jas. I am mildly reluctant to exhume an old C3D V6 on my main Mac, but I can test that on the “other” Mac, which is just a few steps away.

* No panic. Bear in mind that - as stated, the V7 does not show a secondary particle mesh in the editor. You need to collapse the primary PM-mesh before being able to see the lower-level PM construct.
* I have suggested in a thread months ago that the V6 option (show it in the editor / ignore it in the renderer) was a time saver during the design phase and should be reactivated. No such luck.

* @Dr Martin: If you read this, please consider the advantages of having access to a 2-level hierarchy of particle meshes in the editor. Rendering does not really matter at this stage, fine tuning a second layer (whilst having a tweakable first layer) would be great for a productive work flow.

Servus from Vienna

If you're not afraid of a little scripting, the best option might be a scripted particle system. This would let you mathematically position each atom, and also do dynamic stuff (like vibration in animations).

Custom particle systems are actually pretty simple to write — here's a really simple particle system (one particle).

You install them in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Cheetah3D/Scripts/Particle (you'll need to restart C3D);

Code:
function buildObject(obj){
    var core = obj.core();
    var p = core.addParticle();
    p.setPosition(new Vec3D(0,1,0));
    p.setRotation(new Vec3D(0,45,0));
}

Well, I have no idea why, but on a hunch I just pasted my tetrahedron arrays into a new document and added the particle meshes and lo and behold everything worked perfectly. I think you guys may have helped me do what I needed to do. If not, I'll post again, if so, then I'll post a pic of the finished diagram as soon as the researchers let me. :)

* Your basic set of a quadruplet of tetrahedra is - by itself - a particle mesh of tetrahedra baed on a tetrahedron (shown in wire mode). No need for copy / paste and snapping, just rotate by 90°.
* As V7 does not show stacked particle meshes you need to dissolve it for the sub level of PMs, anyway.
I was hoping you would drop by. Thanks for the tip. I think I have learned more about Cheetah 3D over the last couple of months than the previous five years.

Back