Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

Are flat patterns from 3D models possible?

Is it possible to create a flat pattern from a 3D model that we can use to produce an actual object. We are modifying a sports mascot beak from a chicken to a pelican.

Hasdrubal - Re: flat pattern

The Flat pattern is what I will use to cut out the flat pieces in poly foam and bend and glue them to create the actual head of the costume that a person will wear. I'm currently trying to create the pattern out of flat pieces of paper through trial and error. It's a long innaccurate process.

I am checking out the pattern software you suggested now. I really appreciate it!

You're welcome! I don't know what happened to 123d Make? Maybe AutoDesk dropped support for it?

Anyway, the pepakura software is highly rated. It's made for doing something like what you want. The problem with trying to use UV maps are that they aren't really meant to maintain the surface area of each polygon. They're meant to plot the texture in 3d space that conforms to your object. So the way you mark your seams and upwrap the UV could have make a huge difference in the UV polygon shapes. Most likely they would come out distorted somewhere.

Here's a video on YouTube showing how a guy uses pepakura to make an Iron Man costume. I'm sure there are other tutorials around as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2GMR6DjDA

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like a fun.

Hi,
I've released Cheetah3D 7.0 today. It's available from my download page.

https://www.cheetah3d.com/download.php

I want to thank all the beta testers for their help finishing Cheetah3D 7. Thank you very much.:smile: :smile:

Kind regards
Martin

Martin, thanks for all your hard work on v7. I hope it smashes all sales records, results in many happy customers, and makes you a wealthy man.

Thanks also to all the beta testers.

Martin, I just downloaded the new v7 commercial release. The "register cheetah" window tells me it is registered, but I'm not sure if this is right. I think it should be a paid upgrade.

I have 2 v6 licenses, but I think both were bought before the free upgrade cutoff date. Can you confirm ?

Thanks

* Thank you, Martin!
* As you have been publishing C3D V7 today at 4 AM CET, I also extend wishes for a Good Morning to your end of the Danube :smile: :wink: :tongue:

Congratulations Martin!

Thanks for all your hard work, your responsiveness, and continued development of this great program.

Fantastic! Thank you Martin. One of the greatest things about Cheetah is it's stability. It rarely crashes, a pleasure to work with. Again sincere thanks.:icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: :cool:

Back