Cheetah3D 7.0 - Early Adopters Beta Test

Not a repeatable issue with any other file thus far:

In Cheetah3D 7.0 Beta 26, when I click & drag the magnifying glass or other icons in the upper right corner of the 3D View it'll Zoom/Pan/Rotate/Orbit sporadically and go haywire instead of smoothly zooming in/out, etc. Didn't notice this behavior with previous versions using the same .jas file.

This behavior only occurred in Camera View Mode, all the others (i.e. Perspective, Front, Back, etc.) work as expected.:confused:

P.S.: Discovered it only occurs with this attached .jas file.
3D View tools behave normally if I create a new empty scene or open other older scenes.
Not sure why this happened so decided to share just in case someone else has experienced such a thing, but it appears to be a one-off in my case.

Attachments

• Statue Head+vtxClr_c3d.jas.zip
    116 KB · Views: 360
Hi there

"Super tiny" - I didn't look at the file, but the example image doesn't seem to show smaller models than I use at the moment.

I work on a picture with lots of small objects, some of them less then 1 cm in diameter and a few millimeters high. The biggest element is some 15 cms high. I create those things in a separate file, with the material, test-render, and put them in the other file afterwards. Up to now I didn't experience any problem. Didn't create all of them in the actual version, though, but some of them yesterday and today with 26.

Often I shape those things in bigger scale (say 10:1) and make them smaller afterwards. Especially in a really physically based render engine it should make a big difference in make-believe using the accurate measurements of an object. It's about light and the 'virtual lens' of the camera. Working in wrong scales I usually get the 'model feeling'.

Anyway, as I didn't experience the problem, there must be something else strange with the models. Maybe it's just the pivot or so.

Last edited:
Camera Pivot off

Hi there
"Super tiny" - I didn't look at the file, but the example image doesn't seem to show smaller models than I use at the moment.
Good catch: The camera pivot point is off. You can correct it by reseting all camera rotation and position values and while in pivot mode with raster snapping enabled bring it back to X,Y,Z=0.
It´s faster to grab a new camera though and to delete the corrupted one.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Camera Pivot.gif
    Camera Pivot.gif
    60 KB · Views: 677
Ah yes, Thanks for saving my sanity!

It appears that I was in pivot mode when moving the camera as a result of the models scale being tiny. Good to know, appreciate the knowledge.:redface:

* Comment:
* Rotating a camera (or any other object) around an excentric axis can be quite effective. In essence you get a spline-tracked camera (on a 2D / 3D circular arc) with the focus locked to the pivot. Useful for simplish loopy orbits and weird tumbles :tongue:

Martin.

I realise you are probably fed up of this question, but do you have a date for the full, public release of v7 ?

Thank you.

Cheetah 3D for Apple Xcode 9 development

Martin,
I love your product and use it a lot, and I'm playing with Cheetah3d 7.0 now. One aspect of your product that would really benefit Apple Xcode users would be to support a native Apple SCN output file format. Apple already imports Collada fine, and your product works great for this, but if you import this format into Apples Xcode and try to convert it to Apple's SCN format it always fails the conversion within Xcode. Another nice feature would be the ability to change the animation routines tied to a Model easier, thus being able to just export the Collada Animation routines which can then be called from SceneKit and overlaid over the existing Collada Model. This way a user could create say an animated and fully rigged character, and then just load this character with different poses and animation routines more easily then it presently is. This would greatly influence the use of Cheetah 3D version 7 for Apple game development and you could even charge an upgrade fee to add this capability to version 7, and I'm sure you would get lots of takers myself include.

Waiting for release in hopes of updated tutorials

I haven't used C3D a lot. I purchased the current release version, so I can use the beta, but I've been waiting for the release to really dig in, because I was hoping to avoid having to filter all the information included in tutorials through what's new. As time goes on, I'm starting to think that's a mistake. Any advice? Thanks.

Advice? Just use the beta. It's more stable then most finished products, and what everybody needs to get good results is experience (it's the same with any app). There's no need to wait.

If you run into a problem, ask here.

Cheetah 3D v7 is currently as solid or more so than any of my other apps. It's also more stable than most humans I know.

HDRI Background shows even if not checked in Beta 27

How can I get the HDRI background not to show in the render?

I have not checked it in the HDRI properties.
I used ZooHead’s HDRI White version of “entrance_hall_pano_small”
Its document is too large to be accepted in this thread and I can't find it in the threads.

I used an altered version of the Membrane Matt.

Example #1 Shows the matt rendered out in Beta 26
Example #2 Shows the matt rendered out in Beta 27

Thanks

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• HDRI_Membrane Beta 26 Test 2.png
    HDRI_Membrane Beta 26 Test 2.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 469
  • HDRI_Membrane Beta 27 Test 2.png
    HDRI_Membrane Beta 27 Test 2.png
    130.6 KB · Views: 473
  • Matt.png
    Matt.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 472
  • HDRI_Membrane Beta 27 Test 2.jas.zip
    47 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
I posted the wrong .jas file in my first post today.
I have edited it and now the correct file is in that post.

Thanks

My Best
Jeanny

Membrane shader seems defective

This indeed looks strange for a membrane shader - no idea where the reflectivity came from.
BTW: it seems your additional nodes in your shader set-up don´t do anything in rendering - you can skip them.

Cheers
Frank

:D Thanks Frank.

You are right: The extra nodes don’t change anything.
Well . . . it looks impressive . . . or maybe not. :razz:
Hope it gave you a good laugh anyhow. :lol:

About the Reflection:
I changed a bunch of the HDRI properties: Rotation, Intensity and Clamp.
I also played around with the Falcon Render properties: Gamma and Dither.
Oh - and I still leave Caustics checked even though it is temporarily dismantled.

Could any of those be causing the reflectivity?

My Best
Jeanny

Attachments

• HDRI PROPERTIES.png
    HDRI PROPERTIES.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 427
  • Falcon Properties.png
    Falcon Properties.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
:D Thanks for Beta 27 Martin.
The fixes are quite nice.
Among the other improvements the transparent shadows sure look pretty now.

Thanks for replying to my post.
Looking forward to Beta 28.

My Best
Jeanny

I realise you are probably fed up of this question, but do you have a date for the full, public release of v7 ?

I have no date but it will be pretty soon. Since Cheetah3D 6.x has some problems on High Sierra I'm more or less forced to release v7 which is ready for High Sierra.:redface:

Bye
Martin

I'm not clear if caustics were temporarily disabled or if they won't make it to the C3D 7.0 release.. hopefully they will. Soft shadows don't seem completely right without the caustics.. just my 2 cents

Back