Nice character animation done with Cheetah3D

Thank you

Yeah!. Thank you so much! The best feature in C3D is finally ready(or almost ready?:) ) Can we download 4.0 now? For the people who own 3.0 do we have to pay to get 4.0. Cheetah3D is now up there with the big apps. Almost nothing it can't do (particle system & cloth animation:rolleyes: :) )

Thanks so much Martin:icon_thumbup:,
Greg

P.S Can we animate fingers?

Last edited:
Hi,
sorry but 4.0 isn't finished yet. You understood something wrong. There will be a couple of 3.x releases before.

Bye,
Martin

Oops. I guss I did understand wrong:redface:. Anyway I am still very happy to see that animation. Do you know when it will be realesd? A bete realese would be great.

Thanks,
Greg

character animation...

like eureka said,

this puts c3d uncomfortably close to the "big apps", and with the amount of money, resources, people and time that they have at their disposal, they should be ashamed of themselves for what they charge in ratio to what they deliver.

that one man, albeit an incredibly talented one, but one no less, can get this close to the "players" is a testament to inspired talent, as well as an exposure of perhaps overly confident, creatively lethargic moguls.

feature lists are just lipstick and rouge when it comes to 3d modeling, but as a tool, is there anything right now that the "big apps" can do that cd3 cannot also accomplish. especially in competent hands. not much i dare say.

well done martin.

eargerly awaiting animation, and the marvels that the talented people on this forum will create with it. i'm just beginning myself. waiting on 'fused' dvd tut to arrive. but i know i'm in the right place to grow.

Wow, This is looking better everyday! Cheetah is certainly getting closer to the BIG 3d apps. And indeed incredibly done by a couple of people.:icon_thumbup: :icon_thumbup: So after character animation are you going to work on materials and the renderer? I hope so. It would be nice to have some better materials sometimes. And the postproc DOF would also be nice! Anyway... I'm looking forward to giving this a try and animate some people through my buildings!!!

Regards,

Peter

So after character animation are you going to work on....... the renderer? I hope so.
Hi Peer.
Noticed your sink indigo render and you at the indogo forum. I have a try with a sample scene, simple but hard. After 3hs I got this:
I wanted to figure out, what Cheetah3d can do for us and built up the scene and this this is what I got 15minutes later:
To say it clear: No lights were added to the scene it´s just emitting materials caught by radiosity.
I think we´re almost holding a diamond in hands.
With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• im1164963897.jpg
    im1164963897.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 446
  • Cheetah3DSchnappschuss001.jpg
    Cheetah3DSchnappschuss001.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 446
Hi Frank. That's a nice comparison!! I'm just looking into Indigo. More of a hobby. Anyway there are still some issues regarding transparency/HDri for instance. I'll give it a try with the same scene as well. Maybe it could be nice to try and mimmick some Indigorender/Maxwell renders in Cheetah (in a fraction of the rendertimes :) ).

Regards,

Peter

Here's my try. I used 2 arealights instead of emitting planes, rendertime 5 mins. . What settings did you use for radiosity and emitter material Frank? I'm not really satisfied with using "solidColor" material for emitters, it gives a lot of noise. But maybe I'm missing something.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• balls01.jpg
    balls01.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 319
So after character animation are you going to work on materials and the renderer? I hope so.

I always try to circle through the different feature sets (modeler, renderer, animation, scripting) of Cheetah3D to keep the hole package in balance. Cheetah3D should neither become a pure renderer nor a pure modeler.

After skeletal animation a more advanced material system is actually the most often wished feature. So a new material system will have the highest priority after 4.0.
The new material system should also make it easier to finish some features which are already partially implemented but which are on hold just because of some limitations of the old material system.

Bye,
Martin

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the reply. I'll can wait for the material system. Cheetah is doing a great job already and I'm still learning some nice tricks to create nice pictures! btw. is the bonesystem also usable on other objects. For instance a folding crane?

Regards,

Peter

is the bonesystem also usable on other objects. For instance a folding crane?

theoretically yes, but inverse kinematics will help much more. There will be also some other features which will make it much easier to animate such machines.

Bye,
Martin

P.S. Blender 2.42a? Grrrrrrr :rolleyes:

theoretically yes, but inverse kinematics will help much more. There will be also some other features which will make it much easier to animate such machines.

Bye,
Martin

P.S. Blender 2.42a? Grrrrrrr :rolleyes:
Now come on Martin. :)

Andrew

A new materials system will be a dream come true...but we're not talking shader networks here, are we...?

As an aside to the render comparisons, I'm constantly amazed at the usability of C's render system compared to the competition. Setting up HDRI and Radiosity in Cinema 4D is like pulling teeth. And modo, while it's got a lovely renderer, is unusable while it's rendering -- the whole program locks solid, and can't be used. Got a 10-hour render on the go? Don't think about doing any modelling...C's super-multithreaded renderer is something that no app in my experience can match. Martin really should take a bow on that one.

And the facility of being able to add HDRI and Radiosity as a Camera property, rather than a property of the scene just gives you sooooo much flexibility.

Since I was talking about modo, I don't suppose there are any plans for an m-style interactive preview renderer, are there?

I know I'm getting my Area Render tool...but I just thought I'd ask!;)

Oh, yeah, and the 1-click Panorama renderings are something else...sorry, blatant plug for the QTVR panoramas that I've added to my site...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Last edited:
Nice Job

I saw it on the home page and it looked so good that I need to add a smilies!:icon_thumbup:

Keep the work up

Piercce

A new materials system will be a dream come true...but we're not talking shader networks here, are we...?

Shader nodes are great but also very confusing if you don't really know what they do. I personally prefer some sort of mixture. The power of shader nodes but well hidden for those who don't care about the internal working of shaders.

Since I was talking about modo, I don't suppose there are any plans for an m-style interactive preview renderer, are there?

I know I'm getting my Area Render tool...but I just thought I'd ask!;)

Do you mean with "m-style" something like in Maya. Where a selected area of the OpenGL preview is rendered automatically? If yes, then I have to say such a feature would be very cool.:wink:

Oh, yeah, and the 1-click Panorama renderings are something else...sorry, blatant plug for the QTVR panoramas that I've added to my site...:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

It's also on my wish list.

bye,
Martin

Back