Newbie: Texture label keeping the selected polygon background

Newbie: Texture label keeping the selected polygon background

Hi!

Made a small plate where I have used the inner circle and added a circular pattern with PNG transparent. What I assumed was to keep the "platter background" also on the inner polygon circles (which now has applied the png image) but they are as they should now transparent (see through where only the image are shown and the transparent parts of the image goes through the polys)

Any easy way to tell C3D to "keep the background" from the platter and just "label" the image on top?

Do I have to use the composite way in the node editor of the material or are there a smarter way. (From what I know you cant use composite to have a full material as the background color - simply just the color right? As in: I cant do that if I want gold background and the image on top? Or..)

Now I have 2 materials on the platter. The one in the middle containing the image and "the rest of the platter" with its own material.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Hi Frank: Close but thats as I mentioned if you want "green" (a color) to be underlaying the image. What I want is to be able to put a material as the background (green in your example) for example "gold". So to put that image on gold would be what I am trying to achieve... But yes this was my initial approach but I seem to get lost further than what you showed me now..

Thanks as always!

Hi Frank: Close but thats as I mentioned if you want "green" (a color) to be underlaying the image. What I want is to be able to put a material as the background (green in your example) for example "gold". So to put that image on gold would be what I am trying to achieve... But yes this was my initial approach but I seem to get lost further than what you showed me now..

Thanks as always!

EDIT: THIS DOES NOT WORK but leaving it here for preservation of that fact. I don't know if this is a bad idea but you may want to try just adding multiple textures to the polygons that should have both textures. When I do this in C3D 6.3.2 it seems to composite both textures together without using the node system. If you are exporting your model then this might cause confusion of the textures applied to UVs so it may not work outside of C3D. (not sure)

1) Add your default texture to the entire model
2) Select just the polygons that need the "overlay" texture
3) Drag the second texture on to those selected polygons

Also, this may not work well if you need to perform any UV mapping of the overlay texture since the scale and position of the background texture will not remain alined with the rest of the model.

If this is generally a bad idea please post here as well because I'd also like to know a better way to do it if there is one! ;-)

Attachments

• overlay textures.png
    overlay textures.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I'm not sure why this works on some but not others!
If you have reflective materials your label will not be visible anymore.
Here´s a set-up that works quite well; in essence you need an image to mask out the reflection and a composite node to bring back some colored reflection outside the masked region.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• LabelOnMetal.jpeg
    LabelOnMetal.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 335
If you have reflective materials your label will not be visible anymore.
Here´s a set-up that works quite well; in essence you need an image to mask out the reflection and a composite node to bring back some colored reflection outside the masked region.

Cheers
Frank

THAT was impressive Frank and thank you to both for answering me. I will go and play with this and know already it will work. Thanks man!

It is a work-around as I see it and hope this would be something Martin could strengthen in v7+ since mapping of labels etc in my world are so crucial. It could simply be done by using the arrange materials to the right of the mesh list in the object browser. So if you have lets say "Gold" to the left and add a material no 2 to the same item where "sticker" are then to the right of the gold to the left you get the picture and then map these in that layered order onto the object. Don´t think it would break any logics and make a huge improvement on this topic.

Last edited:
Back