Label Tutorial

Label Tutorial

Hi All,
Brand new to cheetah 3d, could someone explain or show video tutorial in detail how to model a vitamin bottle with a label wrapped around it?
I've been searching for days and could not find anything from start to finish on how to do this.

Thanks so much!

Rich

Maybe this one lets get you started:

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• VitaminB.gif
    VitaminB.gif
    158.4 KB · Views: 753
Thanks so much Frank, can't wait to try this out. Is there anyway that I could download this so I could follow along stop and start as I go?

Rich

Thanks so much Frank, can't wait to try this out. Is there anyway that I could download this so I could follow along stop and start as I go?

Rich

Hi Rich, it's a gif file so if you open it with Preview, you can flip through one frame at a time.

Thanks so much Frank, you saved me hours of frustration!:icon_thumbup:

And zoohead, thx for the tip on the gif file!

Rich

Another one

Okay, another request... what if we had a product that had 2 labels, say flat labels meaning not going around the product but like a windex type of bottle?
There would be a label on the front and then a label on the back. How would you go about modeling and rendering something like this? (attached)

Thanks again in advance!

Rich

Attachments

• windex bottle.jpg
    windex bottle.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 690
How would you go about modeling and rendering something like this?
Example is one I made for Help->Cheetah3d samples->Modeling->Canister.jas
For translucent labeled curved-surface container the steps are:
Select polygons where the label is about to appear.
Copy.
Take new polygon object from Objects->Polygon->Polygonobject
Make editable: paste. As the label occupies the same spot move it a tiny bit from the surface.
Use scalpel-tool to cut-out the parallelogram shape of label. Boolean operation with a shifted cube will also work - we don´t mind "bad" topology in this case.
Use UV-mapper to generate UVs - write UV coords - save as PDF
Design your label
Export as image.
Make new material
Load image to diffuse channel.
Camera - lights - action.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• LabeledContainer.jpeg
    LabeledContainer.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 662
Draw Spline in Illustrator?

Question for you guys-

If I draw the outlines of a bottle in Illustrator, which I am much more accustomed to having used it so long, is there a way to bring into Cheetah and use the lathe tool to
make 3D?

Rich

Not sure what you mean. Export to SVG or PDF from Illustrator or import into Cheetah3d?
Second case simply drag the file onto Cheetah3d´s icon or go "File->Import". Your spline will appear relative to the origin in Illustrator.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank,
I am back to this bottle with a label project and I have a question. When I select polygons on the bottle and save the generated UVs to a PDF, and open in Illustrator or Photoshop the area is not high-lighted as a selection. Am I missing a step here?

Thx,
Rich

Last edited:
Cheetah3d saves what you have on the template to PDF - if you want the selection a separate part call "split-tool" and make an UV-unwrap or a good use of the UV-mapper.

Cheers
Frank

Back