UV Mapping "How To" Needed

I'm happy to say I got through the tutorial, so great to finally understand how to do this. Frank, do you take any type of tips?

Down the line, if I wanted to update one side of this shirt, is there a simple way to just select the one side?

Frank, do you take any type of tips?
I´m running on beer if this counts. :giggle:
In 0:22min I select one half of the shirt via area select in top view. Once you unwrap that half you can go Selection->Invert Selection what I´ve done at 1:30min. To select these islands in the UVs tab/Layout there´s "Group select" under Selection.

Cheers
Frank

I´m running on beer if this counts. :giggle:
In 0:22min I select one half of the shirt via area select in top view. Once you unwrap that half you can go Selection->Invert Selection what I´ve done at 1:30min. To select these islands in the UVs tab/Layout there´s "Group select" under Selection.

Cheers
Frank

I'll send you beer money, if you tell me where to send it!

I was able to follow the "invert selection" process in your video, and it seems like "Group Select" is what I'm looking for, thanks.

EDIT: and after playing around a bit more, I FINALLY feel like I understand how to UV map in Cheetah3D! I think I understand at least 12% of Cheetah3D now!

Last edited:
EDIT: and after playing around a bit more, I FINALLY feel like I understand how to UV map in Cheetah3D! I think I understand at least 12% of Cheetah3D now!
Great news. In any case you need some hints on the UV-mapper here´s a small introductory video:

Cheers
Frank
PS: please check your PM.

I have a new question(s) for you Frank..

If I have an image with alpha channel, what do I have to do to make any color show behind the image? for example, I would like for this cup to be yellow.

Second question, my image is in TIFF format, what's the best format for textures with alpha channel? I thought it would recognize PNG with transparency, but I don't think it does. So I saved this image in TIFF format with an alpha channel, but the color behind the texture is not showing.. how do I do that?

Last question.. as you can see in my screenshot, once I apply the texture with alpha to my model, the model displays the texture... with alpha lol.. so I can no longer see the shaded model except the texture. How do I turn that off?

This is a workaround. Instead of using the alpha channel, I'm using multiply. But if my logo had other colors or shades of gray it wouldn't work, so I would love to know how to make it work with the alpha channel.

I don´t see any reason why TIFF or TGA shouldn´t work except you skipped the alpha channel or in the wrong color mode (CYMK instead of RGB):

MorningCoffee.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Skull Kopie.tiff.zip
    124.2 KB · Views: 229
I don´t see any reason why TIFF or TGA shouldn´t work except you skipped the alpha channel or in the wrong color mode (CYMK instead of RGB):
Cheers
Frank

Hey @frank beckmann

I saw in the link misoversaturated mentioned that the image node connects to color 1 (composite node). I tried connecting to color 0 and it didn't work, but it does in color 1. I don't understand why is this but it does :)

At first I didn't realize I needed to use a composite node, I thought the shading system would accept the image + alpha directly in the shader node.

The cup with the logo in white is using the composite node, the others are using multiply (I'll correct that later). I made this model just as a test, I'm doing a better looking cup for a little tutorial for a friend (basic subdiv modeling), so i wanted to get the texture right too. :D

cheers!

At first I didn't realize I needed to use a composite node, I thought the shading system would accept the image + alpha directly in the shader node.
Order is always important and for your expectation we would need texture layering which isn´t available yet.
But your logo image seems to have a white background not transparency - this is why it works with multiply node.

for a little tutorial for a friend (basic subdiv modeling), so i wanted to get the texture right too.
(y)

Cheers
Frank

It has a white background AND alpha.. that's why it works now in both multiply and composite nodes :)

Finder sees the alpha channel

Captura de Pantalla 2019-09-13 a la(s) 4.10.00.png

Strange. I switched the order in the composite node and now it works. It gives a different result but it works. Never mind, I don't know what happened the first time I tried.

I'm sorry, I've been messing with it a lot. This is the current state of that cup. It works great in any case, thanks for all your help.

Captura de Pantalla 2019-09-13 a la(s) 4.20.40.png

@frank beckmann

Okay I could reproduce the error or whatever it is.

First I have to say, in the example above I was using a PNG file. It works in either input of the Composite node. No problem there.

But now in the example below, it is a TIFF file WITH alpha. It only works if you connect the Image node to the Color 1 input of the Composite node.

Captura de Pantalla 2019-09-13 a la(s) 4.27.46.png

Captura de Pantalla 2019-09-13 a la(s) 4.28.04.png

In the second pic the image isn´t connected to Color 1.

So, it HAS TO be connected to Color 1 if it's a TIFF file?

Because it works fine if it is a PNG connected to Color 0 or Color 1, the result is not the same but the logo is visible.

Anyway it's not important, now I know how it works and how it won't work.

Have a good one!

It would, but in transparency (cutout) mode.
That works out of the box with the PBR shader, in the default material shader you need to check alpha transparency and set IOR to1.

Back