Robot Modeling Contest

When this contest ends I am assuming that every bot entered is part of the contest. That means that if you made more then one bot, they are all entered, but put under one group, such as WW's bots will be put under the WW group.

Am I also assuming that the ice cream bots made by WW for IScreamRobots are not part of the contest. If otherwise please say so.

That pretty much sums up all I wanted to go over.

Have fun submitting the rest of your entries, (if any)!

Please note that at the end I will make a special contest video showing off all the models in different categorys with third, second and first place plus honorable mention awards. :D

Any Objections, comments, etc.?

Just respond to this post! Thanks for participating, have a nice day. :D

-- GS

RP 400 Deluxe Tank!

Yes it IS a robot. :D

-- GS

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 576
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 550
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 582
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 571
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 576
Its not too close to the closing date for this contest yet but its getting there.
I'm just checking to see if anybody has any "last minute entries"
So far here are the entries, the contestants, and the closing date. :D

Cartoon Mike - "Rosie the Robot Maid"

WEEDO WONKA - "Sentinel 1.0 and Sentinels 1.1" , "Bloodasp From Mechwarrior", "Weedobot"

seb - "Automatic Gun Cannon"

Satoru - "TV Robot"

novolume - Wastepaper Basket Droid

GardenSpider (wait what the heck? why am I in the contest? oh right) - RP 400 Deluxe Tank

Swedenhjelm - ED-209 Baby

Seven contestants, and ten robots.

The contest ends January 30th 2011!

-- GS

Last edited:
I'll throw this little guy into the mix (despite the fact he looks like a waste paper bin!)

Attachments

• robot2.jpg
    robot2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 515
I'll throw this little guy into the mix (despite the fact he looks like a waste paper bin!)

very nice model and clean render Dave!
I also like your studio setup: I see the hdri reflected on the robot but what do you have here, a large white plane + white camera background or the usual L-shaped plane?

very nice model and clean render Dave!
I also like your studio setup: I see the hdri reflected on the robot but what do you have here, a large white plane + white camera background or the usual L-shaped plane?

Hi Alessandro, it much simpler - there's the robot, an HDRI and a disc with a shadowmat on it + camera background set to white. I really like the shadowmat for clean product type renders, although on this one I did run into a bit of an issue - the floor/disc is blocking out the hdri reflection in the lower half of the robot. I never really solved that (possibly one of the options on the render tag) but I just about got away with it on this one.

Hi Alessandro, it much simpler - there's the robot, an HDRI and a disc with a shadowmat on it + camera background set to white. I really like the shadowmat for clean product type renders, although on this one I did run into a bit of an issue - the floor/disc is blocking out the hdri reflection in the lower half of the robot. I never really solved that (possibly one of the options on the render tag) but I just about got away with it on this one.
This may can be solved by modeling/rendering your own ".hdr"-set up and put the result into the HDRI tag instead for a shot with a white camera background.

Cheers
Frank

This may can be solved by modeling/rendering your own ".hdr"-set up and put the result into the HDRI tag instead for a shot with a white camera background.

Cheers
Frank

I've read this technique before but I don't fully understand it, any chance of a brief breakdown?

Thanks

I really like the shadowmat for clean product type renders, although on this one I did run into a bit of an issue - the floor/disc is blocking out the hdri reflection in the lower half of the robot. I never really solved that (possibly one of the options on the render tag) but I just about got away with it on this one.

adding a render tag to the floor and uncheck visible in reflections lets the
HDR pass through the plane and reflect in the object (but this kills the reflection of the shadow on the ground too, giving some kind of "too clean to be real" effect imho)

Attachments

• HDRIreflection.jpg
    HDRIreflection.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 502
Back