Decorated pig

Stoned Pig

A couple of stoned pigs and the redwood seems to work on planks at 0.500. :smile:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,267
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,263
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    99 KB · Views: 1,276
  • Mat.zip
    38.3 KB · Views: 489
Woodblock

Inspired by the "Advanced RenderMan" book, I present: ink and woodblock pig.

It's interesting to contrast the material system with full-blown RenderMan shaders. A lot is possible, but the fact that you can only have one Shader node is a pretty big limitation. In this case, the line width was supposed to be modulated by a normal diffuse shader. Using I•N means it looks like just a camera light with no shadows.

Oh and Hi, I'm a new user here, mostly a programmer but we'll see whether I can also produce something besides code.

Bart.

Attachments

• woodblock-pig.png
    woodblock-pig.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Woodblock.c3dmat.zip
    14.1 KB · Views: 582
Welcome to the forum, Bart. Wow! I never thought it was possible.

Cheers
Terry

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,250
Hi Bart.
Great texture. :icon_thumbup:
If one like to have constant lines change the value of b: 2.5 eg.:p
ContantLines.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
More woodblock

I assume the b Frank meant was in the first multiply node, which is the line frequency. With 2.5, you get a new kind of toon shader.

If the roundness of the lines bothers you, then you can change the field of view of the camera to a smaller value, and then change the frequency multiplier.

Is it just me, or should "constant" nodes ideally appear on the properties screen, so you can expose just the interesting parameters of your materials?

Lastly, I started out not in screen space (what the State node calls "eye") but in parameter space. That doesn't work so well with the pig, but with simpler models (or ones where much more love has gone into UV mapping) it gives a great effect. Here's uv1 instead of eye:

Attachments

• woodblock-cylinder.png
    woodblock-cylinder.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,236
Bart,

Welcome. That was a killer add. I know everyone here can benefit from that one...even if they don't do line or toon shaders, it can make for a cool picture on a wall. :)

Is it just me, or should "constant" nodes ideally appear on the properties screen, so you can expose just the interesting parameters of your materials?

awesome stuff, bart !

when you click on the small checkerboard symbols in the mat properties, the corresponding node's properties are shown, so you can click your way through the whole sequence and access all properties without having the node editor displayed.

for constant nodes i have found yet two kinds of uses:
- when one parameter (like a certain color) should drive various nodes,
- when you need an intensity <0 or >1 for a color

update:

i tried the normal instead of the i-n as edge input and found out that you can do different light angles this way (x,y or z direction, mixing possible) but without shadows.
could not get rid of the no-lines-in-shadow effect though...

View attachment Woodblock-.c3dmat.zip

image.png

Last edited:
This was fun :)
Hi Tom, welcome to the forum!!

That is a VERY NICE material, can you share it with us, please?

Btw, I'm finding it hard to believe that you guys are using the same program as I am… I couldn't get anywhere near those effects…:icon_thumbup::icon_thumbup:

Oh, and I just used archie's "planethaze" material on the pig and got something funny-ish (see below) :)

Attachments

• funnypig.png
    funnypig.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 1,259
Last edited:
Swamp Pig

Going for moss, although I'm sure it could be done better.

temhawk, some materia;s need an HDRI. :wink:

Attachments

• pi copy.jpg
    pi copy.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,247
  • swamp.c3dmat.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 525
With and without HDRI with camera light on.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,257
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,234
Somehow it doesn't look very much like advertised (see below) :smile:

Attachments

• screenshot20091208at225.png
    screenshot20091208at225.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 1,246