Decorated pig

Washed Brick Pig

I just came up with this Washed Brick by accident. Actually what I was really looking for is this Toffee Apple material. If anyone has any tips on how to create the Toffee Apple material it would be much appreciated. :smile:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 1,360
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    262 KB · Views: 1,438
Hi Terry!
I tried to play with you mat (thanks... I'm gonna use your aging brick;) ). imho the problem is using the fractal texture for the refl channel. I added a bit of transparency (you won't notice it in my demo render due to the white background...) to create some sort of fake SSS, and checked the fresnel opt.

it's not there but you can enhance it for sure :rolleyes:

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• Caramel.png
    Caramel.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,323
  • Caramel.c3dmat.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 533
Hi Terry!
I tried to play with you mat (thanks... I'm gonna use your aging brick;) ). imho the problem is using the fractal texture for the refl channel. I added a bit of transparency (you won't notice it in my demo render due to the white background...) to create some sort of fake SSS, and checked the fresnel opt.

it's not there but you can enhance it for sure :rolleyes:

cheers,
Alessandro

Thanks Alessandro, I'll play around with your material and see if I can polish it a little. :icon_thumbup: :smile:
Terry

I just came up with this Washed Brick by accident. Actually what I was really looking for is this Toffee Apple material. If anyone has any tips on how to create the Toffee Apple material it would be much appreciated. :smile:

hey terry, when i render your brick mat on the default pig it looks not like brick but more like the apples !
i wonder what pig scene do you use ?
maybe the cam light is on ?

i really think your mudpig is the happiest of all :smile:

anyways, here's my take on the toffee:

View attachment toffee.c3dmat.zip

Untitled.jpg

@ alessandro:

you're making lots of delicious stuff lately, whenever you post a new mat i feel like looking for the cookie jar :smile:
maybe we'll need some exercising after christmas...

@ andreu:

ingenious use of the pulse node !
this could be used for all kinds of *aged* materials, maybe with some different scaling on y for more directionality.

- archie

Last edited:
Not sure about the apples, Archie. This is what it should look like with the camera light off.

Yes maybe wine glass is the answer, Robert.

Thanks guys
Terry

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,301
Not sure about the apples, Archie. This is what it should look like with the camera light off.

hm.
when i use your worn.brick mat on the default pig scenes in the cheetah examples folder i get this, already pretty close to the apple scene:

image.pngimage2.png

Not sure how you're getting those results, Archie. No lights, just camera light and HDRI. No radiosity etc.

i'm opening the pig example scene and delete the pink material.
then i load your mat from my community folder and drag it on the pig body in the object browser and hit render.
i did't change any of the settings.

now i wonder about your pig scene, definitely not the default scene.
when you use camlight, you get the flat look from a flash photo with no real plasticity / 3d feel.
that's no good approach to procedurals imho.
when you turn off the camlight your object will turn black and only the hdri reflections show up.

on the other hand you may be used to the camlight from your cartoony style work and maybe want to create the toffee look under this conditions ?
than something has to be faked so it does look like toffee under frontlight conditions, a not so simple task ...

Last edited:
Try this, Archie, this is the file I've been using. Not sure what's up here? But it might be the reason some materials were not working correctly in this file.HDRI is entrance_hall_pano-gold (I changed the color to gold-ish).

Attachments

• Pig.jas.zip
    14.1 KB · Views: 540
Toffee Pig

I think this one is close enough. :smile:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,462
  • toffee02.c3dmat.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 594
Try this, Archie, this is the file I've been using. Not sure what's up here? But it might be the reason some materials were not working correctly in this file.HDRI is entrance_hall_pano-gold (I changed the color to gold-ish).

terry, the problem arises from using camlight plus hdri-reflections.
here the reflections come from a totally different world/surrounding than the diffuse lightning.
for realistic lightning you need to check hdri background and apply ambient occlusion or radiosity and of course kill the camlight.

if you're after the camlight-look, well, it will never do realistic reflections.
you could use specular, but not with the carpaint shader.

View attachment Pig2.jas.zip

Untitled1.jpgimage.png

after all this eating and drinking... better start the new year with some fruit :rolleyes: (and very basic materials)

cheers,
Alessandro

Attachments

• WaterMelon.png
    WaterMelon.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 1,324
  • WaterMelon.c3dmat.zip
    18.5 KB · Views: 531
Back