Which feature would you like to see in 5.0?

Which feature would you like to see in 5.0?

• New material system (shader tree)

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • Particle/Instancing system

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Booleans with N-Gon support

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Area renderer

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Bevel tool

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Movie textures

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I totally agree with you Martin, these "new features" will make our workflow more efficient. Keep up the good work! I am will pay for the upgrade the first day it is out! Do you have any plans for an edge/point delete tool that doesn`t delete the hole polygon and an enhanced scalpel tool with snapping or a connect tool that will make it possible to split a polygon into two or more polygons with a 90 degree angle. I hope it will be possible to implement this into 5.0. Please....;)

Martin, I was just wondering, in terms of UI improvements (both fixing of bugs and general improvements), what do you have in mind for 5.0?

Also, just out of curiosity, are you the sole Cheetah3D programmer, or do you have other programmers helping?

You've mentioned stuff like SSS as part of the new material system, so that's a fairly major new feature.

One big question is whether you're planning to support any form of motion blur ... because that would be a very major addition.

red lines

hi,

in next version, i would like to see a option to deactivate the red lines around boolean objects. ist very difficult to move objects to the right place, if this red lines are visible.
and if there are a lot of boolean objects, the lots of red lines are very irritating.

thanks
bernd

deactivate the red lines around boolean objects
If this is easy to do, it would be nice - maybe the red lines appear only when the object is selected in the object browser?

;) @ROI in this case it would be interesting to have three modes: on / off / auto. auto is your suggested mode (on, by clicking the object). i would prefer a off-mode, because if i select a boolean object for move, the red lines will hide the edges of the objects and than it will be difficult to find the exact position.

thanks.
bernd

Martin, I was just wondering, in terms of UI improvements (both fixing of bugs and general improvements), what do you have in mind for 5.0?

I have some ideas which would be really handy but I'm not sure which ones I will add. But there will be also some UI / workflow enhancements.

Also, just out of curiosity, are you the sole Cheetah3D programmer, or do you have other programmers helping?

I'm the only programmer. But I have some helpers for the icons, documentation, web page etc. :smile:

Bye,
Martin

You've mentioned stuff like SSS as part of the new material system, so that's a fairly major new feature.

I said the the new material system will be prepared for SSS. At the moment it would require an ugly hack but with the new material system it will be quite straight forward. So I can't promise that SSS will be in 5.0. But it should follow in 5.x.

One big question is whether you're planning to support any form of motion blur ... because that would be a very major addition.

Depends on the time left.

Bye,
Martin

in next version, i would like to see a option to deactivate the red lines around boolean objects. ist very difficult to move objects to the right place, if this red lines are visible.
and if there are a lot of boolean objects, the lots of red lines are very irritating.

OK, that is probably more a bug in the current version which I could fix sooner. I obviously introduced it some time ago since I can't remember that I indented that behavior.:wink:

Bye,
Martin

OK, that is probably more a bug in the current version which I could fix sooner. I obviously introduced it some time ago since I can't remember that I indented that behavior.

hi martin, thanks for this offer. i think, it will help very much.

bernd

Attachments

• redlines.png
    redlines.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 289
Hi Martin,

How does the "Set Normal angle per polygon rather than per object" type thing look for future releases?

thanks
AaronC

I voted for the new material system. Particles come second and Arearender third.

Particles are imo important as a beginning step for smoke, fire and hairs - Especially burning hair that smokes ;)

How does the "Set Normal angle per polygon rather than per object" type thing look for future releases?

Hi,
I don't plan to add that because that is very memory inefficient. It costs one float (4 Bytes) per polygon.

I will add phong breaks which only cost 1bit per edge and which allows exactly the same results.:smile:

Bye,
Martin

Free form cage (lattice) deformations

I have picked up the above term and I wanted to know if anything similiar already exists in C3D?

I'm the only programmer.
Sorry for going way off topic with this, but: How do you do it?!:eek: I can't possibly imagine a single person can make this!!!! It's crazy!

You must be an expert math professor or have some kind of master degree in all sorts of things related to math as well as hell of programming experience/knowledge!

One thing I'd like to know, how old are you and when did you start programming?? What made you want to develop Cheetah and such an extremely complex thing at all??!!? :eek:

I don't believe in Superman but I might in Supermartin! :p :icon_thumbup:

By the way, I wont vote here because I am a huge noob and don't know what half the stuff means so... :tongue:

Back