Sponza model

Hi all,

I Tasted the same model with V.2.5, i used a HDRI image as a light source, i got a dark image, it looks like the light doesn't bounce eaven with diffuse scatterings set to 6!. I also didn't notice any difference between Radiosity and the AO.
It's my first test with Cheetah, so maybe did i miss some thing.

The HDRI tag NEEDS to point to an .hdr file on your computer that will act as a light. No other lights are necessary but they will give a directional shadow to the scene.

Thanks for responding.
Jake, I don't have any problem to get the scene illuminated with the HDRI image, i got a similar image as yours. What i noticed is a lack of reflected lights.
Frank, in Cinema 4D it is possible to apply a HDRI tag to a sky object to illuminate a scene, if this is not possible in Cheetah, how can one simulate atmospheric lights
with interior scenes?

Regards
Shaker

Hi shaker,
you don't have to assign the HDRI to a sphere in Cheetah3D. The HDRI automatically illuminates the scene. The problem is that the light which illuminates the scene comes only from a very small solid angle into the building. Therefore the scene is quite dark by default if you illuminate it just by a HDRI.
You can make the scene brighter if you increase the "intensity" property of the Radiosity Tag.

By,
Martin

Shaker -> Did you also add a directional light for simulating a sun? You can get more light in this narrow building. You can add an point light with low intensity within the atrium aswell.

Regards,
Peter

Hi all,

I am sorry i didn't specify my question in the other postings. I am evaluating Cheetah 3D and I only want to know if it's possible to illuminate an interior with only a HDRI image?
I know it's possible to "cheat" adding some light sources to get a brighter result, but the testes i made show a problem regarding HDRI images with radiosity. Is it a bug, a limitation of Cheetah, or did i miss some thing?

http://img286.imageshack.us/img286/8194/sponsatest0nn.png

The image shows intense direct lights but no indirect (reflected) ones!
HDRI tag: power= 5.000
Radiosity tag: radiosity, intensity= 5.000

Regardes
Shaker

Sponza Model

Hi all,
thought I give it a try. I have not applyed all the textures yet, but I was more interested in trying to light the model and this is my results so far.

Attachments

• sponza10_softshadows_521.jpg
    sponza10_softshadows_521.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • sponza6_softshadows_127.jpg
    sponza6_softshadows_127.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,161
Hi,
shaker said:
I am sorry i didn't specify my question in the other postings. I am evaluating Cheetah 3D and I only want to know if it's possible to illuminate an interior with only a HDRI image?

Yes, it is possible.

shaker said:
I know it's possible to "cheat" adding some light sources to get a brighter result, but the testes i made show a problem regarding HDRI images with radiosity. Is it a bug, a limitation of Cheetah, or did i miss some thing?

I'm actually wondering what is going wrong in your rendering. As you can see on the other rendeings in that thread diffuse bounces work quite well.

Have you set the "type" property of the radiosity tag to "Radiosity"?

The main problem which might arise is that Cheetah3D doesn't do local tone mapping yet. Once I've added tone mapping, the dark areas should appear brighter.

by,
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for responding.
In the test i set the radiosity type with intensity 5.000 and diffuse scattering 6.
The diffuse bounces work correctly with all other light sources. I made the test with only the HDRI lighting to be sure that the diffuse lights are not coming from other light sources.

Regardes
Shaker

get yer Sponazas out...

... and have some fun in 4.2...

I know it's been done 1000,s of times, but it's still a lot of fun to light

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• sponza.jpg
    sponza.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 677
Thought I'd give it a try too - sky light and radiosity. I love sky light :)

Attachments

• render1.jpg
    render1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 660
... and have some fun in 4.2...

I know it's been done 1000,s of times, but it's still a lot of fun to light

Luke,
Good idea to bring this back. This model is becoming better and better with every Cheetah3D new release ! Nice work !

Thought I'd give it a try too - sky light and radiosity. I love sky light :)
Yeap ! Very nice try ! You love sky lights ? Great ! You are not the only one as I think that people are now starting to realize how much work Martin has been putting behind this to get to this kind of quality. Keep up your nice work.

Update

Oops, the colors were too pale.
Here's a better one, a detail from the original resolution render.
(The eventual upscaling of the browser for retina resolution doesn't help.)

I'm doing this to test the new adaptive sampling feature with difficult indirect lighting.
Falcon needs four hours on my Mac to get to 1000 samples, then starts speeding up and finishes at 2202 after 4:40.

image.jpg

Back