Invisible plane shadow question.

Invisible plane shadow question.

Is it possible to have an object on a transparent(ground) plane and have the object cast a shadow onto the transparent(ground) plane without seeing the plane only the shadow of the object?
Use: I will have another plane with a background picture.I want the ground plane to cast the shadow of the object.(but not see the ground plane just the shadow.) I've tried diffrent ways but no success.
Thanks hope my question is clear.

Last edited:
That would be a nice feature, but it's not possible I think (yet?). I saw an example from fused? that had a very transparent (95%) plane. You could see the background as well as a faint shadow. It would be nice to have a shadowcatching material for it would be quit easy to implement architectural renderings in a photo.

Regards,

Peter

Hi Uncle808US.

If you´re after a so called "shadow map"; that isn´t possible yet. If you are looking for kind of fake, have a look into the attached file from beginning of the year. Please throw in the "oldtown_pano_small.hdr" which comes with Cheetah3d. Then give a slap at our beloved cow.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• HDRI+Shadow.jpg
    HDRI+Shadow.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 518
  • PlaneShadowFake.jas.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 385
Thanks

Hi Uncle808US.

If you´re after a so called "shadow map"; that isn´t possible yet. If you are looking for kind of fake, have a look into the attached file from beginning of the year. Please throw in the "oldtown_pano_small.hdr" which comes with Cheetah3d. Then give a slap at our beloved cow.

With kindest regards
Frank

Thank you Frank and Peter, I'll give it a shot with both suggestions.

Is it possible to have an object on a transparent(ground) plane and have the object cast a shadow onto the transparent(ground) plane without seeing the plane only the shadow of the object?
Use: I will have another plane with a background picture.I want the ground plane to cast the shadow of the object.(but not see the ground plane just the shadow.) I've tried diffrent ways but no success.
Thanks hope my question is clear.

You already have the answer in the previous posts. Have a look here http://cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=835&page=2 since this is what I already did some time ago : a 95% transparent plane as a ground

Ah François! I'm so sorry, I meant you and not Fused in my previous post!! :oops: :oops:

Regards,

Peter

Back