Stupid Newbie Question

Stupid Newbie Question

Am working with some files I purchased from Xfrog. The objects open fine into Cheetah, but not the materials/textures. Those are all in the same folder, as tiff's, but I can find no way to import them, and there is no apparent way to define the path to them (as recommended in the XFrog help). So. What do I do?

Frank,

Yep. 3ds. And remember that I'm and "old guy" of nearly 60 years. I'm finding that my brain circuitry just isn't up to par with the younger breeds these days. Don't get old.

Hi.
First; we´re not that apart than you might think - trust me.
So my first guess to 3ds-format is, that it´s highly recommended to place your 3ds-file and your materials/textures in the same folder. So better, if possible try obj., because that format should split file and texture during export. So good luck and if you get stucked ask again and don´t think it has anything to do with age;-)

With kindest regards
Frank

Well, I just feel so stupid, I guess. The .obj file and the material .tif files are all in the same folder, but the materials don't load automatically (as I thought they would) and there are over a dozen of them. I've tried adding them by creating a new material and then loading the .tif, again with unexpected results. I gave up after three tries to do it that way. I feel like someone who's been given a recipe for a cake but was not told how many it would feed, how to use the ingredients, (some of which were left out, of course), and that it must be baked in a square pan made of cast iron or disaster will strike the entire family.

But thanks for your attempt. I think I'm way too uninformed to do this. It surprises me, because I've used other files from XFrog, and just opening the object brought everything in, and I could go on my merry way making art. Hint: artsts and programmers do not think alike. :) If you care to look, you can see what I'm doing at http://www.leev2.com.

It should be that simple.....

Well, I just feel so stupid, I guess. The .obj file and the material .tif files are all in the same folder, but the materials don't load automatically (as I thought they would)

You don´t have to. Are you just do an "opening" of the file or an "importing"?

But thanks for your attempt. I think I'm way too uninformed to do this. It surprises me, because I've used other files from XFrog, and just opening the object brought everything in, and I could go on my merry way making art. Hint: artsts and programmers do not think alike. :) If you care to look, you can see what I'm doing at http://www.leev2.com.

As an professional artist that I am, I would totally agree, but I´m not finished yet with your stuff. It should be simple as opening a door.
So I will get into this, but not today.

With kindest regards
Frank

I had just been doubleclicking the .obj file, which is mapped to open Cheetah. So I opened a new, blank document and Imported the .obj. Same thing. I now suspect that this is really a problem with how XFrog put together their package, since I've not had this problem before. When I get a chance, I'll try contacting their support, since I purchased their entire USA Southwest DVD version 2 collection which in other respects is quite good.

Thanks again.

No green thumb at all.

Hi again,

So I had a go with a sample of a downloaded xfrog-plant for non-commercial use.

For some reason it won´t load the textures. I created the three materials manually (set specular to black; 0,0,0 and don´t forget to activate the alpha-channel for the .png; so you won´t see the rest of the leaves`mesh) and throw them in, where I thought they might belong to and what could I say; Not too bad.

Than I tried the same plant with another downloaded format:. 3ds. Made a doubleclick and voilá: surprise, surprise. There it was, with all textures assigned, specular off, alpha on upright standing.

Very strange.

So that´s my state of view now. I hope the guys from Greenworks can help you out, so that your investment won´t be lost.
BTW: it won´t work in Bryce nor in Cinema4d as we´ll expect it.

With kindest regards

Frank

Attachments

• XfrogPlantsCheetah3d.jpg
    XfrogPlantsCheetah3d.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 344
Hi,
Cheetah3D doesn't import texture information from .obj file or better the .mlt files which come with obj files and which contain the material informations.

Cheetah3D should import .3ds files with textures quite well. As long as the textures are in the same folder or in a sub folder of the .3ds parent folder.

Bye,
Martin

Back