Quick Rendering for an animation ?

Quick Rendering for an animation ?

Hi, I'd like some advice from you experts.

I'm working on animations that take long time to render. I do several "work rendering", some to check the lightning, transparencies with the move, others only to check the actual objects moves. I'd be interested in rendering animations :
- at a rate of on picture over n (only to check the lights...)
- with wire-frame/low resolution (only to check the moves)

I have not seen those features yet in C3D for animations. Any idea about how to speed up animation rendering ?(without changing hardware :-I ).

Maybe some script gurus could explain how to do 1/n frame rendering ?

(for "quick" rendering where I'm interested only in the move, I already turn off hdr, oversampling, shadows in the cam setting.)

Thanks

p*

Pierre said:
- at a rate of on picture over n (only to check the lights...)
Menu / Animation / Frames per second

Pierre said:
- with wire-frame/low resolution (only to check the moves)
Go into wireframe mode and start the animation. No need to render if this is only to check the moves.

Francois said:
Menu / Animation / Frames per second

Of course ! Thanks. I though the rate was fixed once you started implementing key-frames. This does exactly what I was looking for.:p

Francois said:
Go into wireframe mode and start the animation. No need to render if this is only to check the moves.

Unfortunately my mac is not fast enough to allow this :( (the rate is nothing close to 30fps - and I can't afford buying a new one yet). That is why I would have liked to render the scene : to have the real fps, but to use wire-frame to speed up rendering.

Thanks

Hi,
if you can the fps to 5 for example also the OpenGL preview will be just shown with 5 fps which should help you to preview the animation in realtime, even although not with all frames per second.

Drawing the F-Curve editor or the Timeline can cost some serious CPU time. So hiding these views will accelerate the preview. For example you can collaps the F-Curve editor by double clicking on it's toolbar.

Bye,
Martin

I know you're really busy, Martin, but what about being able to dump the OpenGL output into a movie file? (I mean dumping all frames, so it probably won't be in realtime, but would work as a fast preview with accurate motion but unaccurate shading) Do you think that feature would be interesting?

Last edited:
Hi,
sure it would be possible but I don't have the time at the moment. Sorry. That would delay other features which are also highly expected.

Bye,
Martin

Back