Blurred transparency

Blurred transparency

Hi Martin, I know that you are very busy with character animation and bones, etc. But I was wondering if you could spare a little time to implement blurred transparency (frosted glass, etc.) ? :shock: It would also be nice if the array modifier works on lights! Those are my wishes for a future release :p Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!!

Regards,

Peter

Peter - have you tried changing the 'angle' parameter in the Reflection properties for the material? This gives a kind of blurred effect, but maybe more like brushed metal than frosted mirror...

Examples are attached.

Attachments

• blurred_reflection_angle0.jpg
    blurred_reflection_angle0.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 395
  • blurred_reflection_angle2.jpg
    blurred_reflection_angle2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 390
  • blurred_reflection_angle20.jpg
    blurred_reflection_angle20.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 360
peer said:
Hi Martin, I know that you are very busy with character animation and bones, etc. But I was wondering if you could spare a little time to implement blurred transparency (frosted glass, etc.) ? :shock: It would also be nice if the array modifier works on lights! Those are my wishes for a future release :p Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!!

Hi Peter,
the modifiers only work on raw polygon data. For creating light arrays etc. I have to implement a particle system which can instantiate complete objets and not just polygonal data. Sorry but you have to wait for the particle system. It's technically not possible with modifiers yet.

Frosted glass is a little bit trickier than blurry reflections. So also this feature has to wait a little bit.

I'm currently trying to put all my power in the animation stuff. So that I will have at least something usable in the near future. And it always helps if I can focus on one feature. Having 5 open working spots is not very nice since the progress in each feature is so much slower.

Bye,
Martin

Thanks for the response Martin, I'll be patient :)

ROI, thanks for the idea, but that's not really what I need, thanks anyway :)

Regards,

Peter

fused said:
What about applying a light grey noise texture to the transparency channel?

Applying a noise texture as a bump map might also work. Even although it will never reach the degree of fineness which is possible with true blurred refraction's.

Bye,
Martin

I tried the fine grey noise bump maps, but they're just not it. The blur is too coarse. Well never mind for now. I'll use Photoshop instead.

Regards,

Peter

Back