New to 3D/Cheetah need DNA helix - fast

New to 3D/Cheetah need DNA helix - fast

Hello Cheetahians. I'm in a bit of trouble with a logo project. My client wants a fancy 3D dna helix and I've never done any 3D designs. What I need is theoretically simple: a helix formed by an oval shape (cross-section). Like if you circled tape/band around a cylindrical object. But it's not totally flat, the is sligtly oval. Then I need to copy it to make a double helix, find a nice angle - and turn it into a 2D logo that gives a 3D impression. I simply don't have the time to learn this the hard way. Do I start from Illustrator (that I DO know), importing an oval shape, change that to a straight 3D object and somehow get it to become a helix? Oh dear... Any help wildly welcome!

Johan

Last edited:
oh, ok, trying things helps. The logic of this program still escapes me, but I now have a helix of an oval shape... and it wasn't hard at all. I'll get back whe I'm ready.

hmm. doesn't quite work. the "oval" rotates round the axle, which is the helix path. I need it to stay vertical all the way, like it is at the point with the arrow. That would take some sort of "strech" to be computed. Any chance?
Cheetah3D001.jpg

Hello.

it is fake oval, but easy way to make such a shape.

1. use Extrude Creator with Helix. set Y-direction value to oval height.
2. 'make Editable' this Extrude object. select all polygon at polygon mode, use Shell tool, add thickness with setting distance to oval width (you can see distance value on 'Status: ' view at left down side of main window).
3. add smoothness with Subdiv Modifier.

reagards.

Hiroto, tg_jp

Attachments

• Cheetah3DScreenSnapz001.jpg
    Cheetah3DScreenSnapz001.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 738
Thanks a million! Community, what a great invention :).
Hiroto, that is exactly what I was looking for - I'm only after the two helixes, no "spokes" for this job. I'll get back with the results in a few days.

Well, I presented my work to the client on tuesday and it was accepted as is. Thanks Martin, a killer app! It sure paid itself back in a hurry :D.

bmg_esit2.jpg

I do have a problem (?) though. I thought I'd make an animation with the helixes rotating, but when switchiing to animation view I only get the timeline to show, no buttons to operate with. What did I miss?

Martin said:
Hi,
very nice logo. I especially like the lightning. Great. :D
Thanks. Figuring out the lightung is by far the hardest part. The idea of using an "inner" light came quite late. Supporting that I used two low intensity point sources on both sides of the camera and an ambient source quite close to the left side of the helixes.

Well, just though I'd slip this in. This is the final 90 frame gif animation for the website. Wish I had more time to explore and create with cheetah...

Attachments

• bmganim.gif
    bmganim.gif
    69.8 KB · Views: 379
Back