Polygons

Polygons

Hi,
I am working on modeling a man.When I saved the project it had around 3600 polygons. Then I quit Cheetah. In an hour I opened the project and it had 40000 polygons! At least thats what the project info button said. With that many polygons, it makes it almost imposible to work on.

Eureka

Hi.
Sounds strange to me; exccept you made a doubleclick on your "man" and converted it to a polymesh. Did you save as jas-file?
Can we have a look at your objectbrowser?
With kindest regards
Frank

Hi Frank,
I need to work more on his shirt:neutral:

Thanks
Eureka

Picture 3.png

This is a good start for modelling a character. Did you find out why your mesh increased in poly count? I think a useful future tool could be simplify geometry. Are you going to start again or just modify the model you have?

Andrew

Hi,
I will finish this model than start on another one. Any help on how to make him look more reailistic would be welcome. I got the idea from your band

Thanks
Greg

Last edited:
Eureka! said:
Is the simplify geometry tool a way to get rid of polygones?
Some 3D apps have ways to reduce polygon counts be simplifying a shape, thous reducing its poly count.
Any help on how to make him look more reailistic would be welcome.
What does you reference image look like? Are you close or does your model need tweaking. I always like to try and reverse engineer something to figure out how it's done but that's just me.

Andrew:)

oh my god!

Hi Eureka.
That´s not a start -that´s the end of modelling. Why do you converted it to such a thrilling mesh with triangles? This is absolut not necessary. You can´t go on editing very well, I think.
I thought you were using a poly-by-poly-method or something with the catmull-modifier.
Sorry to say, I would make a new start.
Need advice?
With kindest regards
Frank

Hi
fused said:
What does you reference image look like?
By reference image do you mean somthing that Im modeling off of?
I'm modleing this from my imagination. I don't have a reference image.

Thanks

Eureka

BWT I don't know what some of your terms mean, I'm 13:) .

Hi,
You're right I'll start again. Yes advice would be helpful.
I'll post an image of my 2nd model when I'm done with it.

Thanks
Greg

Last edited:
Ok, get a picture of a figure you like and have another go. Unless you never change your mind modelling from inside your head seldom works. Pick a picture you think is within your skills and give it a try. I've posted a tutorial on my site that should send you in the right direction.

You can´t go on editing very well, I think.
Why not? I agree the mesh is dense in some areas (there's lots of triangles) but it's not impossible. Maybe this model is something to return to later?

Andrew

Last edited:
Hi Eureka.
Have a look at:
http://cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=534
Please.
The dog is simple modelled and I put just the subdivision-modifier in. Please don´t make a doubleclick at your piece of work in the objectbrowser, otherwise you turned it in a say finished mesh. So you can simply add what you want and don´t carry tons of polys with you.
BTW. Your mesh looks like a reimport. Cheetah will generate no triangled meshs normally.
With kindest regards
Frank

Hi,
Thanks for the help, I'll check out you site right now.
How can you model from a 2d image (like a picture). Wouldn't you need a physical model to get all the angles right?

Thanks.
Greg

Eureka! said:
Hi,
Thanks for the help, I'll check out you site right now.
How can you model from a 2d image (like a picture). Wouldn't you need a physical model to get all the angles right?

Thanks.
Greg
I think Frank is right try the tutorial he has suggested it is a good example and will help you model more complex characters.

Andrew

Hi,
That's actually how I modeled my guy, I added the subdivision modifier when I was through with it. Then I saved it and quit and then the polygons showed up.

Thanks.
Greg

Hi Eureka.
Sorry again- but: Did you save as jas-file or export your modell? Saving as jas without doubleclicking your modell in the objectbrowser won´t end in such a mesh.
With kindest regards
Frank

Hi,
I saved my model as a .3ds file.I normaly save it as a .jas file.
Is there any way to assign hot keys?

Thanks
Greg

Hi Eureka!
As I thought. Normally.
Ok, next time jas again!

To hotkeys: yes, look at preferences in Cheetah-menu.

With kindest regards
Frank

Back