problem assigning materials

problem assigning materials

hi--
I am new to this forum, and new to cheetah, but not new to 3d.
Have been trying to develop a workflow to export architectural models out of sketchup and render them in cheetah.
Have followed suggestions in this forum to explode all and regroup sketchup model according to color/material before export. Via fbx, this technique does seem to leave me with a nicely grouped and shaded set of objects in cheetah.

My problem is that i am not apparently able to change the materials once they are in c3d. For example, I would like to be able to go in on a material that i might have coded in pink for export in sketchup and edit it to become bric, using nice color, specular, and bump maps....i tried to do this, but the "edited" color asssigments do not seem to render. I know the material updates though because i can assign it to a newly created object and it renders fine. Maybe my normals are reversed? Or something else?
(not sure how to flip normals in c3d)

Also, another small question....is it possible to "center pivot" within a group as it is in maya or other programs?

thks

adam

Hi Adam,
and welcome to the forum.

Normally the material should update. But for example if you change the material form a pink solid color to a brick texture you must also make sure that the object has UV coordiantes. Without UV coordiantes the texture map won't be assigned correctly. If there are no UV coords Cheetah3D assumes all UV coords to be (0,0). So the object will have the color of the texture at the upper left corner.

You can flip normals in Cheetah3D with the "Tools->Polygon->Filp Normal" tool.

Bye,
Martin

thks

thks Martin
i am really getting to like this program by the way....fills a nice gap in my workflow...i write alot of melscript and eventually will get around to teaching myself javascript so that i can start to develop some tools for cheetah
i am amazed that you are doing all of this by yourself...hat's off to you for creating such a great product
best
adam

Back