UV Mapping/Texturing problem

UV Mapping/Texturing problem

Hi!

After a long pause from working with Cheetah (real life sucks sometimes :) ) I am trying to learn something about UV mapping. When I create a UV map and save this map as .pdf, how can I set the resolution of my texture? How can I load my texture map after I used an external application?
Can I have an bump map created from my UV map?

What happens if I load new textures to my materials? I think I have a problem understanding where the difference between materials with textures and an UV map is.
Can someone help me out?

regards,
Alex

Hi,

Alexco said:
When I create a UV map and save this map as .pdf, how can I set the resolution of my texture?

You probably mean UV coords. The UV coords just tell which point of the texture will be pinned to which vertex of the object. Therefore the UV coords are resolution independent. The texture can have any resolution you want.

Alexco said:
How can I load my texture map after I used an external application?
Can I have an bump map created from my UV map?

Once you've painted your texture. Create a Material and load the textures either as a the color textrue or as a bump map.

Alexco said:
What happens if I load new textures to my materials?
The texture will be replaced. But that has no influence on the UV coords. Since the UV coords belong to the geometry.

Alexco said:
I think I have a problem understanding where the difference between materials with textures and an UV map is.

A texture is an image. The UV mapping the the process to assign every point of the 3D mesh a position on the texture.

I hope that was not even more confusing.

Bye,
Martin

So. Next Experiment :)

I created a cube. When I add a material to this cube I can move with the help ov the UV mapper different parts of my texture on the surfaces. If I have no texture, I can create one within Cheetah. So far I think I understood this procedure.

But if I add two materials (e.g. metal and glas) because I want different material properties, I still have all surfaces in my UV map, but they sometimes have to overlap because they represent different parts in different textures. Is this correct?

Is this "the best way" (tm) of doing this? Or should I add the same texture to all materials in my object?

thanks,
Alex

Hi,
the UV coords are assigned to the geometry. So you can use different materials and textures but you will always use the same UV coords.

It depends on what you want to do if it is better if the UV coords are overlapping or not. If you just want to assign a brick texture to a building it is generaly no problem if the UV coords overlap. If you want to texture map a face of a charcter the UV coords shouldn't overlap.

Bye,
Martin

Is multitexturing possible in Cheetah 3.3 ?

Hi,

Is there anybody to help me to create multitexturing in Cheetah ?
Is it possible ???
I post a pic for example (it's a texturing tutorial for Max)...

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• tex_04.jpg
    tex_04.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Back