Remote Control - Modelling Problems

Remote Control - Modelling Problems

Hi everyone

This is my first proper attempt at trying to model something very close to my heart - my Sky remote!

I'm having a few issues though - can anyone help?

1. To do the recess for the buttons, should you model a hole into the main casing, and if so, what's the best way to model the hole in? do you subdivide a polygon and scalpel a shape in, which looks rough and then you have to apply a Sub Div, which you might not want to do......

2. The black keypad looks unconvincing and would have a recessed line around the edges and there is the buttons issue again!. There are also seems around the casing which I've yet to put in. I've attached a pic of the real remote and you can see I've not got the shape quite right anyway. I've highlighted the areas I'm not sure how to model on the remote picture.

I've attached my cheetah file if anyone want to see how I've built it - I don't think I've modeled it the best way to be honest - so any advice is welcome.

I've spent a lot of time on here looking for solutions and watching tutorials online trying to get the answers I need (Its very easy though to get distracted by some of the amazing work on here).

cheers guys.

Attachments

• remote 3.zip
    61.5 KB · Views: 303
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 387
  • centre pad.jpg
    centre pad.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 372
  • remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 384
  • sky.jpg
    sky.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 384
Hi.
I´d stay separated with the materials and geometry as well - starting with the knobs platform - then the outer rim and model the in-between.

File attached.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• remote 4U.jas.zip
    63.8 KB · Views: 317
  • RemoteControl.jpg
    RemoteControl.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 368
Thanks Frank

Really speedy response!

Looked at the file you sent back & it really helped to see how you 'cut' it up.

You say to keep the sides, top & bottom all separate and just visually line it all up - not to connect it all?

I did originally model the black key pad part separately and then just drop it over the top platform, but because smaller circle of the two is lower, the top casing was showing through - you would create a hole in the casing for it to 'drop' into then?

Apologies on these simple questions, but I spent several hours getting it to this point and want to be sure I'm going about this the best way.

Will probably start a fresh build....

regards

Ok,

I got 3 discs, made editable, matched the position of the plane and imported children, then did an extrude to get the screen shot below - is that what you did? took me half hour though ;)

I then tried to get the recess back around the button by using extrude/bevel/cover - you name it, clearly don't know what tool to use! Unless it's a scalpel job again?

cheers Dave

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-18 at 22.04.28.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-18 at 22.04.28.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 354
No - I started with the surface. As I said first I placed 6-sided discs wherever a knob has to appear - then with the polygon tool add close the gaps and stay "quad-wise". You can extrude the recess - copy and paste the 6-sided disc now at the bottom - lift them up and use shell to give them depth. That´s the short version.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank

So sorry for the late reply!

I haven't given up with the remote - I just took a step back from it because I was getting really frustrated not 'getting it'

I kept re-reading your steps and looking around for similar situations. I think I got very close to your instructions - but I either missed a step or I'm not connecting all the dots.....

I considered posting a quick vid or screen shots to show you what I was doing (the wrong way no doubt) but I don't expect anyone to 'hand hold' me through a project every time.

Any further help you can give would be much appreciated.

Regards
Dave

Erin
I have seen that post, as the remote does have a seam, so will be tackling that one shortly - thanks for the heads up though.;)

I received the image from yesterday so here is my quick-start on this one.
I now there´re some knobs missing - but I was a bit under shortage of time.
Download the anim-gif and open it with preview.app and go through each frame.
RemoteControl.gif
RemoteControl.jpg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Remote control

Frank

This looks ace! I may be gone a little time while I work through your steps. Rather than badger you now, I'll come back to you if i hit any snags if that's ok?

thanks ever so...
Dave

Back