Extruded Text Maker.js

Extruded Text Maker.js

Hello

it's a Tool script by user's request, to make extuded text spline object automatically.

to use, place it into ~/Library/Application Support/Cheetah3D/scripts/Tool folder.

you can modify font name list at line 15 in script. you have to use Post script name as you can check it wth Font Book.app.

please try it.

fixed spacing bug: please update attached file.
fixed crush bug: please update attached file again.
fixed relative spacing bug: please update attached file again.
random option added: please update attached file again.

20110524b: fixed crush bug with wrong adding parameter (again).

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Attachments

• Extruded Text Maker.js.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:
tg-San, this is awesome and very smart parameter design. This script will really help a lot. Thank you!

I hesitate to ask as it is just a minor issue and not fault of the script: The position shift is static while letters have individual widths ("kerning"). I don't know whether it could be a solution to convert the letter objects into polygon objects and then define the overlap of the letters?! Just a thought....

Thanks again for your time.

Attachments

• thankyou.png
    thankyou.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,316
  • settings.png
    settings.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,326
Last edited:
hello

I've just found a spacing bug, and have fixed it. and I add a new option 'relative spacing' due to your suggestion. For overlaps of objects, check this option and set negative value for spacing x/y/z . Thanks for comments. :)

I update
regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Great ideas included in a great script. :icon_thumbup:
Unfortunately it crashes under Leopard for me.
I attached the crash report. If there´s no easy fix leave it as it is - please.
Thank you!

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• crashReport.rtf.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 581
Hi, Frank.

thank you for reporting. I updated it, so please check it.

I didn't check it with Leopard, but I think option counts of font name selector may cause this crush problem, so I reduced font name option counts. your crsh report file helped a lot. thanks.

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

your crsh report file helped a lot. thanks.
So then you can have another one: :mrgreen: It still crashes - could be my Mac - so no worries. Thanks for all your effort. :icon_thumbup:
Please leave it as it works under SnowLeopard.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• crashReport2.rtf.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 576
So then you can have another one: :mrgreen: It still crashes - could be my Mac - so no worries. Thanks for all your effort. :icon_thumbup:
Please leave it as it works under SnowLeopard.

Cheers
Frank

are you sure it isn't mother Apple that wants you to upgrade and join the AppStore... :rolleyes: :tongue:

cheers,
A

Thank you. It is much better now.

Just one last thing. What would you think about making the overlap proportional to the width of the respective letter.

At the moment, the overlap for the narrow letter "I" is too much while it is only a little overlap for the broad letter "M".

Example:

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,280
Hi

thank you for testing. that's a bug. now I am fixing it. so I will update it as soon as possible. :(

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

hi all

I have just fixed relative spacing bug. and adding relative spacing axis option.
so, please update it again.

> bartelsmedia

the latest version, it will work as you expected. if you have some problem, please let me know it.

> Frank

I checked it with 5.6 on Leopard. but it didn't recreate that bug, it work properly. which version of Cheetah3D you are using on Leopard?

> A

hi. ok. I will add. :)

regards.

tg_jp

rel spacing works much better now, a big thank you for that!

I only don't understand "rel spacing axis". Why does it shift letters on the y-axis if I set y-spacing to 0? How can it shift if the multiplier is zero?

--

What do you think about the idea to shift relatively to the width of a letter? Would it not solve the problem with lean letters like "I"?

Anyway, I can also tweak the kerning manually. The script is an amazing help already as it is. Thank you very much!

--

P.S.: What would be the benefit of a random shift?? I have to admit that I have no idea for what it could be useful?! ;-)

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 491
  • test_para.png
    test_para.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:
hi,

rel spacing works much better now, a big thank you for that!

I only don't understand "rel spacing axis". Why does it shift letters on the y-axis if I set y-spacing to 0? How can it shift if the multiplier is zero?

thank you for testing. 'rel spacing axis' is defining certain axis that each character should be shifted at. script calculates position of each character by this parameter with its size( with/height/depth ) and spacing x/y/z parameters separately.

I think in your case, you just set 'x' for rel spacing axis and negative spacing_x value for overlap.

What do you think about the idea to shift relatively to the width of a letter? Would it not solve the problem with lean letters like "I"?

Anyway, I can also tweak the kerning manually. The script is an amazing help already as it is. Thank you very much!

--

P.S.: What would be the benefit of a random shift?? I have to admit that I have no idea for what it could be useful?! ;-)

yes, I think it's solved that letter 'I' spacing problem with latest verison. no? random stuff is just option. it may not need it in your case though.

regards.

tg_jp, Hiroto.

Attachments

• Cheetah3D_sz_002.jpg
    Cheetah3D_sz_002.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification.

I believe the proportional spacing would have a merit if the rel x-spacing is about -0.2 but as said, it is not that necessary. Thank you for all your help!

Last edited:
Is it possible that you forgot to upload the latest script version?

In your screenshot there are the random variation parameters but I can't find them in the downloadable version.

> Frank
I checked it with 5.6 on Leopard. but it didn't recreate that bug, it work properly. which version of Cheetah3D you are using on Leopard?
Latest build each Cheetah and Leopard. It still crashes so it has to be my machine - don´t know the reason but I won´t investigate any further as I give up trying to understand my crap Mac. Thanks for all.:icon_thumbup:

Bye
Frank

Sorry to say that this script (latest version) has been crashing upon selecting it from the script menu. I'm using C3D 5.7, MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 32bit, OSX 10.6.6. :(

Back