beginner help: wrapping a label around a pen

beginner help: wrapping a label around a pen

total klutzy beginner here.
Trying to make models of marking pens and wrap different labels around them.
It's important that I don't distort the label artwork. I managed to make one work very well, when it was on a white plastic pen with a chrome looking tip part.
But now, I am having trouble putting a "paper" label on a shiny chrome pen.
Any kind-hearted Cheetah master willing to give me some help?
This particular pen has a white plastic part in the front, and a shiny metal barrel, and the label only covers a portion of the shiny barrel, and the barrel has a unique shape at the back end... so i needed to make it by lathing a spline. Also, I made the white plastic part by lathing a spline.

Hi jb. ;)
Make your spline/lathe object editable - generate some material and add the label image (which has some decent aspect ratio) to the diffuse channel. Select the polygons where the labe should appear and drag it to it.
Adjust the amount of reflection at the material properties which is "zero=black" by default.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• Labeling.jpeg
    Labeling.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,108
Hi jb. ;)
Select the polygons where the labe should appear and drag it to it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!
You make it sound very simple.
I run into trouble when trying to select the polygons on which the label must appear. And when I have succeeded in selecting the polygons, the material doesn't cooperate. I'll try to attach some samples.
First, I'll show you my successful attempt at making a pen.
I had all kinds of trouble making it look right until I added a strip of white on the top and bottom of the label material and then applied it to the whole portion of the pen -- which in reality is white.

But now, I guess I'll have to put the label on an alpha channel that is the proper dimension to have the label float so that some shiny barrel will show on either end of the label. But also, there is a white plastic part. But I got that to work just by selecting polygons from the lathe. However, when I do that, if you notice the render, i need to smooth the white part.

Attachments

• AP2.jpg
    AP2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 1,082
  • tech support.png
    tech support.png
    301.5 KB · Views: 1,087
Have you any modifier attached to your model?
It is easy as I say didn´t mean to discourage you in any case.
Make sure you have an editable mesh. (a screenshot of your mesh could help)
Ring select the polygons where the label should appear and drag the label material onto it.
Np alpha or any complicated things involved here for a paper label.

If you have any further trouble send the files over and I look into it.

Cheers
Frank

Yikes!
I'm so sorry i posted those giant images!
I didn't realize they were so huge!
i want to edit the post to make them smaller, but i don't see how to do that.

Frank, thank you so much for helping. I need to digest your last post and would like some advice on the files. I am having trouble dividing the barrel into polygons as i want them to be.

Yikes!
I'm so sorry i posted those giant images!
I didn't realize they were so huge!
i want to edit the post to make them smaller, but i don't see how to do that.

Frank, thank you so much for helping. I need to digest your last post and would like some advice on the files. I am having trouble dividing the barrel into polygons as i want them to be.

Put file and label in a folder, compress it and send it to the email adress in my profile - if you´re in the need. ;)

Cheers
Frank

Back