Just a quick question

Just a quick question

:rolleyes: Hi Martin, I was wondering if there where plans in the pipeline to enable Cheetah users to save in other formats which will bring it into industry standards?? the companies I'm working with can not open the files I send as they are in the wrong format. I can send .stl but all the materials get lost in the transfer and everything is grey colour. :frown: I think Cheetah is a fantastic, easy to use (for beginners like me) program and it would be a shame to limit its capabilities.

Thanks

Paul

Which file formats are you talking about? Can you be more specific of what your clients need? Thanks.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Frank, my colleague needs CAD based data in an IGES,
STEP, Parasolid or native format to be able to develop the vehicle properly. I sent an .stl file for him to create a mesh for CFD analyses but this is proving to be unreliable.

File Formats

File exports to IGES & STEP would be awesome. I am always importing .stl files from SolidWorks and doing the artistic work in C3D but don't have a good return path when I improve a design outside of SW. It would be great to provide files back to SW, SolidEdge, et al from C3D.

Hi,
I'm sorry to day that but CAD file loader for IGES & STEP are quite far away in the future. If I understand these file formats right you need a full solid modeling kernel which then tessellates the models to polygon representations. This is a very hugh undertaking and currently not on my todo list.

But I think FBX is becoming more and more common in CAD systems via plug-ins so this might be a work around.

Bye
Martin

File format

Thank you for your answer. The tessellations that you spoke of create so many polygons and consequently, huge files that it makes work difficult when you import .stl files. I have done considerable work in this area. Once, there was an assembly that contained ball bearings and their races. The resultant when I imported them into C3D contained 10's of thousands of polygons.

I would be very interested in FBX however, in the present, what approach would you suggest for importing and exporting to CAD systems specifically like SolidWorks?

Thanks

Back