Woven Basket

Woven Basket

Hi.
This is another tut on a woven basket:
Start with a parametric sphere and adjust everything to make it kind of a bowl. The iterations should look like quads at the end. I had 48 sections longitudinal and 12 parallel; Parallel from 66° to 143° for instance. Make editable and kill top&bottom polygons.
Ring select every second horizontally polygon loop and call for disconnect - which will split the mesh into stripes - so to say.
Now go in top view and either select one quarter and invert that selection or area select 3/4 and delete so that just one quarter of the mesh is left over.
Select every second vertically edge - like shown in image.
Make a "normal move"; kind of weaving effect will appear instantly.
Add two symmetry modifier to make it a whole bowl again.
Make editable.
Select all polygons and call "Shell tool" to give it an approbate thickness.
We need now a spline with 4 control points that simulates one loop of the vertical material. Goal is to align the spline as a woven span through the zigzag of the horizontal stripes up - make a flat curve to the next row and go down through the zigzag agin till you reach the bottom. You have to to this just one time.
Now add n-Edge Spline with say 9 corners and a tiny radius of approximately 0,006. Make a sweep object of this.
Add a subdivsion modifier to the basket and check the sweep creator object a last time. When it fits in add a "ring modifier" to that hierarchy, set Radius to 0,0 and items till it becomes seamlessly repeated around the basket mesh.
Add a flat cylinder as a bottom object.
Add textures to your liking. Camera lights&action.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• WovenBasketTut2.jpg
    WovenBasketTut2.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 708
Yes, a very nice idea to model a basket like this ... looks really great! :icon_thumbup:

cheers
Wolfgang

Ok. I got as far as the spline.. How did you finally get the spline to go where you wanted to. I have tried for the last hour or so and I start in all different places, and finish in different spots each time.

Suggestions to make this quicker/easier?

Ok. I got as far as the spline.. How did you finally get the spline to go where you wanted to. I have tried for the last hour or so and I start in all different places, and finish in different spots each time.

Suggestions to make this quicker/easier?
Switch your basket mesh to wireframe mode and use the orthogonal views to line up the spline.
If you feel uncomfortable with spline work try a half of a tiny torus at the top. Fill hole at the ends. Extrude the end of one strand and drag it down, extrude again&drag&rotate to align the curvature of the basket. Then do the same with the other end and add ring modifier.

Cheers
Frank

Attachments

• TorusInsteadOfSpline.jpg
    TorusInsteadOfSpline.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 403
I think I need a break.. My spline creation technique is now getting a test,

Is there an easy way to modify a spline (curvature, length etc) after it is created.?

Back