Creating a softbox effect

Creating a softbox effect

Here's my first attempt at a tutorial in Cheetah3D so go easy on me! It's a simple tutorial for creating a softbox style effect and is aimed at beginners.

The audio is probably a little quiet so I'll have a look at boosting that.

Hopefully someone somewhere might find it useful...

http://vimeo.com/16255965

nice approach Dave,
thanks for sharing!

cheers,
Alessandro

PS: have you thought about adding some kind of (blurred) black mask to your softbox planes to make them even more "soft" and real in reflections?

Last edited:
PS: have you thought about adding some kind of (blurred) black mask to your softbox planes to make them even more "soft" and real in reflections?

I have thought about it but I didn't want to jump to another app to soften the edges with a gradient as it seemed a bit messy - if anyone has a quick solution on that one I'd be happy to incorporate it!

Lookin' good Dave. As for the soft edge I'm sure someone will make an amazing shader to do the job but it you want a quick fix in C3D then just emissive->texture->image->new texture and in the UV editor use the paint tools.
Keep it up Dave, I want to see more!

Andrew

P.S.: You can increase the sections on the helix to smooth out the surface, this helps if you want to add end caps to the lathe.

Last edited:
Lookin' good Dave. As for the soft edge I'm sure someone will make an amazing shader to do the job but it you want a quick fix in C3D then just emissive->texture->image->new texture and in the UV editor use the paint tools.
Keep it up Dave, I want to see more!

Andrew

P.S.: You can increase the sections on the helix to smooth out the surface, this helps if you want to add end caps to the lathe.

Thanks Andrew, to be honest I'm not a massive fan of C3D's painting tools and almost never use them, I was also wanting to keep it quite flexible so that the emissive light could be switched easily. Hopefully someone can do something with the shaders. And yes you're totally right about increasing the sections on the helix, perhaps that was the way I should have gone but really it wasn't a modeling tutorial, so I was just aiming for the quickest method to create an object to demonstrate the reflections on. Have to say I enjoyed making the tutorial so if I can come up with some more ideas I'll definitely be producing more.

Good one Dave.
My softbox mats usually were image based till 5.0 arrived.
Here is a simple but easy to adjust softbox mat based on the dots node with some gradient for all kinds of gimmickry.
SoftboxSetup+mat.jpeg

Cheers
Frank

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, I'll have a look at that file and see if I can understand the nodes. Personally I'm a big fan of C4D's gradients which are a bit more like Illustrators

Thanks guys!

So you like the northern accent do you GardenSpider?

Well I have had some great comments on the tutorial and I can see it's been watched a few times on Vimeo so I'll definitely be making another at some point soon. I just need to decide what the subject will be now!

Back