Cheetah3D 3.2 Beta 1 (with caustics)

Cheetah3D 3.2 Beta 1 (with caustics)

Hi,
here is the first public beta of 3.2. The biggest enhancement is probably caustic rendering via photon mapping. But also the UI saw quite serious enhancements.

A list of the other new features and bug fixes can be found here.

Code:
    -Added Photon mapping
	-Caustics
	-Caustic tag
    -Added unified light source
	-All light types in one object (allows easy switching between different light sources)
	-possibility to chose between different axes
    -Added Intaglio ( www.purgatorydesign.com/Intaglio )  copy/paste support
    -Added FBX import/export to Intel version
    -Added bug reporter toolbar item
    -Added new render settings
	-reflection On/Off
	-refraction On/Off
	-textures On/Off
	-max ray depth (up to 8)
    -Enhanced Toolbar
	-popup menus
	-"small symols" works
	-"text mode" works
    -Enhanced properties editor
	-unavailable properties are disabled now (see new light object)
    -Crumple Tool now works in all modes
    -Enhanced Flip Normal tool
    -Adding a object automatically switches to object mode
    -Clicking into subview doesn't unselect objects
    -Added "Document::redrawAll()" Javascript function
    -Enhanced "Base::setParameter()" Javascript function
    -Fixed "Tool script" UI redraw bug
    -Fixed bug with 1bit tiff import
    -Fixed crashing bug in smart folders
    -HDRI and Displacement texture are correctly loaded again when opening files
    -3DS, 3DMF and H exporter now always exports UV coords
    -Removed "Knife" tools from context menu
    -Childs of camera object now redraw correctly
    -Double clicking files with fog tag won't crash
    -Many other small bug fixes

Download link:
http://cheetah3d.com/download/Cheetah3D3.2b1.dmg

But please be aware that this is beta software.

Please post all your experiences with this beta version in this forum thread.

Many thanks for your help.

By,
Martin

I don't know what I did, I guess just opening and rendering some examples. And then some icons turned upside down. :confused:

Peter

PS. It appears that the distant light doesn't create any shadow. Scene setup is a plane with a glass ball to try the caustics on.
PPS. There's also a problem with the Axis setting in the lightobject. Usually the Y axis shows the direction but for some reason you have to use the Z axis. When using Y axis the opengl preview shows the wrong direction.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
Inverted icons.

I've downloaded and played a while but my icons stay in the right place. I'll keep on testing.
PS. It appears that the distant light doesn't create any shadow. Scene setup is a plane with a glass ball to try the caustics on.
Can you make the caustics work?

Andrew

Got Caustics working

I've got the caustics working I just needed to increase the strength in ->Caustics -> Properties.
:)

Hi Peter,
thanks for your bug reports.

peer said:
I don't know what I did, I guess just opening and rendering some examples. And then some icons turned upside down. :confused:

That is very strange. I never encountered that problem and I wasn't able to reproduce it. But I think I found the code which could have possibly cause that bug and hope that I've fixed it.

peer said:

It works fine for me. Could you sent me your scene?

peer said:
PPS. There's also a problem with the Axis setting in the lightobject. Usually the Y axis shows the direction but for some reason you have to use the Z axis. When using Y axis the opengl preview shows the wrong direction.

That was a bug. I've fixed it.

By,
Martin

Hi,
I finally found the bug. But it only appeared if you use "raytrace + trans" shadows. Normal shadows worked.

I've fixed that problem.

By,
Martin

Martin said:
Hi,
I finally found the bug. But it only appeared if you use "raytrace + trans" shadows. Normal shadows worked.

I've fixed that problem.

By,
Martin

Yes I also found that. It also appears that the shadow sample is default to 1. Maybe you could set that to 32 or so. Arealight shadows look bad with 1 sample ;) Could you also explain the caustic settings a little bit more. What does the pure photonlight option in the light settings do? Also when I create a glass sphere with transparency, reflection and so on. I get white spots everywhere when turning on caustics. I know this is logic but maybe there's a workaround?

Regards,

Peter

PS. Great work by the way!!

uncle808us said:
I don't have any help files in the help folder is this due to it being a beta?

Hi,
yes that's true. I haven't updated the documentation yet. But it will be in the final 3.2.

By,
Martin

Jake said:
My icons are upside down too. Caustics work great.

Sorry. Do you have an idea how to reproduce that behaviour? Are your icons upside down from the start up? Or are they flipped during usage.

By,
Martin

peer said:
Yes I also found that. It also appears that the shadow sample is default to 1. Maybe you could set that to 32 or so. Arealight shadows look bad with 1 sample ;)

That's right but I plan to add soft shadows to point light's too. That's why there is a radius parameter in the new light object. But most users will still use their point lights with just one sample. So I've set the default to 1. Setting it to 32 would require that you always have to set the samples property back to 1 if you want to use a simple point light.

peer said:
Could you also explain the caustic settings a little bit more. What does the pure photonlight option in the light settings do?

It disables the direct lighting of a lightsource. It just shots photons. You can use that properties to more photons in areas where you need them. For example to get nice caustics when you render a big room.

peer said:
Also when I create a glass sphere with transparency, reflection and so on. I get white spots everywhere when turning on caustics. I know this is logic but maybe there's a workaround?

Please mail me the file. It's always a lot of work to remodel scenes in the hope to recreate the same bahaviour. If you encouner such problems just mail me the .jas file.

By,
Martin

Martin, I found out what the problem was. I used the standard of 10000 photons. I increased it to 1 million and it looks great now!! The reflections work as well. The flipping of the icons occur during usage. It happens when opening a couple of files, rendering and switching windows using command-`. At least here.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 359
Couldn't help posting this. A movie is rendering right now.

Regards,

Peter

Attachments

• Disco.jpg
    Disco.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 324
Martin said:
Sorry. Do you have an idea how to reproduce that behaviour? Are your icons upside down from the start up? Or are they flipped during usage.

By,
Martin

I'll try to pin it down. It's the same as Peter. It happened when my back was turned – damn sneaky icons!

Jake, YES!!! That would be cool. You have my mail address.
Here's the movie. Use loop when playing.

Regards,

Peter

PS a nice glow/sparkle plugin would be nice :)

Attachments

• Disco.mov.zip
    204.2 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Back