animation flicker problem...

animation flicker problem...

Can anyone on this forum help on this little problem.

I have just completed a small animation of a reception desk which can be seen on:

http://www.bocchinelli.com/desk.html

The desk is fine but the perspex band suffers from exessive flickering which I can seem to get rid of whatever settings I choose. I have also enclosed a screen grab of the settings for the animation.

In general what is considered to be the best settings to reduce flickering in cheetah animations ?

Any help would be greatfully received

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• grab.png
    grab.png
    169.4 KB · Views: 403
Hi,
that problem is caused by the irradiance cache. But this part of the renderer in Cheetah3D will be rewritten soon. There also exist some tricks for fly throughs to reduce that problem which I intend to implement.

Currently the only robust solution to this problem is to set the "error" property of the radisoity tag to 0.0. Which involves a quite serious increase in rendering time.

By,
Martin

Thanks

Martin said:
Hi,
that problem is caused by the irradiance cache. But this part of the renderer in Cheetah3D will be rewritten soon. There also exist some tricks for fly throughs to reduce that problem which I intend to implement.

Currently the only robust solution to this problem is to set the "error" property of the radisoity tag to 0.0. Which involves a quite serious increase in rendering time.

By,
Martin

Thanks Martin

I will experiment with your advice and post my findings here

Regards
Luke

Flickering shadows....

luke Bocchinelli said:
Thanks Martin

I will experiment with your advice and post my findings here

Regards
Luke

Martin

Was there a fix t the flicker problem ? or is that still to come

I did a test the other day and I set the samples to 10000 on the radiosity tag and I'm still getting patchy shadows as per still herewith...it's not too bad on the still but doing an animation is not on the cards with the flickering I get.

Regards

Luke

Attachments

• ka.jpg
    ka.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 354
luke Bocchinelli said:
Was there a fix t the flicker problem ? or is that still to come

Sorry not yet.

luke Bocchinelli said:
I did a test the other day and I set the samples to 10000 on the radiosity tag and I'm still getting patchy shadows as per still herewith...it's not too bad on the still but doing an animation is not on the cards with the flickering I get.

In that case 10000 samples shouldn't help to much. Reducing the error property should help more since this flickering is mainly caused by the interpolation between the samples (the red dots).

The problem is that within an animation the samples aren't calculated at the same position again.

The trick is to reuse the samples from the former image but this only works for static scenes. Nevertheless it is on my todo list.

Bye,
Martin

Martin said:
Sorry not yet.

In that case 10000 samples shouldn't help to much. Reducing the error property should help more since this flickering is mainly caused by the interpolation between the samples (the red dots).

The problem is that within an animation the samples aren't calculated at the same position again.

The trick is to reuse the samples from the former image but this only works for static scenes. Nevertheless it is on my todo list.

Bye,
Martin

Thanks Martin

For now my workaround is to try and get the best result without using the radiosity tag, which for the most times in animation mode it's hardly a disernable concern, and use Radiosity for higher res statics.

Regards

Luke

PS: I'm almost on the verge of getting you a good interview with a notable British sotware Mag if your interested !?

I have been singing your praises all over the place, as it's changed the way I work in 3D... it's just such an amazing piece of kit, that sometimes I don't know if I should shout about it or keep it as a secret wepon...from the PC freaks.

luke Bocchinelli said:
For now my workaround is to try and get the best result without using the radiosity tag, which for the most times in animation mode it's hardly a disernable concern, and use Radiosity for higher res statics.

Especially if you make a long animation that is a good approach.

luke Bocchinelli said:
PS: I'm almost on the verge of getting you a good interview with a notable British sotware Mag if your interested !?

That sounds great. Thank you very much in advance. :D

luke Bocchinelli said:
I have been singing your praises all over the place, as it's changed the way I work in 3D... it's just such an amazing piece of kit, that sometimes I don't know if I should shout about it or keep it as a secret wepon...from the PC freaks.

Oh, thank you very much again. :D

Bye,
Martin

Back