Tutorial to create something from A to Z...why is this missing?

Tutorial to create something from A to Z...why is this missing?

Hi All

after looking around everywhere; I wonder why nobody made a series of videos like the one made for c4d, maya or other apps, where you start from a cube and work your way up to a specific model (human, monster, vehicle, and so on).

They are very useful when you wanna make 7-8 different variation of the same model; so before spending time doing something wrong; a video tutorial like that would really help to go to the point, and then is up to the creative instinct of the artist to make variations that are correct.

I went trough the official c3d tuts (bought v4 and v5); I consider them a good starting point to get acquainted to c3d, but my disappointment was clear when i noticed that the tutorial is not aimed to people that want to learn how to do XXXX, but was a list of each tool and what it does, without giving any practical context,other than changing values and showing that indeed they change something; but if i want a particular effect i gotta try with different values, and this is time consuming.

For example: let's use tool Y to create a necklace, or let's use tool Z to add symmetry to our object, and so on...this would help since you associate the tool with a function, and then start to experiment; to make a comparison with programming, is like when you learn datatypes, and the book shows you how you can put different things in these datatypes, and make simple examples of real cases.

The character creation and animation is also very small, compared to the hour spent showing the UI, that to me was more like a waste of precious space in the course that could be used for modeling, animation and rigging (they were useful, but i could have kept just the v4 videos and be fine, since v5 didn't really added anything relevant to the good base given by v4 tutorial series). That was the part that after all is dear to anyone that starts to use a new software; since you can learn the UI on your own, but you cannot learn how to work on a software in a flash, unless you dedicate a lot of time.

Please don't take this as whining about your tutorials; they rock but i was expecting more from V5 (and again, this does not take away the good things that teach, so take it as .2 cents from a customer that bought the product).

I would be more than happy to buy more tutorials aimed at making something :) a car, an helicopter, an humanoid...whatever it is; the important is that it starts from a concept and end up with rigging and animation setup with the final model.

You could say "so why don't you apply what you learn in the other vids on c3d?" and the simple answer is that you gotta do trial by error, to find how to do something that in that video took 2 seconds with the right tool, and now that you are using c3d the tool is not there, or not the same, so you gotta work on it and spend more time, compared to a specific tutorial for c3d.

Is anyone available to make something like this? C3d is awesome, but Blender has 100X more resources (and with that crappy ui i could understand why :p ) when we talk about training material, and c3d that really deserve a spot, stays aside with only few fully fledged tutorial resources (as mentioned before, i am talking about training dvd; not generic tutorials written for a specific case...these will come handy after that you learn how to make something :D).

Should i start a hunger strike with VTC, Lynda and similar sites, to let them start to make video material for c3d ? :) speaking seriously I would really support in any way that i can, any training material that would be similar to what is available for other software.

Thoughts? Considerations?

Blender is impossible to compete with in this arena. That said, blender is also much harder to use. I don't see huge numbers of tutorials on how to use iMovie either.

Personally, I like focused tutorials that show you one specific or closely related set of things.

That said, my box modeling tutorial goes from cube to biplane, and my uv mapping tutorial then textures the same biplane.

Most poly modeling tutorials for blender and silo are highly transferrable to c3d.

Learning from each other

Hi,

Indeed a really clear and complete set of tutorials and / or manual would be great. But with the price of Cheetah3D I can live with the lack of that.

Also, I have so many manuals from many other products... hardly used them.
Learning and experiencing yourself is not the easiest way, but possible.
Also, you find out your own 'ways of doing' and tricks.

But I have to be honest, the real reason I can live with it, is because of a group of very skilled people who are extremely willing to help, teach, show, share and this with an enormous fast respons time.
(Check this great forum!)

I only wish I was good enough with Cheetah3D... I would write and produce a complete, easy to follow and very affordable manual how to document...
(if Martin would agree, that is;))

Working on my skills... so who knows!

gr.,

Miguel

Blender is impossible to compete with in this arena. That said, blender is also much harder to use. I don't see huge numbers of tutorials on how to use iMovie either.

Personally, I like focused tutorials that show you one specific or closely related set of things.

That said, my box modeling tutorial goes from cube to biplane, and my uv mapping tutorial then textures the same biplane.

Most poly modeling tutorials for blender and silo are highly transferrable to c3d.

That was my point...is harder but has a bunch of video that are very well done, while c3d that is much better (imho, for what i need to do) is not at the same level.

Good luck with imovie; the v6 was the last good one ;) and at least there are books on imovie at borders ;)

I learn in a different way; basically what i need is a tutorial that show me what can be done with a specific set of tools, and then i start on my own experimenting; the focused tutorials are useful for a specific problem; but my approach is that if you need to read a tutorial more than once because you have to execute an operation more than once, means that you need a different approach about how you learn that specific action(in my case rigging and using characters with different animations is making me crazy, so there is something that i am not doing right for sure, either in the rigging, or in the modeling of the character)

can you post the link to your tutorials please?

Hi,

Indeed a really clear and complete set of tutorials and / or manual would be great. But with the price of Cheetah3D I can live with the lack of that.

I think that the price of C3d and the tutorials/manuals are not related; if you check the other companies, they have no video training at all done "in house", and their manual is worst than a manual about how to put together an ikea piece of furniture :)

3rd party companies are the ones that makes good training, my point has never been to complain to Martin to make training vids, but would be nice if he could find a company that makes good material for C3d ;)

Also, I have so many manuals from many other products... hardly used them.
Learning and experiencing yourself is not the easiest way, but possible.
Also, you find out your own 'ways of doing' and tricks.

You must be blessed with a lot of free time ;) I can watch tutorial while at the gym, or read books before going to sleep.... and that's all that i can do during the week...i wish that i would have time to learn, as i used to do in the past :)

But I have to be honest, the real reason I can live with it, is because of a group of very skilled people who are extremely willing to help, teach, show, share and this with an enormous fast respons time.
(Check this great forum!)

Right you are :) but still, gathering resources here and there(many times in posts that you would not expect) is time consuming; and i try to avoid to bother everyone asking here and there unless i need help and cannot do it on my own (kinda like when you look at the solution sheet while having a multiple choice test :p); the benefit of good material would be for users, but also for who makes the software, since more people use it, and more you are expanding the penetration of your product on the market (look at the great move to get involved with Unity3d); so makes everyone happy!

I like the old iMovie and the new one — the new one is probably more useful for its intended audience (and for me for that matter — if I need more I have FCP).

That said, the Mac (and Windows!) really needs a simple, capable video editor that does a bit more than iMovie (HD or '09) without trying to compete with Final Cut or Premiere. Kind of like what Norkross would be if it didn't suck.

basically what i need is a tutorial that show me what can be done with a specific set of tools

I understand what you want, but I just don't think you're going to get it. I guess it would be neat if Martin made a little video of each tool in action and built that into the online help OR if we figured out a way for the community to contribute such a thing (there was an experiment with a wiki that ended badly).

Last edited:
I like the old iMovie and the new one — the new one is probably more useful for its intended audience (and for me for that matter — if I need more I have FCP).

That said, the Mac (and Windows!) really needs a simple, capable video editor that does a bit more than iMovie (HD or '09) without trying to compete with Final Cut or Premiere. Kind of like what Norkross would be if it didn't suck.

I understand what you want, but I just don't think you're going to get it. I guess it would be neat if Martin made a little video of each tool in action and built that into the online help OR if we figured out a way for the community to contribute such a thing (there was an experiment with a wiki that ended badly).

To be fair, iMovie comes free, and Final Cut at £100 is a decent price for a non-linear editing software. You aren't going to find an equilibrium between the two.

Your point about a little video of each tool is basically the v5 tutorials isn't it? Maybe spiced up a little, but focusing on the tool solely. I guess the only there will be quality tutorials for full-scale models is if the most experienced users make them, but they will be busy themselves so it is hard.

It would be nice though if eventually there were a list of a few different tutorials that were available. Even just a clock, human and curtain for example. They are three different types of modelling examples, and beginners could derive techniques when starting a new project by looking at one of these tutorials that is similar to their own.

There are plenty of modeling tutorials around for blender and silo, and the techniques used are about 99% transferrable to c3d. It might be more profitable to provide some short tutorials on how to do something you've seen in such a tutorial in c3d... I guess that mainly comes down to "you may want to use cover when the tutorial says extrude" and "here's hos c3d's selection tools work".

Back