"Free Evaluation" is virtually useless

"Free Evaluation" is virtually useless

I'm a rank beginner considering taking the plunge into modeling. I'd like to try this program, but they have the same silly restriction as a lot of other complex software: you can't save documents.

So, in order to actually get a feel for using the program, I have to do everything in one session. Sorry, I don't have that kind of time.

What would it hurt if the trial version was limited to, say, 30 days, with no more than, say, 5 editing sessions on a document? Or anything that would actually let you give the program a significant workout. :(

RobLewis said:
I'm a rank beginner considering taking the plunge into modeling. I'd like to try this program, but they have the same silly restriction as a lot of other complex software: you can't save documents.

So, in order to actually get a feel for using the program, I have to do everything in one session. Sorry, I don't have that kind of time.

What would it hurt if the trial version was limited to, say, 30 days, with no more than, say, 5 editing sessions on a document? Or anything that would actually let you give the program a significant workout. :(

Not even a "Please" ! Not even a "Thank you" since you are asking and, I guess, expecting an answer ! Are you in a bad moon today ?
The Cheetah3D forum has a very nice community always ready to help anyone. And if you are a beginner, you might need some help one day. So it's probably wise to be nice with your comments/questions. This beeing said :

- I will not comment on the Save function in the demo version
- You can get a real good feel at Cheetah3D without saving since the demo has no time limit and allow you to use ALL the modeling/rendering functions as long as you want.
- If you don't have the time, maybe you should consider buying the software right away and then you can save. You will find here a lot of users fully happy with Cheetah3D and ready to help you. Including me.

IMHO, there's no need to be able to save files in order to evaluate C3D. If you're looking for a 3D application, you know what features you're looking for. Just download the demo, test those features, do the tutorials (they will help to get an idea of the taste of the app), and then compare the stuff/price ratio with other apps in the market.

The decision is then easy: Does C3D lack any feature that you really need? Does it meet your needs? Do you find it comfortable to use? etc...

I decided to buy it (both the 2.x and the upgrade to 3.x) because it provides most of the stuff I was looking for. However, I don't consider C3D as perfect, because I find some of its features a bit uncomfortable (specially placing small objects in big scenes, it usually requires a lot of hard work with the mouse -move the axes, move the camera, move the axes, move the camera, move the axes, move the camera, repeat 100 times-, and you may end having to type coordinates for placing the objects... All of this could be a really easy and pleasant process if axes editing was more user friendly), but even considering the things I don't like in C3D, it's still a winner in features/price for the Mac. Moreover, the new additions like the UV editor are really nice.

I also use my own software, in-house developed, in which I implemented a more comfortable approach for placing objects in scenes, so I usually do scene composition in my software, and then export to C3D.

Well, CES, you're exactly the kind of power user I'm not

I don't even know enough to know what features I need! That's why I can't simply prepare a checklist and sit down at the computer and go through it. Sometimes you have to just get a "feel" for an application, and given all the fumbling around I will no doubt have to do, it's simply not realistic for me to do it in one session with something this complex.

As you may have noticed, my complaint isn't just against Cheetah3D--it's against all makers of complex software that have save-disabled trial versions. I just think they're cutting their own throats in a way.

Hi,
I can understand your complain. But the problem is that time limited demos are quite easy to hack :( And Hackers are already for "No save" demos a quite serious problem.

One the other side is the Cheetah3D demo quite liberal. You can even save rendered images without water marks. Plus you can test Cheetah3D longer than 30 days.

All in all I think the "No save" demos offer enough possibilities to test the feature set of an app to determine if you like it or not.

By,
Martin

ces said:
I also use my own software, in-house developed, in which I implemented a more comfortable approach for placing objects in scenes, so I usually do scene composition in my software, and then export to C3D.

Hi ces,
could I have a testdrive with your software. Maybe I can learn something. ;)

By,
Martin

Back